Brick Barbecue

olivierthai

My father was a mason and built brick and stone and cement block structures including several BBQ's. I have never heard of premade brick ovens,etc.But that doesn't mean they do not exist. I would look online for various designs and then get a local bricklayer to build it for you. A couple of strong recommendations though. You will need to line the inside of the firebox with what are called "firebricks" that can withstand the heat. You will also need to educate the bricklayer about the need to add lime to his mortar mix. Typically when the locals build with bricks here they leave out this crucial ingredient. What it does is makes the mortar "stick" to the bricks, like a glue. Without the lime the brickwork can easily come apart. Mix the mortar with 5 parts mason sand, two parts cement and one part lime. 5-2-1 good luckB)

• Like 1

My father was a mason and built brick and stone and cement block structures including several BBQ's. I have never heard of premade brick ovens,etc.But that doesn't mean they do not exist. I would look online for various designs and then get a local bricklayer to build it for you. A couple of strong recommendations though. You will need to line the inside of the firebox with what are called "firebricks" that can withstand the heat. You will also need to educate the bricklayer about the need to add lime to his mortar mix. Typically when the locals build with bricks here they leave out this crucial ingredient. What it does is makes the mortar "stick" to the bricks, like a glue. Without the lime the brickwork can easily come apart. Mix the mortar with 5 parts mason sand, two parts cement and one part lime. 5-2-1 good luckB)

Hi,

thanks for your answer...I am really not an expert and doesn't trust my house builder who wanted to buid with normal bricks...This is the reason why I try to buy one finished...if you know any dealer and have price and quotation .it will be very nice...A+

I just did a quick google search and found no premade ones. Premade sounds like a bad idea for many reasons to me. My suggestion would be to find a more competent bricklayer who is open to learning better techniques. I doubt you are married to the one you mention.If not built correctly a brick BBQ will turn into a pile of rubble in short time. Can I say "short time " on this forum???

hi, i have wanted to build a brick bar b g for some time now but am unable to find the lava rock.

anyone know where i can get this. by the way i want to use a gas burner hence the lava rock.

many thanks for all advice. :jap:

hi, i have wanted to build a brick bar b g for some time now but am unable to find the lava rock.

anyone know where i can get this. by the way i want to use a gas burner hence the lava rock.

I would look in some of the landscapers supply yards. Look for the red rocks or check with some of the expensive BBQ shops that are around.

Closest source for lava would be Indonesia.

I have installed some prefab BBQ's in public parks - precast concrete and stainless steel plates and interior workings. Needed a Hy-Ab crane to place into position on concrete slab. Being commercial quality they don't come cheap - last on was about 170,000 THB before installation costs and the supply of electricity . Gas ones would be cheaper (marginally) . I don't think this is what you had in mind, but they are available.

Edited by xen

Why in this world would you want a brick BBQ.

Nobody, and I mean nobody here in LoS builds a brick unit.

Why not choose a portable smoker unit.

There are even threads on Tv of other members doing such.

A hel_l of a lot cheaper,

- portable

- better units have a rotisserie,

- they can have temp units

- they can use gas (LPG or Propane)

- they can have a "water tank" to imbed a steam cook.

The list just goes on...

dam_n, there are many free plans on the internet to build these.

Here in Thailand, you could not PAY me to want to build a brick BBQ.

Why would one want to bother?

Oh my, how about a whole suckling pig on the rotisserie,

being slow cooked with mesquite wood smoke.

Ummmy, Ummmy, Ummmy.

We in the USA take our BBQ very seriously :)

Guess I have to post some links.

Why in this world would you want a brick BBQ.

Nobody, and I mean nobody here in LoS builds a brick unit.

Why not choose a portable smoker unit.

There are even threads on Tv of other members doing such.

A hel_l of a lot cheaper,

- portable

- better units have a rotisserie,

- they can have temp units

- they can use gas (LPG or Propane)

- they can have a "water tank" to imbed a steam cook.

The list just goes on...

dam_n, there are many free plans on the internet to build these.

Here in Thailand, you could not PAY me to want to build a brick BBQ.

Why would one want to bother?

Oh my, how about a whole suckling pig on the rotisserie,

being slow cooked with mesquite wood smoke.

Ummmy, Ummmy, Ummmy.

We in the USA take our BBQ very seriously :)

Guess I have to post some links.

There are a few of us Americans who live here in the land of the fake smiles who do have brick barbecues and have them for various reasons. The best ribs you will ever eat in Thailand are cooked in Chiang Mai at The Dukes Restaurant. Hands down...the meat falls off the bone by just looking sideways at it. Do not have to even pick 'em up. And of course cooked in a "Guess what!!??" a beautiful brick oven... It can be very cheap to build them also but you got me on the portability aspect.:o

This is for a pizza oven, not sure if it's what you are looking for.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/pizza-oven-thailand-2029.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/pizza-oven-thailand-2029.html

To the gentleman in Chiang Mai, I have to disagree, the best ribs in Thailand are in my backyard slowly cooked on a Big Green Egg.

Edited by ACMIKE

While it's a pain in the butt to get the charcoal going etc. - my little Weber still puts out the best BBQ for whatever. (although I do enjoy my gas grill too, and I've used just about everything) It doesn't take much searching to find about a zillion different constuctions, schemes, and styles of smokers, grills, ovens, and combinations thereof. I would suggest something that "looks good" b/c in the end, it doesn't matter what you get, it comes down to how you prepare and cook it.

As for "lava rocks" - in my opinion those are the silliest things ever "invented" for BBQ. You could use just about anything ceramic (like a broken clay pot?) to do the same thing and change it out after it gets disgusting. Or, don't bother and use water soaked aromatic wood chips for the smoke effect instead.