Russia Slams Bout Extradition, Vows To Bring Him Home

webfact

All governments are hypocrites. I'll have to send a memo to my main girl Hillary to tell her, "They don't like us, they really really don't like us." In any case, the USA position is that this perp had broken US laws, and now he will face those charges in a court of law where he will be able to pay for a world class defense lawyer. You want to politicize this, but ultimately this is going to be a criminal case.

How has he broke US laws if he has not been in the US

I guess the US has worldwide laws that we all must adhere to or else.

I too have many US frineds but the USA's hypocricy for example backing and defending of Israels war crimes on Palestinians you can understand why many around the world hate Americans.

I dont but can understand why many do

Read the second post. It outlines what laws the US feels he broke. Here is an excerpt:

"US prosecutors claim he agreed to the sale with the understanding that the weapons were to be used to attack United States helicopters."

Seems pretty clear to me. His freedom is not worth one life...from any country, much less mine.

Which was a set up, and entrapment RIGHT reason Thailand did not prosecute him was he has committed NO CRIME in Thailand and all this is the direct result of a US set up.

I too hope he walks

• Like 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When this happened I noted that the original indictment was, at best flawed, this was then speedily replaced with one which added the accusation of harm to Americans IIRC. The issue was and by and large remains that he committed no crime upon Thai soil, and probably the arrest was too early. Did the locals go in too quickly I wonder? If he had entered into meaningful discussions at the Sofitel maybe that would have been more convincing.

The next issue seems to be that much of the apparent evidence in this case will have to be supported by a [former] business associate who has disappeared [presumably under Federal protection] with a probable immunity deal in place. Even allowing for the Supreme Court mandated approach that more weight should be given to evidence provide by the authorities the case is more questionable than many may appreciate.

Further, what happens if the defence calls those form the various other TLA's [the action here was under DEA!] to the stand, or even the UNHCR officials who used his companies repeatedly to ship humanitarian supplies into 'hot zones' [they where often the only ones willing to do it and the 'front' claim is unsubstantiated] or the point that the DoD contracted with his companies to provide logistical support for the Iraq war. On the last point, there's vigorous discussion as to timing since in 2004 he and his companies were placed on a prohibited list [for US companies and entities to do business with].

As to the whole 'merchant of death' label, he was used as a conduit during the fall of the Soviet Union, for sure, and may have continued to provide such services to the highest bidder for years. There are again suggestions that other {US & European} TLA'a were active in using his facilities off the books at that time as well. Which might explain the lack of enthusiasm by them to put such a sting in place, compared to the DEA, who after all keep trying to push the FARC as a key supplier of illegal drugs into the US.

So this is all criminal not political then <where's the emoticon for irony?>

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller
  • Like 1

Try googling "Gary McKinnon" to see how America works in its extradition procedure, please come back and tell me if you still support America!

America supplies weapons to all sorts of despicable depots as do the French, British and other major sellers of arms.

Complete hypocrisy i hope he walks.

Gary McKinnon info:

McKinnon has admitted in many public statements that he obtained unauthorised access to computer systems in the United States including those mentioned in the United States indictment.

Dang crazy Americans! Trying to arrest somebody how has admitted hacking into federal sites! Shame on them....oh...maybe it was the anti-american messages he left on those sites?

OK dumbdumb read a little bit more, please go deeper then what CNN offers you might just learn something. But you wont i know as youre edukated.

• Like 1

It's so funny how so many non-Americans are anti-American. It's very obvious that your countries and governments and medias use America as a scapegoat from their own problems and wrong doings even though they followed Bush and whomever else is in charge around like a little puppy dog. It's all just string pulling of course and you guys are the puppets. Don't worry, won't be long now before you are complaining about those terrible Chinese and all their wrong doings.

Nope my simpleton American buddy we dont back our govts. one iota in their wrongdoings and using overly excessive powers, but im starting to feel sorry for the poor American govt with all this victim status on display on this forum.

• Like 1

Try googling "Gary McKinnon" to see how America works in its extradition procedure, please come back and tell me if you still support America!

America supplies weapons to all sorts of despicable depots as do the French, British and other major sellers of arms.

Gary McKinnon info:

McKinnon has admitted in many public statements that he obtained unauthorised access to computer systems in the United States including those mentioned in the United States indictment.

Dang crazy Americans! Trying to arrest somebody how has admitted hacking into federal sites! Shame on them....oh...maybe it was the anti-american messages he left on those sites?

OK dumbdumb read a little bit more, please go deeper then what CNN offers you might just learn something. But you wont i know as youre edukated.

What? Please keep this above board. I never claim to have perfect knowledge on anything. Just enjoy a lively discussion...without personal slams.

BTW...CNN is just one of many news outlets I read. It is always interesting to getting each side of the story...well, as best you can!

It's so funny how so many non-Americans are anti-American. It's very obvious that your countries and governments and medias use America as a scapegoat from their own problems and wrong doings even though they followed Bush and whomever else is in charge around like a little puppy dog. It's all just string pulling of course and you guys are the puppets. Don't worry, won't be long now before you are complaining about those terrible Chinese and all their wrong doings.

Nope my simpleton American buddy we dont back our govts. one iota in their wrongdoings and using overly excessive powers, but im starting to feel sorry for the poor American govt with all this victim status on display on this forum.

:thumbsup:

'We' also don't hate the Chinese or stereotype all non-Americans.

All governments are hypocrites. I'll have to send a memo to my main girl Hillary to tell her, "They don't like us, they really really don't like us." In any case, the USA position is that this perp had broken US laws, and now he will face those charges in a court of law where he will be able to pay for a world class defense lawyer. You want to politicize this, but ultimately this is going to be a criminal case.

I too have many US frineds but the USA's hypocricy for example backing and defending of Israels war crimes on Palestinians you can understand why many around the world hate Americans.

Read the second post. It outlines what laws the US feels he broke. Here is an excerpt:

"US prosecutors claim he agreed to the sale with the understanding that the weapons were to be used to attack United States helicopters."

Seems pretty clear to me. His freedom is not worth one life...from any country, much less mine.

Where exactly these helicopter attacks supposed to be happen?

Some could argue that it actually saves life if the numbers of US helicopters are getting reduced.

History shows us you may hit the nail on the head. It may take some struggle, but hopefully peacefully. Not easy, some Brits still pine for their lost Empire which is 'only' 50-odd years ago.

Which Brits are these?

Ive been British for my entire 35 years and ive never met one who has ever spoken about his pride in the empire or has ever mentioned about wishing the British Empire was still alive or for that matter has ever had his life en-richened because of it, but keep on coming out with your simpleton American tales youve clearly made up.

Good luck to Bout i hope he walks.

At 35 now you were seven when old glory came in the form of a successful Falklands War. As for the American tales, nah, I'm genuine Dutch uncle :lol:

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Gary McKinnon info:

What? Please keep this above board. I never claim to have perfect knowledge on anything. Just enjoy a lively discussion...without personal slams.

BTW...CNN is just one of many news outlets I read. It is always interesting to getting each side of the story...well, as best you can!

Believe me the extradition is a joke, but its the former US lapdog Labour govt. that back it.

Anyway how any of you Americans can back your govt in such a case be it Dems or Reps is beyond me, its pure hypocrisy and nothing less, and nothing to do with anti Americanist as its just your constant overbearing govt thats despised for reasons such as the one above not the people.

• Like 1

History shows us you may hit the nail on the head. It may take some struggle, but hopefully peacefully. Not easy, some Brits still pine for their lost Empire which is 'only' 50-odd years ago.

Which Brits are these?

Ive been British for my entire 35 years and ive never met one who has ever spoken about his pride in the empire or has ever mentioned about wishing the British Empire was still alive or for that matter has ever had his life en-richened because of it, but keep on coming out with your simpleton American tales youve clearly made up.

At 35 now you were seven when old glory came in the form of a successful Falklands War. As for the American tales, nah, I'm genuine Dutch uncle :lol:

Oh lord, who left the kindergarten gates open again?

&lt;deleted&gt;? What has the Falklands invasion got to do with extradition of a suspected terrorist??? It was never glory, Thatcher (the iron lady) actually cried at a cabinet meeting because of the loss of life the British troops suffered in removing the Argentinian invaders (the Fawklands was claimed by Britain - and there is a marker stone still in place there - when it was uninhabited other than by penguines and Argentina did not exist yet).

You have made many attacks in your posts on the British, so I guess you have a serious chip on your shoulder. As I rate your comments as somewhat childish and infactual, I'll shall add you to my ignore list.

• Like 1

One can understand Russia's argument here - on what grounds does th USA have to extradite - on suspicion that he may sell arms that may shoot down helicopters? On that basis, anyone could be extradited. The McKinnon case was ill-founded and became a face saving thing for the USA I believe (which ultimately became an embarrassment). I'm still reminded of the USA's refusal to extradite (or even name) the friendly fire pilots that the UK wished to interview with possible intention to prosecute for negligence (one particular case where a convoy was shot up that had clear markings, was on a planned and registered route and had working transponders).

• Like 1

Which Brits are these?

Oh lord, who left the kindergarten gates open again?

&lt;deleted&gt;? What has the Falklands invasion got to do with extradition of a suspected terrorist??? It was never glory, Thatcher (the iron lady) actually cried at a cabinet meeting because of the loss of life the British troops suffered in removing the Argentinian invaders (the Fawklands was claimed by Britain - and there is a marker stone still in place there - when it was uninhabited other than by penguines and Argentina did not exist yet).

You have made many attacks in your posts on the British, so I guess you have a serious chip on your shoulder. As I rate your comments as somewhat childish and infactual, I'll shall add you to my ignore list.

If this is a reply on my remark, I can only say 'thank you for putting me on your ignore list', I can live with that. If you refer to one of the other posters I apologise.

I thought that arms traffickers, murderers and terrorists can get bail ... just need to promise no to run out of country, kill someone or burn down remaining of Central World

Let this guy go. He was setup by the U.S. for FARC by Mr. Bush and Chaney.

One can understand Russia's argument here - on what grounds does th USA have to extradite - on suspicion that he may sell arms that may shoot down helicopters? On that basis, anyone could be extradited. The McKinnon case was ill-founded and became a face saving thing for the USA I believe (which ultimately became an embarrassment). I'm still reminded of the USA's refusal to extradite (or even name) the friendly fire pilots that the UK wished to interview with possible intention to prosecute for negligence (one particular case where a convoy was shot up that had clear markings, was on a planned and registered route and had working transponders).

The following quote is probably familiar to many people after the happenings in the Iraqi prisons.

"Washington anticipated and prepared in advance for the war crimes now being committed against the Iraqi people. No criminal charges can be brought against a US soldier in Iraq because the puppet Iraqi Governing Council has given the American military a blanket amnesty from prosecution. Secondly, with the backing of Germany and a number of other countries, no US soldier or citizen can be prosecuted for war crimes in the International Criminal Court. "

Hey we can do anything but don't try to touch us.

• Like 2

Would it be possible for some of you to stop fixating on the USA and take into consideration that Mr. Bout was convicted for arms smuggling into the Congo? Mr. Bout is also implicated in supplying the arms that fueled Charles Taylor's reign of terror in Liberia. Mr. Bout supplied arms during the Amgolan civil war. All of Mr. Bout's actions broke UN sanctions. These were sanctions agreed to by member UN nations including Russia.

Please note too that the pressure to do something about Mr. Bout is being brought by diverse groups such as Amnesty International and Liberia as well as some Scandanavian countries. In the world of real politik, some countries prefer that the USA do their dirty work, but the reality of the Bout case is that multiple European security agencies were implicated in stopping him. It was the German military intelligence that was leading the tracking of transports from Bulgaria. It was the UK and French intelligence services that were gathering the evidence in Africa.

How many of you political experts have even bothered to read the indictment? Please read it as it may change some of your opinions, particularly whether or not he merits being charged.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/states/newsrel/nyc050608_indictment.pdf

And if you need a non biased view as to why the Russians are pulling out all stops to help Mr. Bout, please read today's article in Foreign Policy http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/20/what_does_viktor_bout_know

Instead of trying to find simplistic excuses for Mr. Bout's actions, just stick to the facts. The victims of the weapons he sold want justice and they have asked European governments and the USA to get it for them. Is that so hard to grasp? If you still need some encouragement, go and read the depositions from the mutilated victims of the Liberian war to get another perspective.

+1 :thumbsup:

US law lets them ( feds) get you for intent, more or less what you were thinking.

Which was a set up, and entrapment RIGHT reason Thailand did not prosecute him was he has committed NO CRIME in Thailand and all this is the direct result of a US set up.

I too hope he walks

Would it be possible for some of you to stop fixating on the USA and take into consideration that Mr. Bout was convicted for arms smuggling into the Congo? Mr. Bout is also implicated in supplying the arms that fueled Charles Taylor's reign of terror in Liberia. Mr. Bout supplied arms during the Amgolan civil war. All of Mr. Bout's actions broke UN sanctions. These were sanctions agreed to by member UN nations including Russia.

Please note too that the pressure to do something about Mr. Bout is being brought by diverse groups such as Amnesty International and Liberia as well as some Scandanavian countries. In the world of real politik, some countries prefer that the USA do their dirty work, but the reality of the Bout case is that multiple European security agencies were implicated in stopping him. It was the German military intelligence that was leading the tracking of transports from Bulgaria. It was the UK and French intelligence services that were gathering the evidence in Africa.

How many of you political experts have even bothered to read the indictment? Please read it as it may change some of your opinions, particularly whether or not he merits being charged.

http://www.justice.g..._indictment.pdf

And if you need a non biased view as to why the Russians are pulling out all stops to help Mr. Bout, please read today's article in Foreign Policy http://www.foreignpo...iktor_bout_know

Instead of trying to find simplistic excuses for Mr. Bout's actions, just stick to the facts. The victims of the weapons he sold want justice and they have asked European governments and the USA to get it for them. Is that so hard to grasp? If you still need some encouragement, go and read the depositions from the mutilated victims of the Liberian war to get another perspective.

+1 :thumbsup:

Facts can be so inconvenient sometimes. What.....no more blame bush and Israel comments????

I thought that arms traffickers, murderers and terrorists can get bail ... just need to promise no to run out of country, kill someone or burn down remaining of Central World

Let this guy go. He was setup by the U.S. for FARC by Mr. Bush and Chaney.

Doubt Bush and CHENEY even knew what was going on. I am amazed at how many people prefer to bash the US rather than focus on getting a scum bag off the streets who has been directly responsible for the killings of many innocent people? Unreal....as was stated earlier, do some research before posting simplistic statements.

Here's an excerpt from the link posted above:

"Dubbed the "Merchant of Death," Bout, often under the protection of his Russian superiors in the military intelligence structure, created a one-stop shop for weapons that could be delivered virtually anywhere in the world. His access to former Soviet arsenals, aircraft, and crews would not have been possible without state protection.

It was this quantum leap in the ability to provide rag-tag and violent groups like the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) in Sierra Leone and Charles Taylor in Liberia that drew the attention of U.S. and European intelligence services in the mid-1990s. As rebels launched their campaigns of mass amputations and systematic rape to take over lucrative diamond fields, they used weapons purchased through Bout and often paid with commodities."

Kinda shows why the Russians are so concerned!!!!! Thanks for the link!

I too hope he walks

A setup for sure...for a pretty dirty man. Here is a statement as to why Thailand's lower court did not prosecute. It had nothing to do with entrapment:

"The lower court turned down the request on the ground that Thailand considers Farc a political movement, not a terrorist group."

Sounds like the same reasons many countries won't extradite Thaksin????

And here are the charges of the US government:

"Mr Sirisak said the US has indicted Mr Bout on two other charges of money laundering and electronic fraud on top of four terrorism-related charges."

Don't forget the US got Al Capone on tax fraud...not for bootlegging booze or other crimes. At least it worked!

But he will get busted out before that, or someone will leave the door to his cell open during the middle of the night, by accident.

I think he should stay where he is for many years, good enough for the git.

Where are you getting the LSD your taking?

Same place as you.......daft comment deserves a daft reply , so on and so forth

http://www.justice.g..._indictment.pdf

And if you need a non biased view as to why the Russians are pulling out all stops to help Mr. Bout, please read today's article in Foreign Policy http://www.foreignpo...iktor_bout_know

Who aranged the meet for the Farc sting opperation to be in Bangkok, the American agents or Bout,,???.. gutted that Thailand had to be in the middle of this.

why are you on Americas side? this guy has never been convicted of anything, to my knowledge has never commited a crime against american citizens, I do believe that he has moved arms for the C I S

in covert operations when it suited America.

Never convicted of anything???? The Thai autorities caught him red handed trying to sell weapons in at a Bangkok hotel.

He should be sentenced to 20 years in a thai jail, but i think they don't want him.

It is not illegal to talk about selling weapons in other countries.

So no, he has not been convicted of anything.

The State Department called in Thailand's ambassador this week to tell him of U.S. concerns about the potential release. And six senior members of Congress -- three Democrats and three Republicans -- issued a letter to the Thai government Wednesday contending that if Bout is freed, he would sell arms to groups that seek to kill Americans

So in other words,the Americans go free killing any nationality ( again how many citizens they killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? ) but if they even suspect that there could be a chance that an american dies you will have to rot in an American jail.

Don't forget that the US is NOT a member of ICC.

It is my belief that to be under the protection of the ICC one must also be a member of it. There is no having a cake and eating it.

Hence, if any member-state performs any war crimes against the US (or other non-signatory states) the ICC has no jurisdiction to enter into a trial over the crimes as the agreement of not performing these actions are not counter-signed by the defendant state. I.e. each signatory state should only be seen as signing specific agreements with each state that is counter-signing. Anything else is non-regulated.

Edited by TAWP

Couple of links to tell the Victors side of the story:

His official website

http://victorbout.com/

RT documentary

now the problem is in this case what media to trust. Russia is not famous for its media rights... US media is massively manipulated by money and those with power. Im coming from Finland which recent years ranks #1 in press freedom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index#Worldwide_Press_Freedom_Index

.. and that tells more about other countries than mine... there might be press freedom, but that does not mean you could trust what the press is releasing is true.

summasummarum: the man is not convicted yet. I do not trust the Thai courts nor do I trust the US courts. Why the heck he is not taken to Haag ??? I know US would be against it... but that would be the best and most neutral court for this. He has not committed any crime in US... so how can he be taken into criminal court there... Im worried that this guy ends in Guantamo or Guantamo 2 and we never find out the truth.

^^

Wow, Russian is a speedy language. I like that. To transmit or broadcast the same amount of information an English language channel like BBC or CNN would take much longer time, that is often annoying slow.

I have no problem with trying Bout and seeing where it goes. Anyone though who thinks he is morally or ethically worse than their own nice elected western government in terms of supplying weapons to kill innocents and kids with is deluded though. And who is going to bring those criminals to a court? I dont think Bout supplied the chemical agnets that were used to kill thousands of Kurds and Shias in Iraq and thousands of Iranians. The law is limited in how it can punish some of the biggest moral and ethical criminals in the world today.

The interesting part of the trial legally may well be the obvious entrapment, which has caused many a case to fall although in this case I doubt that it will be allowed to.