Bangkok Fitness Clubs

thaitanic

I'm looking for a fitness club within reach of On Nut. Somewhere down Sukhumvit fits the bill.

I've just been through the initial round of sales shenanigans and, after much crossing out and rewriting of prices, this is what we're down to so far:

Fitness First at Sukhumvit soi 39: 1,712 Baht admin fee plus 2,509 Baht per month for 1 year (including towels and use of all clubs)

True Fitness at Asoke: 26,888 Baht for 2 years

California Wow at Ekkamai: 20,868 Baht for 2 years (including towels and use of all clubs)

At the current price the Fitness First is a bit pricey. The California Wow at Ekkamai is best located for me. It's a bit crowded but I could train off-peak. I know I'll have to deal with further personal trainer sales BS after joining.

I'm wondering how much lower the price could go, especially after reading of 11,000 Baht lifetime memberships last year. What has anyone else paid recently to join these clubs? Also, any other good gyms around with less horrible sales tactics?

Cheers

you can get a lifetime membership at most California WOW gyms for around 12,000 baht. My friend just got one for that price. I would re-check with them again.

Yes, if they wont give it to you at Ekkamai, go register at the one on Silom Road (near the bts). Ask that in the deal you will be able to use every Cali Wow gym in Thailand make it written in your contract. This is what I did and no problem so far after over 9 months. Never had any issue with after sales, never had any trainers or sale agents talk to me.

Thanks for the replies :)

stolidfeline, I'll wander down the road and check out Now's later. Thanks for the tip.

oneway2himm, do you know which California branch your friend recently got the 12k lifetime membership?

Does anyone know if California offer the cheapest deals in a face-to-face meeting, or by calling after the meeting, or by SMS? I gave them a fake mobile number at the initial meeting because I know how much these guys can hound you. I'm seriously thinking of getting a pre-paid SIM in my old phone just for taking gym sales calls.

I went into the one at the esplanade last year and was offered a lifetime membership for 12000 and I could use any branch. The only problem with California is it's always so busy unless you can go during the day time. Still a great deal though. Just walk into any branch and ask for the same deal. If they don't wanna give it to you right away just leave, but make sure you give them your real number coz I'm sure they will call you by the end of the day.

stay away from those overcrowded shopping mall like gyms... (if u can)

I signed with cali wow for a year and just left... threw away 8000B.

couldn't stand that f*cking place... full of thai superdudes and annoying personal trainers...

I've tried them all true-first-cali all a big bunch off nothing... really its impossible for me to focus 100% on my training in those places.. ive found a gym where the thai bodybuilding team trains since i train there ive made the gains of my lifewink.gif great motivation there..

all those other places: pure torture.. still angry at myself that ive donated a portion off my money to that place bah.gif

couldn't stand that f*cking place... full of thai superdudes and annoying personal trainers...

I've tried them all true-first-cali all a big bunch off nothing... really its impossible for me to focus 100% on my training in those places.. ive found a gym where the thai bodybuilding team trains since i train there ive made the gains of my lifewink.gif great motivation there..

all those other places: pure torture.. still angry at myself that ive donated a portion off my money to that place bah.gif

Do you mean the Powerzone gym? What are they charging on memberships? Does it get busy after work and weekends?

I would say it depends on what you expect out of the gym. I am a member ship at True Fitness in Asoke. They've got a good equipment and reasonably clean. I signed up for 5 years membership and you can also use in Singapore and our nearby countries. It comes with 5 times of free training which I used it for boxing classes and a few free or discount tickets. it cost about 67,000 baht. That amount can be divided to 10 times payment with 0% interest. It is a very good price I would say.

For a cheaper option, I would say if you can afford to go to the gym outside the rush hour and want to be in a smaller budget then California Wow could do. If you can not avoid the rush hour then CAwow could be a nightmare. The level of maintenance, apparently is quite low ... Frankly,I don't really know the condition inside. But you often get what you pay for : )

For Fitness First, from what i've heard,they are good. But as I live in Asoke. True fitness is more appeal. The Fitness First that near my place is too small to get in and not much of the good deal to be have. So I didn't choose it. and that is a total personal reason.. nothing to do with the quality and the price.

So one more of the issue, traveling time should be consider too. You don't want to get yourself in a position that it is hard to go to the gym. As getting out of the house to the gym is hard enough... to have to feel struggling to travel to the gym ... you can just forget about it. You would never actually go there after 2 weeks after you sign up!

Good luck and Keep exercising! it is absolutely a good thing to put in your daily happy life : )

Do you mean the Powerzone gym? What are they charging on memberships? Does it get busy after work and weekends?

yes powerzone gym

1200 baht for a month

it gets a bit busier after work but at cali wow it was always busy and after work hours it was just unbareable

powerzone gym until 6pm its just great 2 train there.. after well a bit more busy but at least a good atmosphere

great gym IMO.. at least its hardcore en no thai superdudes

I got lifetime membership at cawow in Pattaya for 10,000B, and that covers all cawows in bkk and one in Chang mai, I think it covers 7 gyms in total. I got this about 3 months ago and not sure if the deal is still on. If so it would be worth the trip to patts just to get the lifetime membership.

Salsa is great as it's very active.

I love a good gym and one that has everything - good cardio equipment, weights, pool, cafe, boxing, bootcamps, steamrooms and a gym that gives you kit to train in so you dont need to carry your sweaty clothes to meetings after work.

I like to mix it up -Boxings my fav but I still swim and do a little weights (bodyweights).

I would love to see Bangkok set up better for outdoor fitness - Brisbane Aust is awesome for this

Keep fit and train hard

• 6 months later...

What I like to think about is the fact that California WoW gyms are full of posers/leerers. Gays in the cubicles.. Made me feel really uncomfortable especially at Ekamai. It might as well be a bath house for homosexual men.

True Fitness is ok,

Fitness First however is exceptional. I have been with them for under a year, and have lost 18 kilos.

Changed my life

So unless you like people watching your ass, I would stay away from California(It's all about the money with them anyway)

What I like to think about is the fact that California WoW gyms are full of posers/leerers. Gays in the cubicles.. Made me feel really uncomfortable especially at Ekamai. It might as well be a bath house for homosexual men.

True Fitness is ok,

Fitness First however is exceptional. I have been with them for under a year, and have lost 18 kilos.

Changed my life

So unless you like people watching your ass, I would stay away from California(It's all about the money with them anyway)

Sounds like your a bit homophobic :D

Been to cali wow many times and never had a problem. I usually train at home in my own gym.

True Fitness is ok,

Changed my life

Been to cali wow many times and never had a problem. I usually train at home in my own gym.

nah not homophobic. I just don't like having to use a sauna when there are two men inside cuddling with the light off(Ekkamai), and blokes walking around in skin tight lycra staring at people(Sukhumvit 23). I go to a gym to train. not be stared at and made to feel uncomfortable by various people in those gyms

True Fitness is ok,

Changed my life

nah not homophobic. I just don't like having to use a sauna when there are two men inside cuddling with the light off(Ekkamai), and blokes walking around in skin tight lycra staring at people(Sukhumvit 23). I go to a gym to train. not be stared at and made to feel uncomfortable by various people in those gyms

Ok never had that happen but it would not bother me much as i am there to train. I would be going to cali wow a lot if it was closer to my home. Now i train at home in my own gym that has its advantages. Though there would be a bit more variation in cali wow.

• 5 weeks later...

Went shopping for a membership today (April 2011). Here's what I was quoted:

California Wow - 22,000 for 1 year, 2,000 per year thereafter. Includes all branches, yoga classes, towels and can bring 1 friend per day.

Fitness First - 2,795 per month, 3,200 joining fee. All branches and can use overseas locations too.

True Fitness - 18,888 for 1 year, no additional fees.

I did call in to multiple branches and cross-check the prices. I believe Fitness First could go even lower and True would have a deal if you signed for longer than a year. Ended up going with California simply because of location. Compared to the 8,000-14,000 lifetime memberships that were offered a couple of years ago seems expensive, but still quite reasonable when compared to overseas gyms.

California Wow - 22,000 for 1 year, 2,000 per year thereafter. Includes all branches, yoga classes, towels and can bring 1 friend per day.

Fitness First - 2,795 per month, 3,200 joining fee. All branches and can use overseas locations too.

True Fitness - 18,888 for 1 year, no additional fees.

California, rip off, bring a friend if you dare, they will be hounded to purchase a membership as soon as they walk through the door I paid 15,000 for a lifetime membership but have not been due to the plastics that occupy the venues

True fitness: make sure you pay cash, not credit card, otherwise they will charge you right after your 1 year is up.

Fitness First: Best gym by far.... I currently pay 2074 baht per month, to use all gyms including Platinum. I train at Bangna, and it is the best gym I have ever used and trained in. Friendly staff, customers, and most importantly trainers that don't bug you but are there to help

Edited by mightyharriss

Gyms are a poncey overpriced rip-off

get yourself sown to Suan Ben (park next to emporium).

You can jog around a beautiful park for free

They've just put in a load of free machines (Bench press, Hill climbers, Sit up Machines)

All free - As fitness should be

:)

I have to agree with you 100%. Most of these commercial gyms make a large portion of their money from people that aren't even there; that's why they always try to get you to sign up for a long term agreement. People decide to change their life by getting fit, so sign up for a year or two, or for life, then go to the gym twice and never return again.

Suan Ben, or something similar is a perfect alternative to these over priced gyms. If you are serious about getting fit (and I don't mean looking like Arnold with the V shape and rock hard six-pack), try so set up a low intensity routine and stick to it. If you lose interest, at least you just saved 10,000 or more baht.

PS: The pool at Suan Ben only costs 40 baht per year and 15 baht per visit. You can't beat that price anywhere. The pool is restricted to swimming, so you don't have to worry about kids playing with inflatable toys getting in your way.

For gym training, I lift weights and use a recumbent bicycle. As long as the bike is working, then what can go wrong with the weights? As such, while Fitness First is much nicer, for the price, my CalWow 9,000 baht lifetime membership with a recurring 100 baht per year continuance fee fits the bill. I train at PinKlao most often (using Silom and Asoke at times), and except for the occasional wait for a bench or bike, and the total lack of gym etiquette by most other members, I get my work out in fine.

I went to a rather nice gym this week in Cebu, and yes, it was refreshing to have a professional trainer to discuss things (and who was there to spot), but as I am fairly well versed in training techniques, getting a good trainer is just not worth the extra expense to me. And to be honest, I don't think I have met a trainer in Thailand who knew more than I do about training. At CaliWow, for example, I have seen several of their trainers give information which was patently against accepted training doctrine.

For a neophyte, though, I would consider going to a better gym such as Fitness First or a good stand-alone gym for six months or a year and get the training, then move to a bargain gym such as CaliWow once you have the training basics down.

(I should also point out that on each trip back to the US, I work out in a Marine Corps gym with a very good training staff, and I use that to get the latest training tips and to make sure my form and routine have not slipped while I am in Thailand.)