Nokia N8 It'S Available Yet In Thailand ?

surayu

Hi! the recent rain killed my Ippophone but given all the problems that this brand has, mostly by choice, there is no way i am going to buy an Apple phone again, unless some big changes are made but that's unlikely, some of the notorious issues: not being able to remove the battery (you got to send it for service), crappy camera, no video capabilities, not compatible with Flash technology, the bluetooth only see other Apple devices , no MMS, not being able to put the music files of your choice in your phone and so on, for some of these issues was possible to work around by "hacking" your phone but with Itunes making more updates then Windows and with every updates having to find a new hack to make the phone work again (with the loss of some of the previously working applications as well), well i am out of here, goodbye rotten Apple, even the latest phone(4) show how bad things are for this company as if you touch the metal frame all around the phone, the signal reception just disappear...their solution? they give you a plastic cover to isolate the phone, ah ahh aha, so after a bit of research i think i will go for the Nokia N8(shame doesn't have Android in it but Symbian), has any of you tried the phone yet (maybe already got from abroad)? i am curious to know if has any major issues like the Iphone, also if you think there are better multitasks phones around, thank you :)

don't have one but just read about it in guru/bkk post friday and i remember android being mentioned.

Thanks, yes that was an interesting article about Android and it also noted that now the Symbian O/S is opensource, which IMO is a great step forward

don't have one but just read about it in guru/bkk post friday and i remember android being mentioned.

The real N8 runs Symbion^3, what you may have read is the Chinese N8 clone. Cloned Nokia with Android 2.1

Nokia N8 release announcement

That's scary, this model apparently is not even been sold (here) and it has been cloned by the chineses already, wow, anyway i see the specs are not the same and probably the look of it compared to the real thing will be much worse (as for the Iphone clone), it's funny that they apparently upgraded some parts of it making it better in just those 2 things (higher resolution touchscreen and O/S), oh and yes, probably the price tag too :D

Get a Samsung Galaxy S. Faster than the Iphone 4 for a lot less Baht.

Yes that was one of the options i've considered, however the (N8) 12M camera and the chance to store HD movies on it to play on your TV is great, also like the design, in the remote past i had many Nokia and the durability/quality of sound they have is really good, i left this brand because they were not offering(at the time) something a bit more "techie" with all those optionals you get now, the price i don't think will be an issue...as long as we are not talking about a Vertu :D

Edit:

More info i am getting about the N8:

Very good : Aluminium case :w00t:

Very Bad: cannot remove the battery, like the Iphone.....oh nooo :bah:

Edited by surayu

as a lover of Nokia, i'm sad to admit, the Nokia is dead. N8 is based upon a dead OS. it will be the last of the Symbian before Nokia makes the switch to Meego.

don't buy it, that's my advice. go Android...

Thanks for the heads up, at first i was a bit worried about it, however after a bit of research that's what i find out:

1) Both platforms are fully open source (Symbian & Meego)

2) Symbian and MeeGo are complimentary to one another.....and continues...... it is also important to understand that MeeGo and Symbian are linked by common development environments - Qt and WRT. This means a large proportion of applications and services will be common to both platforms

3) Symbian is Nokia's smartphone platform for the forseeable future. Nokia will produce a broad range of Symbian devices from the low end (€100) to the high-end (€450). In 2011 it will be responsible for more than 50% of Nokia's device net sales (with Series 40 at 30-35% and MeeGo at 10-15%).

4) We estimate that Nokia will ship more than 100 million Symbian devices in 2011. This is why articles and analyst opinions talking about the 'death' of Symbian are, at best, short-sighted. MeeGo sales will begin this year, but will ramp up in 2011, with sales in the 5-10 million range.

i also read somewhere that the new version will have a slide keyboard added (hardware) which i personally don't like, so i am going for this one and in the worse case scenario i will have to buy a new handset again, thank you all for the suggestions/info, i really appreciated it :jap:

• 5 months later...

Update on the N8:

The much advertised aluminium case it's a con! the ones they have on display inside the Nokia shops have the top and the bottom part of the phone made of (cheap) plastic, which are already and very badly loosing the paint(color), leaving the phone looks like a badly made toy, what a crazy choice they made, i am not buying it anymore because of this, i am seriously disappointed by this (bad) choice made by Nokia. :bah:

Update on the N8:

The much advertised aluminium case it's a con! the ones they have on display inside the Nokia shops have the top and the bottom part of the phone made of (cheap) plastic, which are already and very badly loosing the paint(color), leaving the phone looks like a badly made toy, what a crazy choice they made, i am not buying it anymore because of this, i am seriously disappointed by this (bad) choice made by Nokia. :bah:

Your call to not buy one, the two I have however are superb phones, the plastic ends are not painted and they fit well.

What did you purchase instead, please don't tell me a phone that is made entirely from "cheap" plastic ..................

N8 is the way to go, when it comes out legit. You don't want that Chinese cloned garbage. I got the N97 and I prefer that to the Iphone with all its drama and proprietary BS.

The N8 is out "legit" and has been for a while, I too have an N97 whilst it is also a good phone I much prefer the N8 I replaced it with.

Your call to not buy one, the two I have however are superb phones, the plastic ends are not painted and they fit well.

What did you purchase instead, please don't tell me a phone that is made entirely from "cheap" plastic ..................

Yes that's exactly what i did actually :lol: As the crappy phone i previously bought (at more then twice the current N8 pricetag...), first went into a coma after a rainy day and then it got "locked" because i updated the software too quickly, so, in the wait for either a new decent phone or an unlock for the old phone, i purchased a crappy very cheap plastic phone, which by just setting up an alarm clock will turn crazy the internal clock :D (I-Mobile).

The N8 i have seen, were all originals and on display at an official Nokia reseller in Malaysia, they had 4 or 5 different colors available, and on ALL of them the paint was just peeling off, leaving exposed a very ugly whitish plastic, in clear contrast with the rest of the phone, maybe it is just a problem with the ones available there? as you are telling us that this is not affecting your phone

Yes that's exactly what i did actually :lol: As the crappy phone i previously bought (at more then twice the current N8 pricetag...), first went into a coma after a rainy day and then it got "locked" because i updated the software too quickly, so, in the wait for either a new decent phone or an unlock for the old phone, i purchased a crappy very cheap plastic phone, which by just setting up an alarm clock will turn crazy the internal clock :D (I-Mobile).

The N8 i have seen, were all originals and on display at an official Nokia reseller in Malaysia, they had 4 or 5 different colors available, and on ALL of them the paint was just peeling off, leaving exposed a very ugly whitish plastic, in clear contrast with the rest of the phone, maybe it is just a problem with the ones available there? as you are telling us that this is not affecting your phone

Mine are not having issues with peeling paint and one is my work phone and gets well used and abused (the other I purchased for the missus).

The ones you saw in Malaysia, were they functional phones or just static display ones,this might explain the cheap plastic and paint peeling you observed.

Edited by Spoonman