Looking For A Shop With A Top To Stop The Drop

rrose070

We have an outdoor concrete table and bench set which is classic Thai design. The four concrete benches are radiused around the 90cm round table top which is also concrete. The table top has the standard tile checker board inset. The whole set weighs about a million pounds.

We want to replace the table top with one that has a hole for an umbrella. Has anyone seen a shop that sells these concrete tables with an umbrella hole instead of the checkerboard? I'm also shopping for a sturdy, attractive table umbrella that will shield our table from the rain and sun. I suppose a study vinyl would be better than fabric. Where is an umbrella shop when you really need one?

I know I could drill a hole in the middle of my checkboard table top but I don't have the proper tools to core a 50mm concrete hole and it would make the checkerboard ugly and unusable. Drilling is my last resort.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I can't help with the concrete top, but you can buy the large vinyl umbrellas from a number of different shops on the road that you travel along if you cross over Nawarat bridge heading out of town (within a few hundred metres of the bridge). Mine's been stood out in the sun for 4 years and is still fine...

Have you heard of paint? could be a really "fun" project, drilling a hole and re-painting in funky rice paddy green or shocking pink!!

Otherwise go to any of the shops that sell them and ask them to make you one with a hole in the middle, That's what we did. The place we went to is a few hundred metres past Rimping Meechok on the way to Mae Jo. Lots of others about though usually found on the ring roads or main roads out of town. ) Whilst you are there why not treat yourself to a big concrete cock! I'd love to know who buy's those???

Edited by ChiangMai2

... snip ... Whilst you are there why not treat yourself to a big concrete cock! I'd love to know who buy's those???

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ChiangMai2,

While we read your message we did not have the thought that those are replacements for aging, broken, and/or less well-endowed, concrete men, or for transgender concrete women ready to take the next "big step for mankind."

So we thought we would not mention that on the forum, since it's such a tasteless thought.

best, ~o:37;

Hammer 'n chisel the few checker tiles off (without cracking table) and then chain drill with masonry bit... or come from behind ( :whistling: ) and blat right through the tiles. Bit of a heavy, messy job though and would really need a Hilti drill. An alternative is to bung a masonry cutting disk on an angle grinder and slice through it both sides... it'll bite a bit, though, and you'll end up with grooves and a square hole. Recommend getting a new one and burying the other in the garden.

On second thoughts, you could always get hold of a metal brolly and have a flange welded on the end... drill four holes in the middle of the table and whang bolts in there. If you bugger the holes, bung another plate underneath. ;)

Hey Rose. Maybe you n J are better off thinking the Thai way. I'm betting there's a multi umbrella fix to this rather than retrofitting the table you've got.It's very rare that I've seen a well-done umbrella-in-table combo anyway - them thangs are always tipping one way or the other and get annoying.I'd either go for a quick 2-3 free-standing umbrella purchase or just look around at what other Thais do in their own yards for a cpl weeks to see if you don't find a better more time/money./aesthetically pleasing solution. But I do get it.... it's raining n you wanna sit outside. Or is it the sun ? Good luck n get back to us w/ what you learn.