Should We Make A Live Map Of Police/Traffic/Construction In Bkk?

floridaguy

I saw Police stopping all motorcycles on Petchburi using the flyover bridges this morning and thought it would be nice to have a live map, updated by TV members, showing police traps, updated construction areas, good detour routes around traffic/construction/police/etc.

My thoughts were something similar to what Richard did with the live Google map during the protests in May. I don't know how to set it up, or if anyone would even be interested. I just thought having a map to refer to when people are headed somewhere to show different routes that worked for different people. There was a post last week where I gave a TV member lat/long coordinates to a frequent police trap in Chon Buri, and this would have been a great way to refer the OP to the map.

Is this even feasible, allowing members to edit such a map themselves?

I saw Police stopping all motorcycles on Petchburi using the flyover bridges this morning and thought it would be nice to have a live map, updated by TV members, showing police traps,

Perhaps TV members should just drive within the law and not worry about it.

You really want to set up a programme to help others break the law in Thailand?

Clever... :rolleyes:

I saw Police stopping all motorcycles on Petchburi using the flyover bridges this morning and thought it would be nice to have a live map, updated by TV members, showing police traps,

So EVERY time a person gets stopped by the BIB they have done something to break the law.............Oh come on now!

• Like 1

Whenever the police stop a farang it is a trap, scam, rip off etc. The fact they are usually breaking one or more law seems immaterial to them. I sat watching the BIB pull over and fine those not wearing a helmet here on Samui. Both Thai's and Farang, yet some Farang were winging and whining about getting pipped off. Not one of them was wearing a helmet or could produce a license, :o Go figure.

The advice said already is the best to date. don't break the law and ride at a speed where you can react to the unexpected. Easy really ;)

• Like 1

Maybe we could start a competition to come up with (A) the best / most plausible reason why the BIB control some traffic lights manually and (B) the most feasible plan to get them out of the boxes and get the lights set to change automatically. Everywhere there are lights with the countdown timers the traffic moves smoothly.

They only need to activate the red light cameras and have mega fines for red light jumping and get police to act on this offence to reduce the problem drastically. The major cause of the red light jumping is the 20 minute wait knowing the lights will only change to green for 90 seconds.

The prize for the winner: Bangkok governor for life.

Obviously you don't get out and about much around Bangkok,else you wouldn't have posted your stupid holier than thou reply.Could you give your interpretation of what exactly the law entails.Has far has I know

they make it up has they go along.I,ve lost count the number of times I,ve been stopped for doing f.ck all.The only reason being is to slap some baht in their grubby hands.

• Like 1

Whenever the police stop a farang it is a trap, scam, rip off etc. The fact they are usually breaking one or more law seems immaterial to them. I sat watching the BIB pull over and fine those not wearing a helmet here on Samui. Both Thai's and Farang, yet some Farang were winging and whining about getting pipped off. Not one of them was wearing a helmet or could produce a license, :o Go figure.

The advice said already is the best to date. don't break the law and ride at a speed where you can react to the unexpected. Easy really ;)

So if I want to make a map of a city showing the banks, does that mean I want everyone to rob them? How about we use some common sense. Did I once mention that anyone should break the law? No. What I did say is that we could use it to route around any police traps. Police traps slow traffic down. If I can get around it, I will. Also, going around a police trap would imply not using that particular flyover/one way road/illegal turning point wouldn't it, which would then serve it's purpose by encouraging anyone looking at the map to NOT go that way and NOT break any laws?

Armchair generals...:annoyed:

Let's stay on topic, not one post has even addressed my question. If it was a stupid idea, just say that. I am of the mindset that if you want to innovate, you can't be afraid to try new things - simple isn't it?

Obviously you don't get out and about much around Bangkok,else you wouldn't have posted your stupid holier than thou reply.

Actually I'm out and about BKK 7 days a week.

Could you give your interpretation of what exactly the law entails.

Drive on the left, wear a helmet, don't go over overpass bridges, no u-tuns when there's a no u-turn sign.

In 5 years I've never been pulled over when adhering to these really quite simple local laws.

Can't adhere to the law, don't complain when penalized.

Obviously you don't get out and about much around Bangkok,else you wouldn't have posted your stupid holier than thou reply.

Actually I'm out and about BKK 7 days a week.

Could you give your interpretation of what exactly the law entails.

Drive on the left, wear a helmet, don't go over overpass bridges, no u-tuns when there's a no u-turn sign.

In 5 years I've never been pulled over when adhering to these really quite simple local laws.

Can't adhere to the law, don't complain when penalized.

BS,I don't know one biker who's never been stopped at some time.Save it for the good Samaritans.

BS,I don't know one biker who's never been stopped at some time.Save it for the good Samaritans.

Nope. Never been pulled over when not breaking a law - not driving in the left lane, without a helmet, doing an illegal u-turn, going on an overpass bridge I'm prohibited from going on.

Perhaps you should try driving within the local laws, and you might be pleasantly surprised at how many police checks you'll just breeze on through... 100% of them for me. ;)

Edited by thomo

Perhaps you should try driving within the local laws

Perhaps you should try being less sanctimonious.

Btw, what bike do you ride? If you're staying on the left all the time,

I don't.

After a while you learn where and when the police checks will usually be. It only takes a bit of common sense and memory.

When I used to get caught and pulled over, I happily'd pay the bit of tea money as I was breaking the law and be on me way in seconds. A great system.

I've never once been stopped when not breaking the law. Those who piss and moan and whine about being penalized for their illegal behaviour need to wise up, and (or) stop breaking the law. It's quite a simple concept.:)

:jap:

Apologies for the off-topic-ness OP, but just continuing the convo.

Edited by thomo

Nope. Never been pulled over when not breaking a law - not driving in the left lane, without a helmet, doing an illegal u-turn, going on an overpass bridge I'm prohibited from going on.

Perhaps you should try driving within the local laws, and you might be pleasantly surprised at how many police checks you'll just breeze on through... 100% of them for me. ;)

You are either a new driver in the LOS, don't drive much, drive the same route that happens to never have any "purges" on it, or you are lying.

A purge, for those unfamiliar, occurs when they stop everyone for spot inspections/searches. Since no warrant or cause of any kind is needed for the police to search you in the LOS, often they search until they find some obscure thing they can fine you for, or just make something up. This is very common. You are very lucky if you have not had this happen to you, even if you are law abiding. Purges cause massive back-ups as the dozen or so cops working try to stop every vehicle coming through.

Anyway, back on topic: What the OP is talking about has been around for some time already. http://www.trapster.com Just click on Thailand on the map. Each reported trap/speed camera etc. is given a rating based on who and how many report it. They also have live traffic updates. Works with PDA's.

8-23-20105-15-52PM-2.jpg

Or, if you have a big bike, just go attend a 2 day civilian academy and become a Highway Police Volunteer. These are usually offered at major bike week events around the LOS. It gives you some nice protection from getting scammed when stopped. I have had to use it a couple times after my wallet along with both my 5 year Thai drivers licenses were stolen out of my house and I haven't been able to get to the LTD to replace them yet. The cops get a real kick out of the badge and actually apologize to me!! lol

scan0001-2.jpgscan0002-1.jpg

And no, you don't get to pull people over or write tickets. There is no duties to perform. They just want you to be a good witness and report if you see something blatant. You can also help with traffic control when royalty visits and there are also some volunteering opportunities during the bike week events.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

You are either a new driver in the LOS,

Nope.

don't drive much,

Nope, quite a lot actually.

drive the same route

Nope.

or you are lying.

Most certainly not.

The rest is very interesting info. Thanks.

Edited by thomo

Aren't you the guy who was telling us you don't have a Thai drivers license? :ermm:

Never been pulled over when not breaking a law

In Bangkok? Yeah, sorry, I also think you are lying... :)

Aren't you the guy who was telling us you don't have a Thai drivers license? :ermm:

Yup, that's the one. :)

Fortunately the checks I drive through don't know that though, and never stop me. :D

Never been pulled over when not breaking a law

In Bangkok? Yeah, sorry, I also think you are lying... :)

Yup, in big bad bangers. Never been pulled over when not breaking the law - illegal u-turn, one red light running, and out of the left lane are the only things I've been stopped for. When not doing any of those, or going over an overpass then I've never been pulled.

Same as when I was living in Chiang Mai and Isaan.

Edited by thomo

Yup, that's the one. :)

Never been pulled over when not breaking the law

Ok, making some sense now. You have no bike license, thus you are ALWAYS breaking the law which is why you can say "Never been pulled over when not breaking the law." lol

If you're a Farang I feel you will get pulled over sooner or later in BKK for no reason.

I was stopped in the left lane just leaving an intersection, but after showing my papers and Thai license he let me go.

I asked why I was pulled over and he had nothing to say.

There are enough new Farangs that pay a bribe and so the cops have a good enough success rate to justify pulling people over.

So what events in BKK can I attend a Highway Police Volunteer class?

I have a friend in LA with a CHP Widows Foundation badge ($5000 donation) and it got him out of many speeding tickets.

Once he got out of a 155mph situation and should have been in jail for reckless driving, but that badge is gold.

After a while you learn where and when the police checks will usually be. It only takes a bit of common sense and memory.

This is quite some common sense. This is exactly what I was referring to when I started this thread. My memory is mine only, and yours is yours only. I wanted to facilitate a method to share our collective memories and experiences with anyone interested.

You are either a new driver in the LOS, don't drive much, drive the same route that happens to never have any "purges" on it, or you are lying.

A purge, for those unfamiliar, occurs when they stop everyone for spot inspections/searches. Since no warrant or cause of any kind is needed for the police to search you in the LOS, often they search until they find some obscure thing they can fine you for, or just make something up. This is very common. You are very lucky if you have not had this happen to you, even if you are law abiding. Purges cause massive back-ups as the dozen or so cops working try to stop every vehicle coming through.

Anyway, back on topic: What the OP is talking about has been around for some time already. http://www.trapster.com Just click on Thailand on the map. Each reported trap/speed camera etc. is given a rating based on who and how many report it. They also have live traffic updates. Works with PDA's.

Or, if you have a big bike, just go attend a 2 day civilian academy and become a Highway Police Volunteer. These are usually offered at major bike week events around the LOS. It gives you some nice protection from getting scammed when stopped. I have had to use it a couple times after my wallet along with both my 5 year Thai drivers licenses were stolen out of my house and I haven't been able to get to the LTD to replace them yet. The cops get a real kick out of the badge and actually apologize to me!! lol

And no, you don't get to pull people over or write tickets. There is no duties to perform. They just want you to be a good witness and report if you see something blatant. You can also help with traffic control when royalty visits and there are also some volunteering opportunities during the bike week events.

ScubbaBuddha, thank you very much. You answered my original one, and added some help to one I have been toying with. How to get a cop NOT to pull me over in the first place. My Uncle is a high ranking police officer here, and he has offered to let me have one of the metal badges that you see on personal vehicles of police and politicians, but I feel uncomfortable misrepresenting myself in that way. He also suggested that I wear a police helmet, but again, not only do I feel uncomfortable misrepresenting myself, but those helmets don't look to offer much protection.

Becoming a Volunteer seems interesting. Any more info on that? Is there a website or phone number to call?

If you're a Farang I feel you will get pulled over sooner or later in BKK for no reason.

I was stopped in the left lane just leaving an intersection, but after showing my papers and Thai license he let me go.

I asked why I was pulled over and he had nothing to say.

There are enough new Farangs that pay a bribe and so the cops have a good enough success rate to justify pulling people over.

So what events in BKK can I attend a Highway Police Volunteer class?

I have a friend in LA with a CHP Widows Foundation badge ($5000 donation) and it got him out of many speeding tickets.

Once he got out of a 155mph situation and should have been in jail for reckless driving, but that badge is gold.

Not only farangs. You see them stopping Thais also. In fact they stop 100 Thais for every farang. The Thais just don't normally complain on the TV board though.:rolleyes:

Farangs are just too tempting to pass up. I get pulled over, and I am half Thai, whether I am in my car or on my bike. I am a much more tempting target on my bike, it is a heavily customized Steed. It is a police magnet.

Becoming a Volunteer seems interesting. Any more info on that? Is there a website or phone number to call?

Keep an eye out at the next bike week near you.

Here is the link to the Phuket HP seminar.

http://www.phuketbikeweek.com/police_volunteer/

Here is a link to Thailand Bike Week Events.

(site is down at the moment, will update later)

just go attend a 2 day civilian academy and become a Highway Police Volunteer.
Personally speaking, I'd rather not join up with the very same people trying to extort money from me just to get out of a 200Bt fine for some imagined infraction. I'd rather just not stop and speed by them. If they manage to stop me, fine. I'll pay up. But joining up with a proven 'organised crime unit' (as the U.N. described them) (deleted) is IMO rather tacky. (deleted)

Just grow a pair and blow by them.

Edited by Mario2008
play the ball, not the man and keep it civil

Glad to see that you agree it's a clever idea. Even the West Australian police force lets their motorists know where the speed cameras and red light cameras are. Why shouldn't we do it here?

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Traffic/Cameras/tabid/1722/Default.aspx

just go attend a 2 day civilian academy and become a Highway Police Volunteer.
Personally speaking, I'd rather not join up with the very same people trying to extort money from me just to get out of a 200Bt fine for some imagined infraction. I'd rather just not stop and speed by them. If they manage to stop me, fine. I'll pay up. But joining up with a proven 'organised crime unit' (as the U.N. described them) (deleted) is IMO rather tacky. (deleted)

Just grow a pair and blow by them.

Breaking my promise of my last off topic post..sorry

The UN describes the RTP as an organized criminal element, not the Highway Police. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. HP are a separate element, but of course would never debate the legitimacy of the stories here on the board of people being unfairly fined by the HP, but I think the RTP traffic police win the award on that one.

I think we have covered this running police check points in other threads, you and I, and I think what I said before was I would never recommend ANYONE ignore a Thai police officers instructions to stop. There are numerous reliable reports of traffic cones being thrown in front of motorcyclists that do this, and not that long ago a rookie officer shot someone in the back for running a checkpoint. If it's just a 200B fine you are expecting to avoid, why risk increasing that to jail time, being injured, or something worse, like scratching that beautiful 848 of yours? Seems silly to me.

And in reference to one of your all too common personal attacks which was modded, sorry, but I spent 7 years as a cop in the states, so this little toy badge just doesn't do anything for me. Of course that may be some peoples motivation. One thing for certain, it will always be assumed by people on the outside looking in that people that do things like join Tourist Police volunteers or similar do so out of a need for power and status and personal gain. What I find working on the inside is that is very rarely the case. It seems more often that the person being critical is projecting their own misperceptions. Those few bad apples, if they do achieve such a position, can give all a bad name. Usually they get recognized and drummed out quickly.

For me, it is a great tool as a former cop with EMT training living here in the LOS. I tend to get involved helping people whether it be some tourists getting in a motorbike accident, or resuscitating drowning tourists at the beach. As you may know, generally speaking, as a foreigner getting involved in anything like that can sometimes mean trouble for you, like when my EMT friend spent an evening in jail for helping at an accident scene he was not involved with. (There is a Phuket Post article from a couple years back which quote officials instructing medically trained expats to NOT assist at accident scenes in Thailand) As a credentialed volunteer I don't need to worry about getting into trouble when I want to help, which I like. One friend of mine did it because he is applying for permanent residency and thinks it will look good on the application.

And from what I can tell both the expats that went through the training with me and the people that have been PMing me asking for more information on this program aren't the sort you describe in your modded comment either.

I am a fairly observant, law abiding driver/rider, certainly more than most Thai drivers I see, (unless, I admit, I am in the countryside on the Ninja) but if I am legitimately breaking a traffic law, I have no problem paying the ticket. As I said, being a volunteer provides us some protection from the scams we all hear and know exist in this, a developing country.

For all the people asking about it, when I get info on next years seminar in Phuket I will start a new thread in the motorcycle section with the information, but expect there to be one in April 2011 in Phuket.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

but joining up with a proven 'organised crime unit' (as the U.N. described them)

Actually, just to educate you, this is complete nonsense.

The UN never so much as mentioned a country, nevermind mention or describe an authority within one, never mind mention anything about Thailand, in the statement referred to.