Air Rifles

Cheeky Farang

I am in need of an Air Rifle either .77 or .22

(1) Does anyone know the law in Thailand about having Air Rifles?

(2) If not illegal where is the best place to purchase ?

Thanks in advance for those of you that know the law about keeping / owning one.

Edited by Cheeky Farang

I can't answer your questions- don't know about the applicable laws, but I am curious to know what you "need" it for. :o

Its, not for the dogs, as mentioned b4, by some one that would be very cruel. I need it as we have a investation of snakes that are eating the fish faster that we can put them in the new ponds. Only yesterday I counted 15 in and around the ponds, the rifle would be used for when they swim and lay in wait for passing fish.

( I for one aint going in the water to try to kill them )

Sad really. The whole country is awash with illegal firearms and a simple pneumatic rifle for shooting vermin may be beyond the legal reach of a farang.

Most of the snakes after the pond fish will be non venomous and quite small in diameter; a difficult target even at 20 metres range. The .177 will have a higher muzzle velocity but the .22 has more 'knock-down' power.

Good luck.

Sorry, when I said illegal I meant you need a permit

As this is an iffy subject I suggest you email me if you want more details,  you have my address,  we don't want to get banned do we ?

Pellet pistols are for sale in Mae Sai at a store front on the east side of the main street near a store that sell telescopes which you should be able to spot as you walk by...I saw some just two weeks ago...they varied in price from about 350 baht to about 1000 baht more or less. Seems like they had batteries but I'm not sure just how they were powered because I wasn't actually interested in buying one...I just asked the price for them because when I saw them it reminded me of a topic here about wanting to buy one to rid the yard of animals...if you search I think there was alot of discussion about owning and/or importing them and the various types.

Where ever you see the pistols for sale you might ask discretely if they have any rifles and I'm sure they wouldn't sell you anything if it was illegal...

Edited by chownah

By 'Air Rifle' are we talking about a CO2 charged BB Gun or just the pump-type?

I'm planning on bringing over a couple of the 'pump-type' for general dog/rodent etc pest use.

I am talking a NORMAL break action rifle,

post-11711-1121089280_thumb.jpg

Something like this

That's like mine. .22 Foreward pump action. Hand made. The pressure links broken at the mo, so it has not been used for a while. It is a pro target rifle and it is for sale when and if I get it fixed. The .22 pellets are easy to buy. I did get stopped by the police in Korat with the gun in the car, but although they didn't see the gun, they saw the pellets and knew what they were.

By 'Air Rifle' are we talking about a CO2 charged BB Gun or just the pump-type?

I'm planning on bringing over a couple of the 'pump-type' for general dog/rodent etc pest use.

Will the airline allow it ?

If it's checked luggage, don't know why not...

Just to recap a few posts previous, shooting at dogs that attack people, shit on your door step, chase old women, young children and bark at 4 am is cruel. But killing harmless non poison variety snakes for eating a fish is not cruel? Sir shoot the dogs, thailands snakes are much nicer than its dogs imo. You might even find yourself killing an endagerd specise which would be a tradgic state of affairs. Have you not concidered some sort of anti snake scary thing, maybe a plastic hawk or something that will keep them away? Snakes have a hard enough deal here as it is.

Did a quick google and several of The Rose Garden Aprime Resorts in Thailand have an air rifle range. This would lead one to believe they are legal in Thailand.

Might be a stretch but maybe your TW could call one of the locations and see where they get their gear. :o:D

You don’t need a man-made weapon of any sort to get rid of snakes.

Assuming your Fishponds are fenced in, buy a few Geese: snake underskins are seriously irritated by Goose excrement and they will quickly leave the area.

Geese also reproduce without much encouragement and your wife can make "Harn Palo" or a great Farang style Christmas dinner. :o

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

You don’t need a man-made weapon of any sort to get rid of snakes.

Assuming your Fishponds are fenced in, buy a few Geese: snake underskins are seriously irritated by Goose excrement and they will quickly leave the area.

Geese also reproduce without much encouragement and your wife can make "Harn Palo" or a great Farang style Christmas dinner.  :D

Patrick

Now he needs a bigger gun to kill the Geese – don’t want to have too many sharp knives around the house for the wife. :o

Pellet pistols are for sale in Mae Sai at a store front on the east side of the main street near a store that sell telescopes which you should be able to spot as you walk by...I saw some just two weeks ago...they varied in price from about 350 baht to about 1000 baht more or less.  Seems like they had batteries but I'm not sure just how they were powered

Those are the ones that fire a plastic ball and are air powered.

They sting if you shoot yourself. More of a toy.

The battery powered ones are for the fully automatic model, fires about 2 rounds per second.

Did a quick google and several of The Rose Garden Aprime Resorts in Thailand have an air rifle range.  This would lead one to believe they are legal in Thailand. 

UK has classes of rifle, firearm, shotgun, air rifle etc,etc

Thailand, I think, does not make these distinctions.

You need to get a firearm license.

However the license is for posession not for use, so your wife could get the permit and then you can use it in your garden.

Pellet pistols are for sale in Mae Sai at a store front on the east side of the main street near a store that sell telescopes which you should be able to spot as you walk by...I saw some just two weeks ago...they varied in price from about 350 baht to about 1000 baht more or less.  Seems like they had batteries but I'm not sure just how they were powered

The battery powered ones are for the fully automatic model, fires about 2 rounds per second.

They are also very inaccurate due to the poor tolerances on the manufacture of the plastic pellets/balls. If aiming at a target say 10 metres away, consecutive shots may swing up to half a metre in any direction. :o

As you say Thetyim, more of a toy.

Is it necessary to get a permit for a battery powered BB gun like below? I am planning to buy an AK-47s. I had tried it once and I am sure it can't kill anything bigger than a small bird.

post-18834-1121140683_thumb.jpg

As far as I know, airguns are treated as firearms here (due to their using gas to propel the projectile) and would require a license to buy/keep them. This goes for those break open type air rifles as shown previously in this thread. However, there must be some places where you can buy them without much fuss, but if you're caught you could be in real hot water. Foreigners can own firearms legally if they are permanent residents. Both airguns and firearms here are VERY expensive and the laws governing them are more strict than in many other countries. Where I come from (Florida, USA) airguns are under few restrictions and can be easily purchased at any sporting goods outlet or gun shop. The .177 ones will shoot their pellets faster but they won't penetrate as well or produce holes as big as the .22 ones will.

Have you considered using a wristrocket? These slingshots can be found in some Bangkok sporting goods/outdoor gear shops as well as at Jatujak Market (the "Weekend Market"). They're cheap, quiet and will work wonders on small critters such as pesky birds and snakes. Marbles or 3/4" steel ball bearings are good ammo. Two common brands are Trumark (www.slingshots.com) and Marksman. Both companies make a folding model which easily slips into a large coat or pants pocket. The accuracy of these things won't be as good as what you would get with an airgun but with practice you will do ok. Good luck! :o

The locals here use the old fashioned wooden Dennis the Menace/Bart Simpson style sling shot to kill (or at least stun so they can catch and kill) chickens using small stones as ammo. 20 baht for the sling, the rocks are even cheaper!!!

They are selling good cross bows along Sukhumvit and down in Pattaya.

With the good accuracy and arrow heads much larger than an airgun bullet it should easy to hit those snakes.

The problem is the arrows will probably be lost in the pond, not sure how much they cost.

No idea if there is a license required but they will sell you one without.

Did a quick google and several of The Rose Garden Aprime Resorts in Thailand have an air rifle range.  This would lead one to believe they are legal in Thailand. 

UK has classes of rifle, firearm, shotgun, air rifle etc,etc

Thailand, I think, does not make these distinctions.

You need to get a firearm license.

However the license is for posession not for use, so your wife could get the permit and then you can use it in your garden.

Yes your wife could get a licence if she is the householder and she alone would be allowed to use it. If you were caught even holding it anywhere you will be commiting an offence. I believe the Thais refer to this as Pit mur (wrong hand).

Is it necessary to get a permit for a battery powered BB gun like below? I am planning to buy an AK-47s. I had tried it once and I am sure it can't kill anything bigger than a small bird.

I would think it pretty risky to be seen by anyone in Thailand wandering around with something which looks so realistically like a War Weapon I am pretty sure someone would call the Police.

Patrick

I can't answer your questions- don't know about the applicable laws, but I am curious to know what you "need" it for. :o

Its, not for the dogs, as mentioned b4, by some one that would be very cruel. I need it as we have a investation of snakes that are eating the fish faster that we can put them in the new ponds. Only yesterday I counted 15 in and around the ponds, the rifle would be used for when they swim and lay in wait for passing fish.

( I for one aint going in the water to try to kill them )

Dont know if you have had dealings with snakes much, but the most efficient way if you really have to terminate them is a whack on the back (any where) if they are swimming as well as laying on the bank then the best utensil other than a 410 shotgun is to get yourself a 6 foot length of 1/4" reinforcing steel rod. one whack and jobs done. If they are in the water fit a 3 foot length onto a bamboo stick of whatever length you need , same result.

However if the slipperies are non-venemous why not look at putting a barrier of mesh around the ponds and just stop their access to your fish instead of the ultimate deterant.