Jack-Of-All-Trades

NaiGreg

รู้อย่างเป็ด roo yahng bpet "To know like a duck"

The idea being that a duck can fly, walk and swim, but is not particularly skilled or graceful at any of these things, at least when compared with animals that are dedicated fliers, walkers, or swimmers. A "jack of all trades, but master of none".

จับฉ่าย (Jabchai) is the name of a vegetable stew and is also used to decribe someone who is a jack of all trades. They will try their hand or turn their hand to anything. It infers that such person is a "master of none". An apt description for many of the builders/handymen in Thailand. They will get the job done but it may not look beautiful when finished. :)

ha, both of those are great

Yes, I agree. Thank you guys for your responses.

My wife feels the "duck" idiom is a little bit obscure but the "japchai" stew is a good fit because it has a bit of everything thrown in, but no one ingredient stands out.

-NG

ha, both of those are great

Yes, I agree. Thank you guys for your responses.

My wife feels the "duck" idiom is a little bit obscure but the "japchai" stew is a good fit because it has a bit of everything thrown in, but no one ingredient stands out.

-NG

I'm going to vote for the duck based on Ms. Beckers descriptions below from speak like a thai vol. 2.

To me , japchai seems more like someone trying to do many things at once. Whether they do them well or not

isn't really relevant in the japchai example.

รู้อย่างเป็ด

Familiar with many things , but master of none.

Noi mai ruu jing, kae ruu yaang bpet

Noi doesn’t know anything well, just a little bit of each.

จับฉ่าย

Many things mixed together.

Anne chop tam a-rai japchai.

Anne likes to have many things on her plate at the same time.