The Argument For Who Deserves To Govern Thailand

virtualtraveller

He who can form a majority in parlement governs.

Precisely. The numbers have been raked over on numerous threads, but given the stance of many of the minor parties before the election, particularly the CTP, that they would not be joining the PPP in a coalition, it is obvious that more people voted not to have the PPP in government than those that voted for it. Never the less, the minor parties deceived their voters, went back on their word and did join the PPP in a coalition. Funny how we never see the supposed pro democracy red posters complaining that the poor were effectively cheated of their votes.

Edited by ballpoint

Virtual,

Thank you for doing the analysis in a detailed manner but please accept that my view is that you have used the data to perhaps get across a bias view rather than an independent one.

I will not argue with any of your statistics - house seats in particular understated the Democrat vote. I really wish you to read them in a very different light.

The Democrats high vote reflects various different factors - including an anti-Thaksin and a very large bias towards regional vote. Ultimately Thaksin has played, in my view, a very important role politics in that people actually believed in him rather than their local politician. I do not wish to debate this point or go through the figures.

The really important point is how it has changed the very focus of the Democrat party in my view. Before they were elitist and based on a guaranteed home base of support. They learnt from Thaksin that they need to appeal to the whole populace rather than their constitution. You are wasting your time arguing that either Thaksin did not have popular support for a reason or that he was massively popular in his absence. Look at the results when he was here.

One day the Democrat party will realize that opposing a democratic election against Thaksin was really a reflection of massive underlying failure on their behalf. And I believe that they have learnt so much that their very focus on truly democratic government makes up for the fact they are not one.

Quick reply to Abrak: yes, I make no apologies for coming across as biased against the reds. The point of this lengthy post was to put across a reasonable, factually backed account of the unfolding events of the past three years in terms of electing (both MPs and a PM). You can spin the figures in any way you want to describe democracy in this country, I just wanted to show that much of the complaining made by the red shirts for 'democracy' and 'new elections' is unfounded, built on half truths and ultimately incorrect in their confident assertion that the majority of this country want a new election and don't want this govt.

If anything the poor should be protesting for a complete overhaul in the electoral college of this country because the present one is just causing endless conflict due to the way it can be manipulated.

The various merits and shames of Thaksin and Democracy is another argument entirely.