Is Samui Really That Bad?

I've been living in BKK for about 3 years, and - together with my Thai wife - have got 3 successful tourist bars established. (I also have a UK IT business which generates very decent incomes, so we are doing ok...)

Last year we bought some building land in Phuket. Our intention was to build a small holiday resort for disabled holidaymakers, and use this as our base in Thailand. However, the tsunami has made us think again about the viability of such a project in Phuket.

So we have started to think about Samui as a possible location for this venture. But I only seem to hear bad comments about the island! When I visit it does not seem all bad. And our resort need not be in a prime location - it needs to provide good quality service and have decent marketing etc etc

I'd much appreciate comments and advice about Samui, and suggestions as to other locations if the general view is that Samui is going downhill fast! Maybe Krabi or Surat Thani??

cheers - Simon

Hi simon i would say that samui has changed alot over the years.

not sure if it has the infrastucture to enable what you have in mind.

but it is tending to get a name for the ibiza of thailand.

which if you have been latley aint good.

good luck though and when i come out in oct will probably check out ya bars in bkk.

allan

Hi there Simon I wouldn't give up on Phuket so fast you know the last time a wave hit the area was 350 years ago and chances of it happening again are very slim now actually you should be able to get some better deals on land and for sure in a year the toursits will be back and you will be ready for them now of course is very quit there but is a good time to build Good luck sounds like a great project Rick

Nothing wrong with Samui Simon.Your idea is a great one.Sure the island is changing , but so is every other place in the world that becomes popular.Parts of the island are progressing as some say in the Ibiza fashion,but who are we to complain.Tourists are still flocking to them , so they fulfill a need.The island has several areas to suit your needs & away from the hustle & bustle.As any developing area mistakes are done & infrastructure slow to catch up ,but it will get there.

To think that places do not change , is a naive thought by some people, they like to keep it for themselves & unchanged.What was Phuket say 15 years ago?Prgress has it's costs , but at the end your idea to introduce & enable your clientele to enjoy the island's charm is a commendable one.Just do yourself a favour , have a look at TAT figures for Samui , you will be very surprised.

I think when people say that when Samui is going downhill, they mean it in comparison to the 'laid back' place it used to be.

Soon there will be no chance of discovering a deserted beach or cove.

Saying that, there is a new type of clientele visiting Samui. This has also been bolstered by the effects of the Tsunami on Phuket.

Whether these groups continue to patronise Samui remains to be seen.

Either way, people will continue to visit Samui. It offers a relatively inexpensive 'exotic' holiday.

I think the biggest issue right now is infrastructure, or what passes for it. It simple has become inadequate for the density of people hitting the island.

Chronic water shortages, poorly functioning or non-existent sewage systems, can take 30 minutes to travel .5 miles along Chaweng, faster to walk, etc.

Still, it's a great location and one of favorites. :o

Hi Simon.

rumours are that land prices have skyrocketed due to many tourists prefering Samui to Phuket after the tsunami.

Don't know the full story, but as someone else said, don't give up on Phuket, it can only get better and has a better infrastructure for the disabled.

I think the biggest issue right now is infrastructure, or what passes for it. It simple has become inadequate for the density of people hitting the island.

Chronic water shortages, poorly functioning or non-existent sewage systems, can take 30 minutes to travel .5 miles along Chaweng, faster to walk, etc.

Yes, this is what I have heard (and seen). I don't intend to locate this venture near Chaweng, due to the traffic problems etc Imagine trying to push a wheelchair on the street in Chaweng :o

As for the water/sewerage issues, it's important to try to be more responsible for one's own requirements, and not wait for others to provide. So sewerage should not be a problem (my UK house in the country had a soakaway and modern cesspit etc). And water-recycling systems are available to minimise wastage etc.

The inflx of tourists does that that there are tourist attractions that are maybe suitable for disabled visitors, such as orchid/butterfly farm etc.

We will pop over to Samui tomorrow for a few days and do some investigations :D

But keep the comments coming!

Simon

PS - I still own the 6 rai of land on Phuket, (near the airport and beaches), but I will probably sell it if anyone makes me an offer...

And you already have a lot of disabled people who chose to holiday there.

I know, I know! But if I actually had to live there I think I would be jumping off the condo building in 10 minutes!! Yes, I want to run a profitable business, but I still need to consider my own quality of life. And from numerous visits to Pattaya, it definitely does not fit in with what I'm after in life :o

Or, to put it very bluntly from my Thai wife 'Pattaya full of fat, ugly farang khi nok' :D

Simon

PS - Not trying to dig at anyone! Honest!!

And you already have a lot of disabled people who chose to holiday there.

I know, I know! But if I actually had to live there I think I would be jumping off the condo building in 10 minutes!! Yes, I want to run a profitable business, but I still need to consider my own quality of life. And from numerous visits to Pattaya, it definitely does not fit in with what I'm after in life :D

Or, to put it very bluntly from my Thai wife 'Pattaya full of fat, ugly farang khi nok' :D

Simon

PS - Not trying to dig at anyone! Honest!!

Or, to put it very bluntly from my Thai wife 'Pattaya full of fat, ugly farang khi nok' 

Sound pretty narrow minded to me :o (meant in general as a perception of pattaya, not at your wife) :D

You can very easily have a very profitable business (of the right type) and a good life here with your family.

Pattaya? There's no doubt that the place is full of 'working girls and boys' and all kinds of people with 'dubious intentions'.

I certainly wouldn't want my children to grow up in such an environment.

Not that easy to shield them from it.

Narrow minded? Maybe. Why take the chance?

Pattaya? There's no doubt that the place is full of 'working girls and boys'  and all kinds of people with 'dubious intentions'.

:D:D:o

So that labels the whole city does it?

Obviously Samui is free of drunken farangs and women then?

Well, I agree that you can certainly have a profitable business in Pattaya! But every time that I've visited Pattaya I seem to have missed the 'normal' family expats/torists :D But I'm sure they are there....

And Samui also has it's share of drunken farang. So nowhere is perfect. But in choosing samui as a new business location I have based my decision not only on sound (?) business ideas, but also my own personal interests. Mad as it sounds, I enjoy listening to distant broadcast radio stations, and I have a 5000 pound ex-UK government radio receiver for the purpose. For the best reception, I need somewhere that is reasonably electrically quiet! Samui, being an island fits this bill.

So basically I've chosen Samui because I can listen to Radio Afghanistan :o The business comes second but don't tell my wife :D (Seriously, I'm sure this type of business can be successful in most tourist locations, given some hard work and sound business thought. I'm lucky that I can rely on my UK business revenues if it does not make a huge profit. But this relocation is also to make a home for us. Right now I've lived in a 1-bed rented apartment for 3 years in busy BKK!!!)

Simon

Well, I agree that you can certainly have a profitable business in Pattaya!  But every time that I've visited Pattaya I seem to have missed the 'normal' family expats/torists :D  But I'm sure they are there....

And Samui also has it's share of drunken farang.  So nowhere is perfect.  But in choosing samui as a new business location I have based my decision not only on sound (?) business ideas, but also my own personal interests.  Mad as it sounds, I enjoy listening to distant broadcast radio stations, and I have a 5000 pound ex-UK government radio receiver for the purpose.  For the best reception, I need somewhere that is reasonably electrically quiet!  Samui, being an island fits this bill.

So basically I've chosen Samui because I can listen to Radio Afghanistan  :o  The business comes second but don't tell my wife  :D  (Seriously, I'm sure this type of business can be successful in most tourist locations, given some hard work and sound business thought. I'm lucky that I can rely on my UK business revenues if it does not make a huge profit. But this relocation is also to make a home for us.  Right now I've lived in a 1-bed rented apartment for 3 years in busy BKK!!!)

Simon

Good luck with your plans anyway.

Agreed if you have a reliable income from outside then Samui would be a great place to live and relax with the family. :D

Pattaya? There's no doubt that the place is full of 'working girls and boys'  and all kinds of people with 'dubious intentions'.

Dave - no worries Valentino has biased against the great city of Pattaya!!! Anyone who knows Patters knows its a lovely place for all.

I've been living in BKK for about 3 years, and - together with my Thai wife - have got 3 successful tourist bars established.  (I also have a UK IT business which generates very decent incomes, so we are doing ok...)

Last year we bought some building land in Phuket.  Our intention was to build a small holiday resort for disabled holidaymakers, and use this as our base in Thailand.  However, the tsunami has made us think again about the viability of such a project in Phuket.

So we have started to think about Samui as a  possible location for this venture.  But I only seem to hear bad comments about the island!  When I visit it does not seem all bad.  And our resort need not be in a prime location - it needs to provide good quality service and have decent marketing etc etc

I'd much appreciate comments and advice about Samui, and suggestions as to other locations if the general view is that Samui is going downhill fast! Maybe Krabi or Surat Thani??

cheers - Simon

I still don't follow the reasons behind not using Phuket.

1. You have land there already.

2.Tsunami very unlikely to hit again soon, and the fear of the Tsunami from foreign visitors will also be soon forgotten.

3. Good infrastructure, I imagine better facilties as well which will be a bonus especially if your clients are disabled and need special transport around the island.

4. Up and coming - new shopping mall to be built there. Land prices should also go up over time so even if you don't build your business there, why sell your land there? I'm no real estate guy though, better asking Tornado about that.

5. It'll have a better reputation than Samui in a few years as Samui is turning into a lager louts vacation in many parts of the island. Not sure how downhill it is going but I imagine your clients are looking for a more peaceful break away that Samui may not be able to provide 5-10 years down the line.

Just another thing, if you do use Samui for personal reasons why don't you forget the disabled toursts idea and base your clientile around 18-30 holidays/visitors?

A great idea doing something for the disabled, it's honestly something I have in mind along time, but no way to finance.

For disabled, direct flights would be more convenient than changing planes,

Phuket had/have this, Samui will hopefully never have, as for me it's just to full already.

Sightseeing on Samui, all wothwhile could be seen in a day, but with the caotic traffic here, you might better strech it over 3 or 4 days....

Leaving the island for sightseeing takes about 90 minutes with the ferry, one way,

so daytrips to the mainland are quite inconvenient for many disabled.

Phuket having a bridge, you are just on and off the 'island' in a click,

daytrips to Krabi & Phang Nha can be easily done with disabled

Well, thats just some of my thoughts, don't wanna write to much,

in case you decide for Samui, please be very careful with purchasing land there,

there is still some pirate blood running in the veins of many of the islanders...

I know some real good lawyers, they work for you, as you pay them, and I know so many that now regret, not to have spoken to them...

You are welcome to PM me for more.

I life on Samui since 10 years, nothing to do with landsales or lawyers....

:o

I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but... yes, that does label the whole city.

The economy grew from sex tourism. The same cannot be said about Samui.

Almost certainly, you make money in connection with sex for money. Directly or indirectly.

For me, it's a depressing s***hole, full of people looking for their big break.

I spent some months there and had a chance to observe the culture there.

Of course, others may see it differently from me.

Yes Samui is changing... But it's safe to say that most people who travel to Samui don't go there to have sex with poor Thai girls.

Edited by valentinoxxx

Well, I'm just back from a 3 day visit to Samui. Of course, that is a very short time to understand the ins and outs of the island. But here are a few top-level comments:

We went in search of building land, but the prices were certainly higher than Phuket. As a generalisation, all the land brokers were completely useless in their service. We made appointments with 3 brokers, but they all failed to keep the appointments! I then spoke directly to 2 other brokers about specific land plots that they were advertising. After looking me up and down, they told me that the advertised selling price of the land was a mistake, and the price was actually twice that quoted!!!! (Complete w*nkers...)

The land price in north Samui was too high for me, but we did find some nice land in the south of the island. So I'm waiting to see if the owner will agree to sell it to me (we went direct to the Thai owners, rather than wasting any more time with the agents).

From speaking with a number of Thai land owners, my wife got the distinct impression that they did not like the farang agents at all! The common complaint was that these agents had the skill and knowhow to sell the land at an inflated price, via websites and glossy adverts. The Thai families did not have such a skill or experience, and could not therefore sell the land at such a premium.

Chaweng was bustling, but not as bad as some people have indicated. Yes, I did see one drunken farang woman lying comatose on the pavement, (and clearly wearing no underwear!!).

The water shortgage was an issue. we stayed in an upmarket hotel, but the shower water was salty because their well water had turned salty. They had drilled it deeper to try to find better water, but without success.

As to why I don't develop this resort in Phuket, there are a lot of good points for doing just this. The only problem with the land that I own in Phuket is that it is on a slope, and unsuitable for disabled tourists.

Anyway, we will await the reply about the Samui land, but next week we will go and visit Phuket and Krabi. Our ideal dream is to buy some beachfront land, but the selling price of such land seems VERY high :o

Simon

I think Samui has a very special vibe that human beings have so far been able to suppress with their greed, a bit like Jamaica.

However the comments on the so called developers/Real Estate agents are completely correct. When I was there I was interested in a house in Hua Thanon, Agents Koh Samui Land and Homes, priced in their sales magazine at 2.2m baht, when we went to their office it was in the window reduced to 1.7m baht, arranged to take us to see it a couple of days later, but by then someone else was interested. They obviously used this bait to take us on a trip round the island to see a couple of other properties, which we were not interested in, as this 'interest' was obviously known to them all along as by the time our trip was over the property was sold, and probably had been all the time.

Incidentally the 'purchaser' put a bit of 'designer' built in furniture in, planted a few shrubs in the garden and the property has been on the market on their website ever since for 3.9m baht, that is from 1.7m baht in office window to 3.9m baht on todays website www.samuihouseandland.com where it can be viewed today under Hua Thanon, you will note the highly strategic photographs, not revealing the properties limitations.

I know that Estate Agents are sharks the world over and I am sure that the sales techniques imported from the probably more sophisticated UK market, as I believe that is where these people eminanate from, give them the advantage over the locals as much as the advertising media they have access to.

On another tack I read that Samui has been 'run' by a small group of families sometimes alluded to as 'Mafia' because of its isolated beginnings, and some research should be done into the reality of this aspect before pouring a pile of money into such an environment.