Car Registration

jamesie

i have been lent a car by a mate who went back to UK for a short time.this has now become a 'longtime' because of personal issues for him.the car id due for re-registration next month.can i register it on his behalf without any authority from him?I have agreed to pay for it in return for using the car, no problems there,but would there be problems with the rego office? I have all relevant insurance papers and book so am hoping i can just pay as if its my car.

Also seem to remember reading on here, but now cannot find it, that you can pay somewhere in Big C...any advice much appreciated Cheers Jamesie

anyone with reg book in hand can pay annual road tax.

at Phuket DLT you can also pay for compulsary Insurance at the same time. Proof of valid Compulsary Insurance is needed before you are allowed to pay tax.

All done in less than 30 minutes if car does not need inspection, thats less than 6 years old

The Big C thing in the basement was closed when I was there a few days ago

If a car has to be inspected do they do it at the licensing centre or do you have to take it to a private garage.

A private car would be inspected at one of the private testing station. There are a few near the vehicle licence office. They have a testing sign outside, like a big gearwheel.

The license centre

If a car has to be inspected do they do it at the licensing centre or do you have to take it to a private garage.

A private car would be inspected at one of the private testing station. There are a few near the vehicle licence office. They have a testing sign outside, like a big gearwheel.

They need to take the engine no. details as well. (Is it the engine or the chassis no? - sorry cannot remember, but they will know.)

The vehicle license centre will be able to tell you which garages do the testing. On Samui, I get the testing garage to do the rest. They will take all of the documents and get your tax etc. (200 baht and no hassle - and hours of time saved.)

Edited by Tropicalevo

Correct! I go to the same place near my house every year. My car is 14 years old and one of my motorbikes is 13 years old. They know me and I think it's around a 100 baht charge for them to go to the Land Transportation Office. Well worth it. Never a problem. They just say; see you next year! I know they put an inspection sticker on my old 2 stroke bike, they did test it for "smoke." I never saw them do anything about testing my car. And I have never been asked for an ID or DL.

It took me about 2 minutes when I did it recently for my wife's car. I had a photocopy from the blue book plus the tear off piece at the bottom of the compulsory insurance. Handed them in, paid the fee & walked out shortly thereafter with the sticker. No ID needed. BTW the car is less than 6 years old.

The one downstairs at Big C is only open on the weekend.

annual inspection by owners choice, private testing station or DLT

transfer ownership at DLT only, but some garage owners are well connected at DLT and can do the transfer check at their garage pretending its been done at DLT.