Us Tourist Visa For My Filipino Wife

I would like to visit the US with my Filipino wife later this year or early next year. We both traveled to New Zealand earlier this year so she has a record of visiting a developed country. We are living in Thailand on retirement extensions. I have dual Australia/New Zealand citizenship so I don't need a visa to enter the US.

How difficult would it be for her to get a tourist visa to visit the US? How long are US tourist visas normally valid for? Should we use an agent?

Tropo, I wouldn't use an agent. She'll need to do this one on her own. Go to the US Embassy website and get info. As the above poster said, most filipinos have relatives in the US so make sure she's truthful on her application if she does. Also it could be tough for her as she is living in Thailand with a NZ husband so what reason would she have for returning to Pattaya. That place must be a nightmare for any non Thai wife. The filipinos love the US though and usually have family there. That could be a major negative. I think the US will check out her application really close

Tropo, I wouldn't use an agent. She'll need to do this one on her own. Go to the US Embassy website and get info. As the above poster said, most filipinos have relatives in the US so make sure she's truthful on her application if she does. Also it could be tough for her as she is living in Thailand with a NZ husband so what reason would she have for returning to Pattaya. That place must be a nightmare for any non Thai wife. The filipinos love the US though and usually have family there. That could be a major negative. I think the US will check out her application really close

Thanks for you reply. She has no family living in the US. Pattaya is not a nightmare for her, but I see your point in trying to show US immigration she has incentive to return.

Well tropo, her not having family in usa is a plus for sure. Showing documentation like cash in a thai bank might help and the fact that you both have lived here for some years (you have I think from reading your posts over the years). Not impossible to get it done and her travels to Oceania is a plus. Let's see what others have to say who may have a lot more knowledge than me

Apologies, Kuhn T. -- I did not intend -- at least for you -- to sound so snarky ... I used to stay near a large PH community in Vallejo, CA... Even if no family, does yourwife not have any friends? ... It is after all a natural condition to want to visit family and or friends in USA.

If one goes to the big house on Wireless and as a PH citizen says that she know NO PH citizens or naturalized PH US Citizens, credulity is being stretched right then and there.

BTW (Wikipedia) As of 2000, residents with Filipino ancestry made up 20.74% of Vallejo's population

Apologies, Kuhn T. -- I did not intend -- at least for you -- to sound so snarky ... I used to stay near a large PH community in Vallejo, CA... Even if no family, does yourwife not have any friends? ... It is after all a natural condition to want to visit family and or friends in USA.

If one goes to the big house on Wireless and as a PH citizen says that she know NO PH citizens or naturalized PH US Citizens, credulity is being stretched right then and there.

BTW (Wikipedia) As of 2000, residents with Filipino ancestry made up 20.74% of Vallejo's population

She has a cousin who she has no contact with living in the US. She has no idea where she lives. Filipino friends to visit in the US - none.

She has a cousin who she has no contact with living in the US. She has no idea where she lives. Filipino friends to visit in the US - none.

Tropo

one thing I know is that if you 2 lived in PI, it would be easier to get a tourist visa from there. I assume it's her idea to go there. You're a good man dude. Too bad these US visa threads don't get more responses.

Tropo

one thing I know is that if you 2 lived in PI, it would be easier to get a tourist visa from there. I assume it's her idea to go there. You're a good man dude. Too bad these US visa threads don't get more responses.

Thanks for your input.

You're right, it's her idea to go there. Filipinos are always talking about the US like it's some sort of holy grail and it's hard to put this idea to rest. Having said that, I've toured the US before and I did enjoy it.

I've read over the visa requirements on the US Embassy website. According to that US law assumes any visitors to be immigrants and it's our job to show otherwise and that there's no chance she's going to stay.

It's hard to know if living in the PI would make it easier. We will have to get official (NSO, NBI) documents from there though. I just put this thread out as a feeler to get some opinions on how we might go. Perhaps someone from another country who lives in Thailand has taken his Thai wife to visit the US.

Edited by tropo

Tropo

Thanks for your input.

You're right, it's her idea to go there. Filipinos are always talking about the US like it's some sort of holy grail and it's hard to put this idea to rest. Having said that, I've toured the US before and I did enjoy it.

I've read over the visa requirements on the US Embassy website. According to that US law assumes any visitors to be immigrants and it's our job to show otherwise and that there's no chance she's going to stay.

It's hard to know if living in the PI would make it easier. We will have to get official (NSO, NBI) documents from there though. I just put this thread out as a feeler to get some opinions on how we might go. Perhaps someone from another country who lives in Thailand has taken his Thai wife to visit the US.

Tropo

you might want to try the search system in this forum. I recall when I was searching around, there was a guy who worked in Saudi and another place or 2 and had tried for a visa for his Thai (gf or wife - I forgot). He was turned down from both of those countries (both not thailand). He was rather pissed off. I'm 100% positive his story is in this forum somewhere so have a look. He got a fair amount of responses I think

I don't thing there will a problem at all. In fact will be easier then if you applied in the PI. Just show your links to Thailand, long term extensions, lease/deed, bank accounts, etc along with her other trips overseas and it will be obvious to consulate officer she has no intentions of staying in the US.

Don't forget that even though you are eligible for visa exempt entry into the US, you still have to register with the Electronic System for Travel Authorization Web Site before making the trip. After Sep 10, 2010 the fee is $14.

TH

Just show your links to Thailand -- 10 years' worth of Tourist Visas before hitting the big 5-0 last year ...

Mrs. T. is the one needing the visa. As to her circumstances as a PH citizen with -- I presume -- a PH Passport visiting the USA the US Embassy/Consulate in PH has far more experience evaluating such situations ... but up to you.

Edited by jazzbo

Just show your links to Thailand -- 10 years' worth of Tourist Visas before hitting the big 5-0 last year ...

Mrs. T. is the one needing the visa. As to her circumstances as a PH citizen with -- I presume -- a PH Passport visiting the USA the US Embassy/Consulate in PH has far more experience evaluating such situations ... but up to you.

Do you understand that the Consulate is looking for ties (to somewhere) that shows she is not intending to stay.

The OP's ties to Thailand are one of the key factors that shows the wife is not intending to stay in the US.

The Pilipino wife of a non-US citizen living in Thailand is pretty much a sure bet that the intent is not to stay. Know plenty of people, non-US Citizens, with wives, Thai and non-Thai that have easily got US tourist visas in Bangkok. Know plenty of US citizens that have done so as well.

TH

This is what I understand: Who issues more Visas for PH citizens who are married to non-American citizens to visit the US -- Bangkok or Manila... as I said the rest is Up-To-You.

Earlier this year we applied for a NZ visa for my wife in Bangkok. They sent the application to Manila and processed it there. I have no idea what the policy of the US Embassy in Bangkok is, but going to the Philippines to get a visa for the US is not an option as it could take quite a while and that's too inconvenient and very expensive just for a tourist visa to visit a country. We'll have to do it from Thailand. If that can't be done, we'll just have to give the US a miss and go to Australia instead.

I'm guessing that it will be easier with her already living in another country (here in Thailand). Surely the fact she's visited my home country (NZ) this year for a month will count a lot.

Edited by tropo

A US Visa for Mrs. T in Bangkok a 'sure bet'? ... at any rate, certainly not worth a trip to PH just for the Visa ... Good Luck.

I don't recall saying it was a sure bet. I feel it's about 50/50 at best.

'Sure bet' = post #15

and OK -- I'll say it -- be prepared that when the US Consular Officer asks Mrs. T " ... and do you have family and/or friends in the USA that are from the Philippines" and she answers 'No' that there is an initial glance toward the ceiling.

Edited by jazzbo

She probably knows more people in the US than I do an I was born and raised there. The filipino connection with the US is so close. If Tropo said "hey honey were going to Aus instead", lol, you think that would cut it? not a chance. That will be one costly trip as well. Trips to the USA every few years break my bank and I dont pay for lodging

She probably knows more people in the US than I do an I was born and raised there. The filipino connection with the US is so close. If Tropo said "hey honey were going to Aus instead", lol, you think that would cut it? not a chance. That will be one costly trip as well. Trips to the USA every few years break my bank and I dont pay for lodging

Spending a lot of time on the internet in Facebook etc she knows people living in the US. Everyone does, but she has no friends there.

I'll be visiting some of my friends there.

Australia is where we will eventually go to live. The US trip would be a vacation.

I don't thing there will a problem at all. In fact will be easier then if you applied in the PI. Just show your links to Thailand, long term extensions, lease/deed, bank accounts, etc along with her other trips overseas and it will be obvious to consulate officer she has no intentions of staying in the US.

I tend to agree, though if you wanna be on the safe side OP, take her to Australia or Japan, or an additional developed country before you apply. My gf gotta 10 year tourist visa, and I reside in the US permanently, but we had visited Japan and Canada, and got an unused NZ tourist visa, before we successfully applied for the US last christmas. I haven't read as many rejection stories on thaivisa lately, maybe the Obama admin has made things easier.

This is what I understand: Who issues more Visas for PH citizens who are married to non-American citizens to visit the US -- Bangkok or Manila... as I said the rest is Up-To-You.

The OP asked a simple and reasonable question. Jazzbo responded with a snide and meaningless question, and has yet to add any useful or remotely helpful commentary.

That is what *I* understand.

• Like 1

Tropo

Thanks for your input.

Tropo

you might want to try the search system in this forum. I recall when I was searching around, there was a guy who worked in Saudi and another place or 2 and had tried for a visa for his Thai (gf or wife - I forgot). He was turned down from both of those countries (both not thailand). He was rather pissed off. I'm 100% positive his story is in this forum somewhere so have a look. He got a fair amount of responses I think

Others should know better, but it seems to me a toursit visa could be applied for through the PI and be picked up on the way or her PI Passport stamped via mail.

However - question: Why live here, when PI gives any spouse of PI citizen free an unlimited rights to stay - a once a year visit to Immigration - basically to show you are still married..??

I have tried to explain the general attitude at any US Embassy or Consulate when a PH Citizen says that he/she has NO friends or relatives in the USA and what such a person might expect when claiming as such upon visa application ... again, my last answer suggests a plausible explanation for any planned visit to USA.

I could maybe further explain but h-ll -- I am just as you say an utterly unhelpful snide and useless person ... The OP has described elsewhere on this web-board his feelings about living full-time in PH ...

BTW You might also note that the OP has close to 7000 posts -- maybe you should take a look at some of them ...

Edited by jazzbo

The last 2 posters make excellent sense based on what I just read. The consular officer will probably just reject the application without looking much into it due to the confusion of the OPs whole situation and exceptional knowledge of Filipinos love and connections with the US of A. I predict a rejection if applied for in Thailand but what do I know.

I guess I will have to explain to my 2 colleagues with Pilipino wives, the 3 with Chinese wives, and one with an Indonesian wife that the tourist visas issued to them in Bangkok over the past 5 years (all of them 10 year multi entry) are not valid as the experts on TV say there is no way they would ever get them.

hel_l, I have friend (UK) that got a tourist visa in Bangkok for his Pilipino maid when he took the family to Disney World a few years ago.

TH

Well, based on all that, it looks like a shoe-in for Tropo and his USA lovin' wife. Rock on and hope to hear a positive report. This thaihome dude knows a lot more than I do about filipinos and USA visas and that aint no joke so go for it Tropo, good luck and enjoy Vegas