Perseverance Pays Off

kenny999

Congrats! Agree with you it's not easy to catch a mekong at Phuket Fishing Park.

When you be fishing again? I might fish one more time before I move to Bangkok.

Hi will be going next Tue I used to go a couple of times a week but it's to expensive so once a week from now on...

Well Done!

What method and bait were you using?

Cheers Mark I am chuffed with the catch, as for method float fishing about 3ft deep using bread and my own mix of groundbait, caught many Carp and Sawai and only a couple of Pacu. not sure of the weight of this Mekong but it felt 20kg plus.

But although I was using bread on the hook I am quite sure the Mekong went for the groundbait as that is why I made it to target the them.. I still think it will always be very difficult to catch Mekong there as they are wild which as I am sure you know are Plankton and vegetation eaters, still they have to eat and will be adaptable to something else, lets hope I can catch more they are great fish.

Edited by kenny999

The Mekong catfish are fun to catch for an afternoon's outing, and the cost is relatively inexpensive. We use fly rods and white rabbit fur flies that looks like the bread we toss in to attract the fish. They are strong fish that really pull hard and run off a lot of line. They can be picked up by their stiff pectoral fins just beside their gills.

Ian_with_Pla_Buk_1.sized.jpg

Ian_with_BIG_catfish_Em.jpg