Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

How does he make any money?

At 20 diners maximum times 950 baht, he only takes in 19,000 baht. Hardly big money to pay his staff and overheads.

Must be much more to his restaurant than this.

Dined at MK/Central Plaza yesterday as the guest of a member.

He dismissed the cooking pot from the table and ordered off the menu.

We had the roast duck/roast pork plate which was excellent along  with half a dozen entrees.

About 600B I think.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 2:00 PM, Flustered said:

How does he make any money?

At 20 diners maximum times 950 baht, he only takes in 19,000 baht. Hardly big money to pay his staff and overheads.

Must be much more to his restaurant than this.

Maybe he'll raise prices when (if?) the place gets busy.  

I look forward to reviews by the first brave diners.  :smile:

2 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

Dined at MK/Central Plaza yesterday as the guest of a member.

He dismissed the cooking pot from the table and ordered off the menu.

We had the roast duck/roast pork plate which was excellent along  with half a dozen entrees.

About 600B I think.

I never understood the attraction to those type of places.  If I have to cook it myself, I'll stay home and eat in comfort.  :tongue:

• Like 1

We never used the pot, all the food was cooked before it arrived. :cool:

You would have been a while cooking it, roast duck, roast pork, dimsum, a tasty soup etc.

Makes a change to have lunch out and watch the locals at play.

I'll cook tonight, I came across some nice mushrooms in the market after getting the bad news about my UPS box from Technocom.

They should go well with some chicken fillets and bacon in a tasty sauce.

A friend and I ate at Uncle Dee's which opened to so much promise last year.

I had a T-bone that was too thin to be properly cooked rare but he chose the much better option with a thick rib eye.

These were the only steaks available but we were offered lamb chops as a third option.

Both were tasty but I've come to the conclusion that a place that sells no alcohol, or allows it brought in, is not going to attract a lot of red meat eaters.

The place was deserted on a Saturday night, prices for the steaks around 600B each.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2016 at 4:36 PM, LD Lee said:

Went to Barrab last night with the Thai family (the visiting 20 somethings made the choice). Although this one is likely well-known to those reading this thread, I don't recall is being reviewed here lately so here's a quick review. Very good food, very reasonably priced (we had many more dishes than people but is was still less than B200/person), quick kitchen and service, plain but pleasant atmosphere, and clean. The only slightly dissenting vote was a young family member who thought the som tam was a bit bland. The kao soi and several pork and sausage dishes impressed all. About 100m W of the clock tower. While the atmosphere may not impress visitors, definitely recommended if you're looking for a good, reliable Thai lunch or dinner, especially if trying to satisfy a group with varying preferences. 

image.jpeg

Yes a top place

I would add to the commenter that the service person for me spoke excellent English as she had lived in Canada and Australia

Beer selection was a bit weak

But what they call chicken salad was excellent, gai Pat met mamuang actually

Only slight issue with them I would have would be that when they see a white skin they dumb down the spicy dishes

Still, a five-star place

On 11/13/2016 at 1:41 PM, sceadugenga said:

I'm going to give this (nameless) place another plug, we've known about it's bbq chicken for a while, she sells 80 a day, but today we lunched there.

A chicken, somtan and nam tok moo that we ordered arrived pronto, if there was a menu we did not see one.

All fresh and spicey for 190B

On your right driving out of town on the old Chiang Mai road, opposite the failed supermarket.

You'll see the smoke of the footpath grills.

Don't let the decor put you off.

File 13-11-2016, 1 36 26 PM.jpeg

Is there enough sit down seating and do they serve beer or is it nearby?

A positive vote for Okra Cafe located on the Southeast corner of the East Bypass Road;

All Western food and the young lady chef-owner, who graduated from a culinary school in Australia ,speaks very good English and the menu targets middle to high-end dishes

She knows food and is more than agreeable to talking about it with us Foodies

Been there 3 times with a variety of dishes and none disappoint

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

A positive vote for Okra Cafe located on the Southeast corner of the East Bypass Road;

All Western food and the young lady chef-owner, who graduated from a culinary school in Australia ,speaks very good English and the menu targets middle to high-end dishes

She knows food and is more than agreeable to talking about it with us Foodies

Been there 3 times with a variety of dishes and none disappoint

She imports top quality steaks from Australia and Japan.  She's (speaks English) happy for people to call ahead, to reduce their wait time, at  088.878.5535   Closed Thursdays. 

1 minute ago, rijb said:

She imports top quality steaks from Australia and Japan.  She's (speaks English) happy for people to call ahead, to reduce their wait time, at  088.878.5535   Closed Thursdays. 

And she agreed to serve me her excellent chicken linguine with mushroom sauce and truffle oil even though it's not on the menu

very positive vote for Mekong Pizza in Sob Ruak aka 'The Golden Triangle' ( Village) in The Chiang saen District on the Mekong River

Western food with a medium to limited menu but what they offer, they make very well

Number one on TripAdvisor for that area;

Personable owners,English is excellent

Top notch pizzas : note the first one is half-and-half

also a monster cheesesteak

and organic, healthy,tasty, large salads (hydroponic)

also has steak and cookies (no photos)

seating inside and out

IMG_20170516_114252.jpg

IMG_20170610_170840.jpg

IMG_20170411_150550_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170627_113739.jpg

IMG_20170509_133729.jpg

• Like 2

Wow they do look nice.

Did you have to ask for the pineapple?

I mean... a good pizza place wouldn't normally put it on would they... ?? :cool:

Coming home last night we got an emergency phone call for pizza,  we didn't want to go into town so picked up one at Barn Pizza, in the Singha Park complex... very nice indeed.

2 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Wow they do look nice.

Did you have to ask for the pineapple?

I mean... a good pizza place wouldn't normally put it on would they... ?? :cool:

Coming home last night we got an emergency phone call for pizza,  we didn't want to go into town so picked up one at Barn Pizza, in the Singha Park complex... very nice indeed.

mekong pizza is a professional place with pizza; they will do it any way you like; mix and match; half and half;

they specialize in thin crust pizzas and their prices are remarkably low for being in sob ruak (tourist hell) ;

they are closed mondays; else normally till about 9ish; a 'thai 9ish' if they have a group they will stay as long as the group does; they have wine (and a wine menu !) beers;

i used to bring my own blue cheese and they would put it on my pizza; sweeet

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

mekong pizza is a professional place with pizza; they will do it any way you like; mix and match; half and half;

they specialize in thin crust pizzas and their prices are remarkably low for being in sob ruak (tourist hell) ;

they are closed mondays; else normally till about 9ish; a 'thai 9ish' if they have a group they will stay as long as the group does; they have wine (and a wine menu !) beers;

i used to bring my own blue cheese and they would put it on my pizza; sweeet

one guy ordered a half 'meat lovers' and the other half 'vegetarian' !!!

I'm not a fan of ribs, too messy but we tried a new place today and my friend said they were excellent.
I wasn't particularly hungry and grazed on a few wings which were good as well.
It's across from the electrical shop near the old Doi Chang Coffee shop corner.
Good serves of ribs for 200/300B
Ribs and Co

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 9:00 PM, sceadugenga said:

I'm not a fan of ribs, too messy but we tried a new place today and my friend said they were excellent.
I wasn't particularly hungry and grazed on a few wings which were good as well.
It's across from the electrical shop near the old Doi Chang Coffee shop corner.
Good serves of ribs for 200/300B
Ribs and Co

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I believe this place used to be called 71° Celsius at a previous location and it had a good reputation for some time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 2:03 PM, sceadugenga said:

Yes, it's been reinvented.

Not sure if it's new owners, I hadn't been there previously.

went there the other day; nice place; beautifully done inside, seems same people as old place and same food; pork ribs are very good;number of wines,bigger place; Which Is all Good; parking isnt world-class but that's always a tough one; english is fine;good location,destined for top 10

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 6:31 PM, YetAnother said:

went there the other day; nice place; beautifully done inside, seems same people as old place and same food; pork ribs are very good;number of wines,bigger place; Which Is all Good; parking isnt world-class but that's always a tough one; english is fine;good location,destined for top 10

Agree. Went there last night. I am a ribs fan and these were top notch. Cooked well and the sauce was just how I like it. My seat faced the kitchen and I watched the owner making sure every plate was presented just right. The few other items on the menu looked interesting as well - pasta, salads and wings. This will definitely be a regular stop from now on.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had a really disappointing lunch in barrabs last week. food was bland and ordinary. We had some pork sweet basil and some veg dishes. They were definitely cooked to cater for foreign taste is probably the truth but as an example there was close to 0 basil with the pork. The waitress also listened into our thai/english conversation between me and my thai gf and joined in when we were discussing dishes. It was all a bit odd.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Timothy's! West end of Clocktower road (whatever it's called) where it curves to the right by the big high school. Just another one of these "steak and salad" places, but they do it exceptionally well. Good fish, chicken and pork dishes and the salad is impressive with lots of mixed veggies. (I haven't tried the beef dishes.) All for about 99 baht. Clean air con interior. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 5:47 PM, YetAnother said:

one guy ordered a half 'meat lovers' and the other half 'vegetarian' !!!

Thanks for the tip on this restaurant! Coming back from Mae Sai have usually stopped for lunch/dinner at one of the so-so Thai places in the tourist areas. The sign for Mekong Pizza is a little hard to see, but found it yesterday using gps. The pizza and cheese steak were very good. The pizza crust and bread for the sandwich were really exceptional. Clean, friendly place with air con or outdoor seating. The half and half pizza option helped serving our group. This will become a regular stop for me.