Apparently, All Sports Bras Are Inadequate

sbk

Something many of us have figured out. It seems they have developed the right kind of sports bra, but its still in the lab. Maybe they should rename it the Wonder sports bra and see if that gets it manufactured.

Few sports bras are designed to accommodate breasts’ side-to-side or lateral sway.

In fact, one of the most telling recent studies, from the University of Wollongong in Australia, published last month in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, concluded that the most effective style of sports bra, particularly for women who wear a D-cup bra or larger, does not yet exist, at least in stores.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/phys-ed-the-right-kind-of-sports-bra/

that said, has anyone found any decent sports bras in Thailand? I am currently in the US and will buy one here instead I think. Even if its not great its got to be better than the one I currently have.

Hi SBK ~

Just a suggestion for you - especially since you're in the US. When I moved here almost a year ago I brought with me two packs of these:

Fruit of the Loom - 3-Pack Strappy Sport Bras, Style 9036

You can buy them at Wal-Mart and they are very inexpensive.

But they are still "holding up" (haha I couldn't resist) after 10 months of washing and wear. Best sport bras I've ever had. You'd think with spaghetti straps they'd weaken over time but they are just as good as when I bought them. When my friend came to visit last month she brought me two more packs so I have extras now.

Kind regards,

WaatWang

Suprised you didn't know this SBK but in NASCAR they came up with a thingy called the Hans System - not to be confused with the Hands System. Perhaps it may be useful in this case.

Footnote:

Didn't know you were the Sporty Kind of Gal. Figured Migsy and Ms Boo for sure, but in KPG, what kind of sports require sport bras?

The thing ive noticed here is they have sports bras but of a low level. What i mean is that good sports bra brands are graded by activity. The highest level being for running/high impact sports. I still have the same old grubby sports bras i have from the UK, because its impossible to get bras for running here. They are definitely something i will purchase when i get a chance. The lower level bras are ok for low impact sports though.

But im not surprised by the report. ive always felt that even level 3 leaves a lot to be desired. About time some really decent sports bras were developed.

I'm a 34FF (sometimes G depending on the style) and I've found a great bra .... it's called a shock absorber, a British brand, and if you google it it comes up straight away. You can't get in Thailand though or even in normal lingerie shops back home. A year ago or so I went to a specialty bra shop for women D cup + and had a fitting (incidentally, before the fitting I wore a 36E so it's true what Oprah used to say about most people wearing the wrong bra size!). I was hesitant at first as the bra is not underwired but soft cup! I've never ever worn a soft cup before but, amazingly, it actually works really well. It does feel a bit straight jacket like when wearing it but this is so much preferable to major bounce even when wearing a normal underwire bra + normal soft sports bra + exercise top with built in shelf bra as I used to wear.

Edited by sylvafern

Hi sylvafern, its two shock absorber bras that i have. Yes, odd that they are soft form, but as you say they work. I have a normaI styIe and a t-back. Both severaI years oId now :( But as you say, cannot be bought here..at Ieast no where ive found. I honestIy think shock absorber is the best sports bra around at this time. CouId be wrong though.

Suprised you didn't know this SBK but in NASCAR they came up with a thingy called the Hans System - not to be confused with the Hands System. Perhaps it may be useful in this case.

Footnote:

Didn't know you were the Sporty Kind of Gal. Figured Migsy and Ms Boo for sure, but in KPG, what kind of sports require sport bras?

you saying I look like a couch potato???

I'm a bit of an expert in this topic, bigger than SylvaFern and in need of major support, especially since I quite like to run on the treadmill. I think I have tried nearly every "maximum support" bra on the market. Then a couple of years ago I was searching the net for a new option and came across some reviews of the Enell on a runners forum. It is a serious piece of engineering somewhat akin to wrapping a bandage tightly around your chest, but surprisingly comfortable and - look at me everyone - NO BOUNCE :lol: . I particularly like that the load is spread over a wide area as it fits like a vest, so no no more sore shoulders. I see the Biggest Loser competitiors are wearing it this season.

Okay now I'm sounding like an info-mercial. Be warned it is ugly and expensive but well-worth it.

Enell looks similar to some of Shock Absorbers styles. I dont care about ugly underwear when working out, just want to feel comfortable. Not like anyones gonna see it, or that i'll have some passionate encounter at the gym (hmm..well....one can daydream a bit i guess... :lol:) I suppose i could order online, but with certain things i much prefer being able to try something on first, to see how it fits/feels. Not all Thai women have small chests, or dont like working out, so i dont know why there is so little available here.

as a big boobed woman I have never gone for sports bras, I always wear a wide strapped underwired then a tight fitting lycra vest with boob support built in. Works well, good support & no jiggle

Oh golly gosh, to have tits.

I am your original mosquito bite chest person!!

Never worn a bra, and they only bounce if i jump up and down furiously.

Good luck in your endeavours to find the right bra. I have friends who have been suffering for years with back pain etc. I shall pass on your bra makes to them.