Macbook Air Port Problems

bluesmith

Hi All

Can any body help me I have just brought a MacBook pro what a great machine.

I am up country at the moment staying in a resort that has free wireless no pass word I have been on it before.

Any way when I try to connect to Safari I can not but the air pot single shows it is full strength but I can connect to skype and talk with web cam and all that

what could be wrong I have wirelss at home and can connect no problem and at he moment I just plugged the internet cable in at work a no problems

can any body advise

bluey

If you bought in the last year you should have "free Mac Support". If you bought in Thailand they should have given you a support number when you bought it. Mac support is very good, but I am not sure about that in Thailand and if they have english speaking techs. Questions like these can easily be answered by support staff.

One thing you can try:

Click on the air port symbol and write down the name of the network - perhaps it's called "default", or "The Resort's WiFi" or whatever. Write the name down.

Then go to System Preferences -> Networking. Click the little lock icon in the lower left corner to unlock the advanced settings (why is this so hard - is this a Mac or what? anyway). Then click on your Wifi in the left selection, and Advanced... button, there you'll find a list of Wireless networks the computer has stored. Find the resort's WiFi in that list, and delete it by clicking on the minus ("-") button below.

Then try connecting again. Sometimes you have old settings stored that don't fit the network you're trying to connect to, and that screws things up. Deleting the stored settings solves that problem.

One thing you can try:

Click on the air port symbol and write down the name of the network - perhaps it's called "default", or "The Resort's WiFi" or whatever. Write the name down.

Then go to System Preferences -> Networking. Click the little lock icon in the lower left corner to unlock the advanced settings (why is this so hard - is this a Mac or what? anyway). Then click on your Wifi in the left selection, and Advanced... button, there you'll find a list of Wireless networks the computer has stored. Find the resort's WiFi in that list, and delete it by clicking on the minus ("-") button below.

Then try connecting again. Sometimes you have old settings stored that don't fit the network you're trying to connect to, and that screws things up. Deleting the stored settings solves that problem.

Thanks very much I will try this but 1 thing I do not understand is that i can get on to skype but not safari I rang mac support yesterday they told me to reset safari and empty cashe allow cookies and tirn fire wall of this did not help but I will try your method and see.

Thanks very much I will try this but 1 thing I do not understand is that i can get on to skype but not safari I rang mac support yesterday they told me to reset safari and empty cashe allow cookies and tirn fire wall of this did not help but I will try your method and see.

if you get to skype but not safari then maybe there's some sort of login-redirect on the resort's WiFi where you have to log in with a username. and maybe that system doesn't work on safari. you can try to use Firefox - that usually works.