Pattaya Pizza Soi Buakow

Jimmyd

It kinda looks like American style pizza...and the pan looks pretty dam_n thick, that's not good

I think they are more of an American style place based on their marketing materials. Good or not depends on the quality and flavor in my view, regardless of style. Anyone who thinks American style pizza is always not good probably just hasn't experienced how great it can be. Not saying this place is great though as yet to try their pizza.

Oh, of course, also note there are MANY different styles of American style pizza. It's a very big country and it had a lot of Italian immigrants from different regions in Italy. There is no one crust thickness that makes a pizza American style per se.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is another interesting pizza option in the same neighborhood.

It's called LOAF.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loaf-Bakery-Cafe/172299136120734

Their pizza looks quite good (especially the crust) but I haven't tried it yet.

I guess I'm in a lasagna mood these days and tried their beef lasagna.

It was good for what it was, a UK style lasagna, no trace of cheese, lots of bechamel.

Actually it tasted more like a Greek moussaka/pastichio than lasagna but that isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're in the mood for that. I sampled some of their bread, quite good.

Also on display a wide variety of very tasty looked baked goods/desserts. The scones looked quite tempting. Prices moderate.

They are definitely doing something right there, and deserve our support.

Edited by Jingthing

robin hood bar in jontiem just down from the statue the bar is on the right partly hidden by a tree

us guy has a pizza oven upstairs----------look menu downstairs and ring him then have a drink

9 inch for 100 baht------------no catches just good and spicy if want etc.

friendly bar while you wait

They don't do pizza any more... much to my disappointment.. They had GOOD Pizza

Finally went to the New York Pizza place mentioned.

The pizza was good but a little bit high price wise. It's only money.

The wings were good but also a tad high price wise.

The salad was okay but very high price wise. What you would put on a hamburger was called a salad, 60baht!

The sign indicated they were moving soon to South Pattaya, over near the S & M place on 3rd road.

It's called LOAF.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loaf-Bakery-Cafe/172299136120734

Their pizza looks quite good (especially the crust) but I haven't tried it yet.

I guess I'm in a lasagna mood these days and tried their beef lasagna.

It was good for what it was, a UK style lasagna, no trace of cheese, lots of bechamel.

Actually it tasted more like a Greek moussaka/pastichio than lasagna but that isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're in the mood for that. I sampled some of their bread, quite good.

Also on display a wide variety of very tasty looked baked goods/desserts. The scones looked quite tempting. Prices moderate.

They are definitely doing something right there, and deserve our support.

Would like to stop in the next time I'm in town. Where exactly are they located?

Barry

Finally went to the New York Pizza place mentioned.

The pizza was good but a little bit high price wise. It's only money.

The wings were good but also a tad high price wise.

The salad was okay but very high price wise. What you would put on a hamburger was called a salad, 60baht!

The sign indicated they were moving soon to South Pattaya, over near the S & M place on 3rd road.

That's interesting. By moving do you mean they will be closing the Naklua shop or having two locations?

I agree their price is a tad high, but not too bad.

If they are closing in Naklua I wonder if they got sick of the German Oom-Pah music beer garden scene in front of their shop.

indicated they were moving soon to South Pattaya, over near the S & M place on 3rd road.

That's interesting. By moving do you mean they will be closing the Naklua shop or having two locations?

I agree their price is a tad high, but not too bad.

If they are closing in Naklua I wonder if they got sick of the German Oom-Pah music beer garden scene in front of their shop.

My impression was moving, not adding a second location. I recall it being the end of this month. We will know soon.

Doubt the beer bar scene makes much difference. They rent(I assume they don't own) three units in a fairly nice retail center, new location indicated would be much less. Maybe prices will come down.

• 3 weeks later...

Had Pattaya Pizza twice. 1st time was OK. 2nd time went to buy 2 take away pizzas and took them to my friends place. One of the pizzas bases was all burnt, threw it in the bin and wont be going back again.

It's called LOAF.

Far and away the best pizza in the entire area (if not the entire city). Also probably the best bakery.

On Wednesday they do a pizza buffet for 199B.

I've been going there every Wednesday for ages and was rather hoping that no one would mention it on here. :whistling:

Only fair to give them some support though.

• 4 weeks later...

Darrel, no worries because I finally got around to trying a pizza at LOAF and my impression was that it was a POOR pizza.

I agree they do good breads and desserts; it is a bakery.

I feel their pizza was much more like pizza BREAD than real pizza. Oddly, it was VERY DRY.

My impression, though pizza tastes are so subjective, so just because I don't like it others probably will.

Crust, not thin, not thick, bready, almost no flavor

To me the crust is the most important thing about a pizza; not married to a single style, just want it to taste like a pizza crust with some FLAVOR

Tomato sauce, I could see some but I didn't taste it at all, at least it wasn't overly sweet which is a common fault

Cheese, small amount, blah, almost no cheese feel in the mouth (which is something you can say is there at New York Pizza)

Toppings, not going to even mention that in this case, also blah, but no topping could have saved this pizza from the fundamental problems in the crust/sauce/cheese

I won't be back, so that says it all. I had thought the pizza buffet would be fun for the varied toppings, but I wouldn't want to be forced to eat the pizza base under those toppings again, and they charge you extra there if you don't finish the food you take from the buffet.

I like the people there and their overall concept. Sorry can't endorse their pizza.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the Loaf review Jing...I too was holding back on mentioning this great find, and especially their Wednesday pizza buffet) so as to keep more of it available for me. However, with your non-endorsement, I can probably rest assured that I can continue to get a seat at this smallish place and stuff my face on Wednesdays for little money.

PS: Also one of the best pizzas in Patters IMHO.

PPS: For those with cars, validated parking is available at Eureka Lodge.

Edited by FarangBuddha

.... I finally got around to trying a pizza at LOAF and my impression was that it was a POOR pizza.

Well, I am indeed surprised.

You mention the bready flavour of the base. I wonder what sort of flavour you want a pizza base to have? As they are all made from bread dough I feel they should taste of bread dough, and I find that the Loaf bases do. They are thin enough to allow the flavour of the topping to come through, which is what is supposed to happen in my book, at least on a classical Italian pizza, but not so thin that they go like filo which I dont like at all.

Yes, I like deep pan pizzas in the Pizza Hut style also (those bases do have a lot of flavour, unsurprisingly, given the amount of fat in them) and Loaf certainly dont do those. But they do make what I would describe as a good "proper' pizza. Not too thick not too thin, and not sweet which pizzas here often are.

I admit that I have never just ordered one pizza in there, nor would I. I prefer the buffet which allows one to taste many different types and costs less anyway. All the ones I have tried I have liked, but I dont try BBQ and bolgnese and Hawaiian and other flavours that I know I will detest. They had a banana pizza last Wednesday which I had my doubts about, but I had a slice for dessert and very nice it was too. Other ones were rocket and parma ham, prawns, feta and olives, various salamis and pepperonis, a "breakfast" pizza which sounds awful but in fact was basically a carbonara. I thought they were all good, even if they arent all exactly classic Italian pizza toppings.

What would you think makes a good pizza, compared perhaps to a Pizza Hut deep pan pizza, or some other pizza that I might have tried?

... to keep more of it available for me. However, with your non-endorsement, I can probably rest assured that I can continue to get a seat at this smallish place and stuff my face on Wednesdays for little money.

Haha. My seat is booked. :angry:

I noticed more people there last Wesnesday that I have generally seen before, even back in high season.

I may be a little spoiled because I just go back from a trip to the USA. I wasn't focused on pizza as there were more important priorities (Mexican, Ethiopian, American, Vietnamese, Sechuan, Brazilian, etc.) but the one pizza I had there from just some neighborhood joint was way better than any pizza I have EVER had in Thailand. It was a thin crust New York style, it was super cheesy, super juicy, and the CRUST tasted like a pizza crust should taste. I can't describe it. I think at least Americans know what I'm talking about. No, I have never even been to an American pizza chain so like Pizza Hut so I have no opinion on that. I also think most Americans know the difference between real pizza and PIZZA BREAD. Also not a thickness Nazi; have had delicious pizzas of many different thicknesses. Loaf? You can have it. Glad to open my seat for you!

Edited by Jingthing

the one pizza I had there from just some neighborhood joint was way better than any pizza I have EVER had in Thailand. It was a thin crust New York style, it was super cheesy, super juicy, and the CRUST tasted like a pizza crust should taste. I can't describe it. I think at least Americans know what I'm talking about.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and I have never had pizza with a really good crust in Thailand. :(

Edited by Ulysses G.

the one pizza I had there from just some neighborhood joint was way better than any pizza I have EVER had in Thailand. It was a thin crust New York style, it was super cheesy, super juicy, and the CRUST tasted like a pizza crust should taste. I can't describe it. I think at least Americans know what I'm talking about.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and I have never had pizza with a really good crust in Thailand. :(

Even I know what you are referring to.....there are one or two such places in the UK as well.....neither strongly thin or thick crust.....simply delicious as they are.

Can't think of anywhere in Thailand at all like that though sadly.

New York Pizza in Naklua.....

They now seem to have a branch on 3rd Rd, more or less opposite Soi Lengkee.

The menu looks very expensive to me.

Yes I saw their new location. I think the Naklua location is closed now and they simply moved to the new place. Yes they are a bit expensive, could be justified by the fact they aren't too chintzy with the CHEESE.

You are probably right, though they do have buffalos here and mozzarella is made from buffalo milk (real mozzarella anyway, not the stuff you get on most pizzas throughout the world). As it isnt imported it shouldnt cost too much.

If the Loaf bakery didnt do the 200 Baht buffet I'm fairly sure that I would never eat pizza here. It's just too over-priced compared to all other sorts of food.

NY place has a small size pepperoni pizza for 189 baht. Similar prices to LOAF.http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d1820441-Reviews-New_York_Pizza_House-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing

You are probably right, though they do have buffalos here and mozzarella is made from buffalo milk (real mozzarella anyway, not the stuff you get on most pizzas throughout the world). As it isnt imported it shouldnt cost too much.

If the Loaf bakery didnt do the 200 Baht buffet I'm fairly sure that I would never eat pizza here. It's just too over-priced compared to all other sorts of food.

I don't consider their regular pizzas overpriced...about B200-250 per pizza...considering the quality and variety of the ingredients. They are a little on the smallish side for most men but I feel the quality of the cheese/meats makes them decent value. However, like you, I only go on Wednesdays as basically, it's 2 for 1 (maybe 3 for 1 for some guys) nite as I can basically eat two pizzas for the price of one (and get all the variety thrown in as a bonus). Don't know how long they will keep this up (especially for the price) as they can't be making any money on it :(

I can confirm the NY Pizza's Naklua branch is closed.

NY place has a small size pepperoni pizza for 189 baht. Similar prices to LOAF

I don't consider their regular pizzas overpriced...about B200-250 per pizza

Compared to the prices of other pizza places in town I suppose they arent unusually high. However, I wouldnt pay 200B for one small pizza as there are too many better meals to be had for the same money, or much less.

I would (and do) pay 200B for the Loaf pizza buffet. Actually I pay 300B for pizza buffet and two beers: it's about the only place in town where I drink beer with a meal at all, and I dont suppose they mind the extra profit!

Don't oversell the pizza buffet or it will be hard to get a seat and/or they won't be able to restock it fast enough. I wouldn't worry about them stopping it, likely they use that weekly event to get rid of topping ingredients that will go off if they don't serve them.

I didn't mean to diss LOAF. It's a charming little cafe. I still think their bread and desserts are quite good and I even rather enjoyed their UK style lasagna. Heck, I might even try their pizza buffet someday as maybe the dry pizza I got was a one off. Though I doubt the crust there will taste like I want and I do think they are chintzy with both the cheese and tomato sauce.

Edited by Jingthing