Let's talk about depression

Posted (edited)

I just watched a famous Pattaya YouTuber admit he has depression, and was on medication.

One would envy his life and wonder why 

So let's talk about is depression REAL?

I want to tell you guys I travelled to Manila Philippines last week 

Last Wednesday I ordered a Grab from my hotel to the Manila North cemetery,a place where people live 

Every song playing in a Grab in the Philippines is usually slow  1980's music and Air Supply or similar 

The driver doesn't even acknowledge me and the radio is on playing Air Supply,"  just as I am" song 

As soon as I get to Manila North cemetery there is more old sad 1980's  music playing, 

Anyway I walk thru the gates to see people living in maseolums or crypts they look happy and well dressed 

They look at me staring ,there are signs no photos 

I start to imagine sadness and I start crying 

People were looking at me 

I really sorry for these people 

I see a guy and this is no joke sitting on a crypt wearing a 711 uniform well dressed 

I felt sadness he must live in a grave room and work at 711 

I walk up to him ," Do 711 know you live in here and work there ? 

Without even saying what?

He immediately said Yes Sir 

I  started to feel emotional and the manager of the cemetery at the gates seem to be concerned about me as I left crying he asked me if I was ok coming out of his tinted air conditioning office as others are forced to live in grave  tombs ,glasses around his nose ,are you ok sir ?

I hate this in the Philippines being called that

I have no idea about if this was depression?

I feel depression is not real and others  factors,such as real sadness in the heat of the moment 

I find if I don't get my 250mg testereone shot monthly I feel sad ,down ,sad music line air supply goes thru my head 

Is depression real ??

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone suffers depression at some point in their lives, the severity of it and even recognising it for what it is, is another matter entirely. Its called life.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'd be depressed too, if I had to work as a hospital cleaner!

Id be depressed if I had to work at anything other than rolling one up

• Haha 1

Yes, clinical or major depression, is real. Like mentioned, everyone gets depressed at times, especially living in a world full of problems. Some stay depressed much longer. Everyone gets the blues. This is why there are many songs about being down. Listening to them, you can relate, seeing others are also feeling like you are, and it helps drive the blues away.

Some, like my daughter, cousin, girlfriend, a wife before, and a best friend who took his own life, have (had) major depression. The best thing you can have is someone who is there to support you, just to be there to talk to, and who will listen, trying not to give much advice but just to listen. Talking , like talk therapy for depression, is one way for a person suffering to relate and to get their negative feelings out, because keeping them in and thinking too much is one way to make it worse. Some respond to medication, as long as it's the right one, to help with symptoms.

Millions suffer from clinical depression, and it's one reason relationships fail, have problems, and people lose their lives.

My best friend had everything a man could want. A pretty, loving wife, house, car, job, hobbies and many friends. What he didn't have, back then, in 1987, was someone who understood what he was going through, and maybe get him to a doctor and on something to help with his symptoms. I always remembered going to his house when we were young. He would be asleep in the middle of the day, many times, and this, although we (I) didn't know it then, is a major symptom of clinical depression. He was always a class clown, like a Robin Williams, and we know what happened with him.

People have many ways to help themselves to feel better, and some are dangerous. Buying a lot of things, especially online, is one. Having sex a lot helps them feel something else. Drinking and drugs, self medication, is two more.

Many think tomorrow will be worse than today, and think there's only one way out. They can't see past their negative feelings, not understanding tomorrow might bring about a change in their thinking, their brain chemistry, to see things just a little better. Recognizing they have a problem and wanting things to be better is the best first step in getting help.

My daughter likes to smoke weed, and this helps her cope. I've tried to tell her to talk to someone, but it hasn't happened yet. Her mom, my ex girlfriend,  has it, and drives a truck, which helps her to stay focused on making money to live, and it takes up much of her time. Her mother had it, and was a real piece of work, causing a lot of problems in my ex's and my life, both before we met and after. Her dad had it, and hung himself when she was little.  My late cousin had it, and his marriage suffered, until he got on some meds, and it changed his whole life, until he passed from cancer two years ago.

This disease has major effects on the world today, and people hurt others and themselves because of it. There is always a better way, as long as you think about tomorrow, and understand it can be a better day.

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

What was your purpose of the cemetery visit, did you expect to be happy and have fun there?

Actually its a very famous and popular place.  Many people are dying to visit it.

Snaps I took of the place years ago. A lot better than Tondo back then. These are family crypts.

DSC02326.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i get depressed reading anything on these forums with the initials GG...maybe try to get outside more instead of watching youtube....sunlight and fresh air is the script for anyone with the GG....i can think of 2 ppl who should turn off the PC for a bit

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

OP all you ever do is go on about mental health and Psych problems, you need help, Seriously there must be someone who can talk to in 'your' hospital or are you in a padded cell. I am NOT joking. 

• Haha 1

One of my brothers claimed he was "depressed" all his adult life. Horrible wife (that was true lol) but diagnosed bi polar (bollacks) and all the rest and plenty of medication which did nothing......never had much money and his dragon had most of what he did have

When my mother died he got a 6 figure pay cheque as i did

All depression has disappeared. Different person no more moping around lol

In my opinion many people who claim they are depressed are in reality simply "unhappy" with their lives but its easier for the Drs to label it depression

Money doesnt cure everything but it sure as hell goes a long way towards it

I'm NOT saying everyone is like that before I get roasted

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Is depression real ??

Not until I read your dour post lol.

The mind is an untamed beast and has caused untold anxiety in the world. Be like an animal; live in the moment, not the past or future which are not real.

• Like 1

You're probably confusing depression with simply feeling depressed.

Also, lots of well-off people feel like sh*t and lots of poor people are happy.  That's just the way life is.  It's more about your upbringing and what is going on on the inside than how much material wealth you have.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

This Pattaya YouTuber who was talking about it today is a bar owner and for some reason he has no idea why he is depressed?

This is chemically imbalance,is it not ?

which youtuber? there's probably so many things they lose track what's causing it

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd be depressed too, if I had to work as a hospital cleaner!

Bloody good salary in Australia. 

Minimum wage is through the roof, working conditions are high standard, many rest schedules, coffee and lunch breaks etc., it's why Australia can't compete with industry, too expensive for manufactured goods. 

We lost our car manufacturering industry because the unions demanding high wages, shorter working weeks etc. very sad we lost our Holden's 😕

You don't even need a Tertiary education to make a good wage, it's near impossible to get fired. 

It makes sense to work in Australia for a few months of the year then travel to Thailand for a long holiday. 

If I remember the OP owns property in Sydney, minimum house price is $1,000,000, I reckon the OP would be the envy of some here. 

If I wasn't working on offshore drilling rigs around the world I'd be jealous. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I had it in my 20's.  The school that I went to did most of the damage.  Then I realized that you do not have to outwardly please others.  As long as you have some self respect.  I focused on fitness.  Jogging every day.  Punching the bag.  Then I moved to Thailand and got a degree and a job. 

At that point I realized that I can achieve things in in life.  I learnt Thai and play the piano.  It's not true 'if you get a bad grade, your life is over'.  It's amazing how much lasting damage teachers can do with their words.  When the pillars of society and the ones you look up to say you are worthless it takes a long time to recover.  Everyone I met said I was a failure and I would have never imagined getting an education and job.  I have even been asked to join the job interview process.  How the tables have turned.

I remember when I went for my English exam and the teacher laughed ''Why are you here?!  You have no chance of passing it.''  Well I now have a degree in the subject and I teach it.  I am a judge at English competitions.

Ironically only recently the doctor gave me anti depressants called amitriptyline.  I didn't even go in for that but she said it will help.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

It's"  "Buzzin in Pattaya '" YouTuber 

oh right didn't realise it was him. He was getting trolled a lot on facebook, i.e. charity money and police report on girlfriend, they would be reasons