Russia Slams Bout Extradition, Vows To Bring Him Home

webfact

I am sure Bout would have sold or even had sold his weapons to all sides without discrimination anyone or chose a side. So what is the problem.

He didn't invade into other countries, started wars or dropped atomic bombs or committed any other war crimes some would call 'mistakes' in foreign policy.

And if he hadn't sold his weapons then someone else who have done the business. Maybe that is the problem.

You forget to mention he's also not responsable for the 2004 tsunami, or the Caribian Gulf Oilspill. Maybe that's the problem.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so funny how so many non-Americans are anti-American. It's very obvious that your countries and governments and medias use America as a scapegoat from their own problems and wrong doings even though they followed Bush and whomever else is in charge around like a little puppy dog. It's all just string pulling of course and you guys are the puppets. Don't worry, won't be long now before you are complaining about those terrible Chinese and all their wrong doings.

Edited by Chunky1

Russia summons Thai envoy to protest Bout extradition

MOSCOW, August 20, 2010 (AFP) - The Russian foreign ministry on Friday summoned Thailand's ambassador to express its "extreme disappointment and bewilderment" at the verdict to extradite alleged arms dealer Viktor Bout to the United States.

The ministry said in a statement that Thai ambassador Chalermpol Thanchitt "was invited" for a meeting with Deputy Russian Foreign Minister Alexei Borodavkin.

The Russian side made clear its "extreme disappointment and bewilderment about the politically motivated verdict of the Thai appeals court", it said.

It noted that the decision contradicted an earlier decision by a lower Thai court in August 2009 that had blocked the extradition "owing to insufficient evidence from the American side".

A Thai appeals court on Friday granted a request by the United States to extradite Bout, dubbed the "Merchant of Death", on terrorism charges.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-08-20

Saving face of course.

More than likely, the Russian and the American were at the table negotiating while the Thai was counting all the money he soaked out of each party involved while glancing at the clock every now and then and making sure that nobody's nam-longan got too low.

In the end, it's not much different from a couple of kids trading baseball cards. I am sure the Americans overpaid.

Edited by Chunky1

It's so funny how so many non-Americans are anti-American. It's very obvious that your countries and governments and medias use America as a scapegoat from their own problems and wrong doings even though they followed Bush and whomever else is in charge around like a little puppy dog. It's all just string pulling of course and you guys are the puppets. Don't worry, won't be long now before you are complaining about those terrible Chinese and all their wrong doings.

History shows us you may hit the nail on the head. It may take some struggle, but hopefully peacefully. Not easy, some Brits still pine for their lost Empire which is 'only' 50-odd years ago.

Thai courts not so long ago already refused to extradite him, clearly it upset US in more then 1 way. (possibly the $25 000 000 freebie for nothing was cut off) so decision has been reversed.

Now that decision has upset Russia, what methods they use, surely will be by far more severe then US used to get it approved.

Keep in mind Russia has very strong ties with China, Vietnam, Cambodia and Burma, and all of those mentioned would love nothing more then to upset US.

Do not forget the latest dispute with China over Taiwan:rolleyes:

So will have to wait and see how this one will play out this time.

Here's some more info to balance out the predictable anti-American chorus here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/20/AR2010082000452.html

No mention of Guantanamo. BTW -- it is CLOSING.

Possible plea deal if he spills some good beans, sounds good.

Thailand made the right call. Thank you Thailand.

But in Friday's ruling, the Thai appeals court rejected that logic and Russian allegations that the U.S. indictment was politically motivated.

"Given that the defendant was charged with conspiring to kill American citizens and American officers, conspiring to source . . . anti-aircraft missiles, and acquire weapons for a terrorist group like FARC -- these are criminal offenses not just in the country where he is a plaintiff but also the country receiving the charges," the ruling said.

"The court has decided that these charges have no political characteristic as the lower court ruled," it said. "Therefore the appeals court disagrees with the verdict."

Edited by Jingthing

The State Department called in Thailand's ambassador this week to tell him of U.S. concerns about the potential release. And six senior members of Congress -- three Democrats and three Republicans -- issued a letter to the Thai government Wednesday contending that if Bout is freed, he would sell arms to groups that seek to kill Americans

So in other words,the Americans go free killing any nationality ( again how many citizens they killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? ) but if they even suspect that there could be a chance that an american dies you will have to rot in an American jail.

The State Department called in Thailand's ambassador this week to tell him of U.S. concerns about the potential release. And six senior members of Congress -- three Democrats and three Republicans -- issued a letter to the Thai government Wednesday contending that if Bout is freed, he would sell arms to groups that seek to kill Americans

So in other words,the Americans go free killing any nationality ( again how many citizens they killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? ) but if they even suspect that there could be a chance that an american dies you will have to rot in an American jail.

Just wait until they arrest some US-American citizen or government officials on visit in Thailand and deliver them to any other country that wants them for whatever charges there are more than a few states Thailand has diplomatic relation with that could make up some good reason to get them.

• Like 1

Try googling "Gary McKinnon" to see how America works in its extradition procedure, please come back and tell me if you still support America!

America supplies weapons to all sorts of despicable depots as do the French, British and other major sellers of arms.

Complete hypocrisy i hope he walks.

Gary McKinnon info:

McKinnon has admitted in many public statements that he obtained unauthorised access to computer systems in the United States including those mentioned in the United States indictment.

Dang crazy Americans! Trying to arrest somebody how has admitted hacking into federal sites! Shame on them....oh...maybe it was the anti-american messages he left on those sites?

Sure, America supported many opposition groups...and still does. But as mentioned above, so do many, many, many other countries. Above and below the radar. But at least it is the governments doing it...not some loose cannon selling to the highest bidder and just trying to get rich. He obviously didn't care who got killed...and many did...

If you want to have fun, let's look into every countries past! The Dutch in Indonesia (I visited the Bali site where they massacred 100s of locals), the Spanish in South America (I visited the site where millions died mining silver), most European countries forays into Africa (with devastating results), etc, etc, etc. America is just the latest "easy" target....and people from all over seem to jump on that bandwagon...but for sure, there are some good reasons. Iraq being the latest.

In Russia, the state usually has a hand in illegal arms sales and that's the issue that needs to be hushed up.

Im sure youre right, but America creates gorilla armies and funds all their munitions to fight sovereign states, its something America has constantly done for years now.

Its hypocrisy nothing else.

PS it was American citizens that funded and armed the IRA and your govt who funded Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda etc etc...

My government funded Saddam Hussein? <deleted>? I am not an Italian or German or Chinese national. Those were some of the governments that figured prominently in violating the UN sanctions on Iraq. Or have you conveniently forgotten the "oil for food" scandal? If you are taking a cheap shot at me by assuming my support of the prosecution is motivated by my being a US national, you are very wrong. I am not a US citizen, nor do I hold a visa of any kind. It's about justice, and I'll take whatever I can get.

You refer to the IRA fundraising in predominately Irish communities of the USA, please note that the US government did try to stop the activities. Unfortunately, many of those communities had alot of anger that came from legitimate grudges held against the UK government. Bear in mind, that one of the reason's for success of General Chastelain, the retired Canadian general that brokered the peace deal in Northern Ireland came about because the government of Eire and the US government along with the Northern Ireland community groups both prtestant and Catholic worked hard to stop the fund raising and meddling from the Irish diaspora. The laws were different then and the US government like the government of Eire was hamstrung by a concept called civil rights. Laws had to be drafted that would help stop the support and those laws were enacted.

You refer to the US funded guerilla armies (not gorillas, which are furry creatures that are at risk of extinction thanks to Mr. Bout's supplying of arms which ended up in the hands to poachers); Again, those militias were in a different era. China and Russia all employed a similar strategy. What do you think the Cubans were doing in Angola? It is a strategy that the USA does not support anymore and has not done so for about 25 years.

The argument many people are making here is that because the USA engaged in inappropriate behaviour in the last century, that the US and other nations should accept the activities of people that supplied the arms that faciliated genocides and mass murder in Liberia, Sierra Leone and elsewhere. What a pisspoor argument. Get it through your craniums, that the US is not just acting on behalf of itself, but is acting at the behest of the victims of the people that died due to Mr. Bout's alleged weapons running. I suggest you take the time to look at some of the victims groups and countries that are supporting the USA in this matter. Listen to the cries for justice from the victims.

I appreciate that there is a great deal of resentment against Americans for multiple reasons. However, don't let it blind you to the fact that weapons smugglers have blood dripping from their hands. They make their money off roaming bands of thugs that rape young girls, that turn children into child soldiers and that loot societies. Mr. Bout is lucky that he did not meet the fate of some of the people he dealt with: A bullet in the genitals.

• Like 1

Try googling "Gary McKinnon" to see how America works in its extradition procedure, please come back and tell me if you still support America!

America supplies weapons to all sorts of despicable depots as do the French, British and other major sellers of arms.

Gary McKinnon info:

McKinnon has admitted in many public statements that he obtained unauthorised access to computer systems in the United States including those mentioned in the United States indictment.

Dang crazy Americans! Trying to arrest somebody how has admitted hacking into federal sites! Shame on them....oh...maybe it was the anti-american messages he left on those sites?

Sure, America supported many opposition groups...and still does. But as mentioned above, so do many, many, many other countries. Above and below the radar. But at least it is the governments doing it...not some loose cannon selling to the highest bidder and just trying to get rich. He obviously didn't care who got killed...and many did...

If you want to have fun, let's look into every countries past! The Dutch in Indonesia (I visited the Bali site where they massacred 100s of locals), the Spanish in South America (I visited the site where millions died mining silver), most European countries forays into Africa (with devastating results), etc, etc, etc. America is just the latest "easy" target....and people from all over seem to jump on that bandwagon...but for sure, there are some good reasons. Iraq being the latest.

Craig with all respect but I think there is a difference between supporting opposition groups and providing them with weapons,which is what America does in many cases.

I also think it is not appropriate to compare the actions from other country's 100 years ago with the current actions of a nation.

It would be foolish to blame it's citizens but the American government is in my eyes the most evil creature in history.And that counts on many aspects.They are the reason for the unrest in most part of the world and for the economic situation in which we are currently just to name a few.And still they think they can rule the world,shame on them.

Gary McKinnon info:

Craig with all respect but I think there is a difference between supporting opposition groups and providing them with weapons,which is what America does in many cases.

I also think it is not appropriate to compare the actions from other country's 100 years ago with the current actions of a nation.

It would be foolish to blame it's citizens but the American government is in my eyes the most evil creature in history.And that counts on many aspects.They are the reason for the unrest in most part of the world and for the economic situation in which we are currently just to name a few.And still they think they can rule the world,shame on them.

What part of thee world do u come from Gary

the American government is in my eyes the most evil creature in history

Are you serious? If it hadn't been for the blood of American kids spilled all over the South Pacific, most people in SE Asia would have been speaking Japanese and worshipping before shrines of Tojo et al. And Mr. Hitler was just spreading love and goodwill as he marched off people to death camps? I suppose you think the sacrifice in Korea was the result of American machinations too? The freedom now enjoyed in the former east bloc came about because the US followed Prime Minister Thatcher's roadmap to cracking open the iron curtain.

How can a rational person spew such nonsense? You should count your blessings that the USA exists, otherwise many of the freedoms we take for granted would not exist. An evil creature? Well then next time you need medical treatment decline it, since chances are a great chunk of the technology and advances originated from the USA and people that went there because the environment encouraged their innovation and creativity. If you have a chip on your shoulder about the USA, then go seek therapy. It is a nation of over 300MM people that encompass all forms of political belief, national origin, religion, creed and ethnicity. It is a simpleton that blames the USA for the world's ills. The problems of this world start with people like you. Look in the nirror and you will find one of the many reasons why the world has problems.. I'll take my chances with the Americans over the moral bankruptcy of many other countries.

• Like 2

Remind me again who it was who armed, trained and financed the Sandinistas, the contras, the Mujahadeen etc etc etc and assisted in the overthrowing of legitimate Governments throughout the world. Chile, Iran, Indonesia to name but a few. YEP the biggest arms dealer in the world the Good Ol USA.

Seems to me they just want to take out the competition. As for Obama not being Bush, your'e right there. he is far worse than Bush ever was.

If the guy makes it to the States he will never see the light of day again. My money is on him escaping before ;)

the American government is in my eyes the most evil creature in history

Are you serious? If it hadn't been for the blood of American kids spilled all over the South Pacific, most people in SE Asia would have been speaking Japanese and worshipping before shrines of Tojo et al. And Mr. Hitler was just spreading love and goodwill as he marched off people to death camps? I suppose you think the sacrifice in Korea was the result of American machinations too? The freedom now enjoyed in the former east bloc came about because the US followed Prime Minister Thatcher's roadmap to cracking open the iron curtain.

How can a rational person spew such nonsense? You should count your blessings that the USA exists, otherwise many of the freedoms we take for granted would not exist. An evil creature? Well then next time you need medical treatment decline it, since chances are a great chunk of the technology and advances originated from the USA and people that went there because the environment encouraged their innovation and creativity. If you have a chip on your shoulder about the USA, then go seek therapy. It is a nation of over 300MM people that encompass all forms of political belief, national origin, religion, creed and ethnicity. It is a simpleton that blames the USA for the world's ills. The problems of this world start with people like you. Look in the nirror and you will find one of the many reasons why the world has problems.. I'll take my chances with the Americans over the moral bankruptcy of many other countries.

Just for a change take a look at dictators of the world.Maybe you change your thoughts about the goodness and kindness of the US.

I suggest you click on the Europe and middle east link inside the webpage and read the real relationship between Hitler and the US.

Actually I think they should change place with Victor Bout.

Edited by basjke

Bout if guilty of stuff should be tried but if anyone thinks he was acting alone in supplying the weapons to kill children etc across multiple continents they are insanme. There are multipl state and non-state actors supplying those all the time and most modern militaries are guilty of an attrocity or tw. What decides whether you get tried ot not is how much power you have in world bodies. Compared to the large arms supplying states (US, China, France, UK, Israel etc) what Bout did if proven was on a relatively small scale, but it was still probably illegal. What is illegal may thouhgh not be as bad as something that is utterly immoral and unethical but done behind a smokescreen of legal action.

Arms dealing, war and economic exploitation arent nice things. However, how many people are going to insist their own countries stop doing what they do, and as we speak innocents are dying across the world with weapons built in our countries and traded by our governments.

Bout being guilty or comiting any crimes really has nothing to do with all of this. The US does not value him as such a high intrest target because

of his criminal or suspect activities but for the work he has done for them in the past and that knowledge, and the same goes for Russia.

both countries don't care what he has done, if they did they would had done something about it long ago but at that time he was to much of an asset.

Gary McKinnon info:

I hear what you are saying. The US government is a bit arrogant in it's dealing with the rest of the world. There are many things that could be done much better. But, they are the 800 pound gorilla...or as some would say, the bull in the china shop. I think the intentions of most citizens in the world are good...just get screwed up as they get implemented? Hey!!!!! At least we don't have Bush any more!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Bout also supplied opposition groups with weapons...as well as thugs, criminals, etc. Anyone with money. Anyone with an intent to kill. Big difference between what he has done and what most modern nations have done (Russia, China, etc are included in countries supporting rouge regimes with weapons).

You are absolutely correct that what was done years ago is different from today...but some of the atrocities done in years past by many of the modern nations way out do what the US has done recently. But then again, that is ancient history...

So you are comparing the US government to the one in Somalia? Yemen? Venezuela? North Korea? To Hitler? To Stalin? Can't even compare...apples and oranges...No way the US government is the most evil in history. Not even close. Sorry, but that comment is a slap in the face of all the Americans who died providing YOU the freedom you currently have. Very sad comment. I bet your country was one of the beneficiaries of US actions in the past. Many are....

The US government has done some very bad things...with some good intentions...but still were very bad. I absolutely DO NOT agree with some of the things they have done. BUT! What I do support is their mission to try and help abused citizens around the world. What was done recently to that woman in Iran is inexcusable. Same with Darfur. Same with North Korea. Those people are poor and are just being abused by governments who are only trying to enrich themselves. IMHO! :jap:

If we had a functional UN, things might be different. But it is not...so the US tries to take on that role. Maybe they are not perfect, but at least they are trying...and thus an easy target for many folks.

Hot topic for sure. But I am sure of one thing, most on TV all want the same thing. World peace. Right? Ok, now for our next dream...

All a bit of a Joke when you consider the US has provided ARMS directly into the hands of the worlds biggest terrorist Osama Bin Laden but of course that was when they had an interest to do do so.

Hypocrits

Ahh but a the time he was a "freedom fighter" fighting the commies....:whistling:

I am not anti-American per se, and have some good American friends, but agree with you on the hypocrisy bit.....

All governments are hypocrites. I'll have to send a memo to my main girl Hillary to tell her, "They don't like us, they really really don't like us." In any case, the USA position is that this perp had broken US laws, and now he will face those charges in a court of law where he will be able to pay for a world class defense lawyer. You want to politicize this, but ultimately this is going to be a criminal case.

• Like 1

All governments are hypocrites. I'll have to send a memo to my main girl Hillary to tell her, "They don't like us, they really really don't like us." In any case, the USA position is that this perp had broken US laws, and now he will face those charges in a court of law where he will be able to pay for a world class defense lawyer. You want to politicize this, but ultimately this is going to be a criminal case.

How has he broke US laws if he has not been in the US

I guess the US has worldwide laws that we all must adhere to or else.

I too have many US frineds but the USA's hypocricy for example backing and defending of Israels war crimes on Palestinians you can understand why many around the world hate Americans.

I dont but can understand why many do

Edited by FarangCravings

Why do I have feeling that this subject is going right off topic and the arab/Israeli conflict is going to rear its ugly head again on TV...... :whistling:

Because you're clairvoyant, or did God tell you ?

How has he broke US laws if he has not been in the US

I guess the US has worldwide laws that we all must adhere to or else.

I too have many US frineds but the USA's hypocricy for example backing and defending of Israels war crimes on Palestinians you can understand why many around the world hate Americans.

I dont but can understand why many do

Read the second post. It outlines what laws the US feels he broke. Here is an excerpt:

"US prosecutors claim he agreed to the sale with the understanding that the weapons were to be used to attack United States helicopters."

Seems pretty clear to me. His freedom is not worth one life...from any country, much less mine.

History shows us you may hit the nail on the head. It may take some struggle, but hopefully peacefully. Not easy, some Brits still pine for their lost Empire which is 'only' 50-odd years ago.

Which Brits are these?

Ive been British for my entire 35 years and ive never met one who has ever spoken about his pride in the empire or has ever mentioned about wishing the British Empire was still alive or for that matter has ever had his life en-richened because of it, but keep on coming out with your simpleton American tales youve clearly made up.

Good luck to Bout i hope he walks.

Edited by NamF0n
  • Like 1

Yeah, I understand the hate when it comes to the virulent anti-Israeli bias from Europeans. Wish I didn't but I do.

The people of Britain dont hate Israel, we couldnt care less! but well done for your Fox News like intelligence and made up tale.

• Like 1