Rejected For 1 Year Multiple Entry Visa In Kl

I have just come back from Kuala Lumpur and was rejected for a multiple entry visa, because they said i had already had too many in my passport ( i have 3). i have a thai wife and had all the same paperwork i had last year when i was issued one with no problems. they actually said i had all the necessary documents, including 100k bank account, marriage certficate, copies of wife id and house book, but they only offered me a single entry and told to do a one year extension at immigration in Thailand. i tried to argue my case, and told them i have a baby to take care of, but it made no difference. they also keep the difference in fees (over 3000 baht). My UK passport is almost due for renewal: is it worth going to Penang and trying there with a new passport, or will i be automatically rejected again? if so, what other options do i have, other than doing the one year extension, which i have done before? is it ok to do back to back 30 days VOAs?

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry your application got rejected . A bit of a surprise really cause you have a legitimate right to stay with your family .

perhaps they are shaping their policies again , I remember they did that before , and later on take it easy again , Penang even more so .

I've got no idea if you will be able to do it in penang , or if they are given it out there at the moment , sure some others know this from recent reports , so long they do not give you a red stamp in your passport it might be good to give it a try .

The 30 days VOA , or is it 15 ,is not as in the past , not unlimited anymore , the onlt other thing you could do is go to your home country to get a multiple or do the extension if you got 400k , its not that hard to do if you got the money .

Good luck and keep it posted how things are going , hope others will do too , so we can be warned and ready for possible situations .

btw you could try Bali as well , nice place to visit too . I know someone who got it a short while ago .

Edited by tijnebijn
  • Like 2

You can obtain a 60 day extension without financial requirements so perhaps that should be your next. You can also obtain visa exempt and tourist visas without much problem and likely single entry non immigrant O and probably do the 60 day extension up to three times a year (although no set limit).

• Like 1

You can obtain a 60 day extension without financial requirements so perhaps that should be your next. You can also obtain visa exempt and tourist visas without much problem and likely single entry non immigrant O and probably do the 60 day extension up to three times a year (although no set limit).

thanks for all the quick responses. i will certainly do the 60 day extension. Lopburi3, would i be automatically rejected at penang - just wondering if they keep a black list?

Considering all the costs and travelling around asia several times a year , flying to

your homecountry in my opinion could be cheaper costwise , especially if you can stay with family or friends , a couple of days and back you are ....

Your passport validity might have been the problem here and would indeed advise not to try anywhere else until you have a new passport.

That would be logical indeed , cause he told us he had already three multi's in his passport , but they told him another reason for rejection , anyway did you hear it before

about limits , interesting to know that .

Indeed now that i register the comment on passport needing to be renewed soon it indeed does sound as if that is the reason a one year visa could not be issued.

Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application.
  • Like 1

Indeed now that i register the comment on passport needing to be renewed soon it indeed does sound as if that is the reason a one year visa could not be issued.

Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application.

Doesn't surprise me at all the senior officer rejected it because of , gave it back to

the officer at the counter , her seeing it was rejected , the Op asking why , she not

knowing the real reason , and just gave him the response as they do with people who go for multiple touristvisa's they reject .

Could be logic when thinking about it , so the Op might not worrie .

I can only offer one piece of advice. I can personally attest that the Perth, Australia Thai consulate is an easy place to get a one year O visa. I merely had to say that I had a Thai gf (copy of id card and address) and I was in business. Others agree. Perhaps a trip to sunny Perth?

I can only offer one piece of advice. I can personally attest that the Perth, Australia Thai consulate is an easy place to get a one year O visa. I merely had to say that I had a Thai gf (copy of id card and address) and I was in business. Others agree. Perhaps a trip to sunny Perth?

heard that Perth is going to close in not to distant future . :(

As of Jan this year Penang were issuing 1 year multi with the docs you had through the guesthouse below. You may wanna contact new banana guest house in Chulia Street for updates. Google them for details, you can either phone or email...they only charge 50 baht for doing a one year if you stay at their guesthouse.

• Like 1

Your passport validity might have been the problem here and would indeed advise not to try anywhere else until you have a new passport.

my passport still has 4 years validity, but i now only have 3 full pages left, which is why i want to renew. but this was never mentioned as the reason for rejection. they definitely questioned the number of previous visas i had, and the number of stamps i had. i was taken into the back room to discuss the case, so it was a prolonged conversation.

Were you able to provide a logical source of funds? Do you believe it a foreign job and frequent travel might have been accepted as a reason for using this type of visa?

Not trying to question you but the more information for others the better and if you had a long conversation you might have picked up on what they might have been looking at.

I can only offer one piece of advice. I can personally attest that the Perth, Australia Thai consulate is an easy place to get a one year O visa.

I have to admit that I find it annoying that to be pretty much assured of dealing with someone with common sense on these matters, you have to fly to a Western country and make sure to go to a Thai consulate run by a Westerners. Going to a consulate or Embassy run by Thai nationals is always a crap shoot even with all the proper documentation. :annoyed:

my passport still has 4 years validity, but i now only have 3 full pages left, which is why i want to renew. but this was never mentioned as the reason for rejection. they definitely questioned the number of previous visas i had, and the number of stamps i had. i was taken into the back room to discuss the case, so it was a prolonged conversation.

I got my Multi O on July 29 from KL, I am married to a Thai, only had 3 pages (2 after they affixed the visa)left in the passport and have 4 consecutive previous multi O's. I guess there must be some other reason for your refusal. If you do end up going back to the UK, go to Cardiff, show your marriage certificate and thats it, in and out in 10 minutes.Also Perth is reportedly very easy although apparently closing in October.

If I were you I would arange a trip back to the UK, go to the Passport office in Newport, get the passport done and then pop into Cardiff and get the new visa, then eveything is sorted.

Did you put your address as being in Thailand on your application? Then this is why the multi-entry was rejected and you were advised to get an extension of stay through immigration in Thailand. You should not have been rejected for the visa but rather only given a single-entry non-o instead.

Were you able to provide a logical source of funds? Do you believe it a foreign job and frequent travel might have been accepted as a reason for using this type of visa?

Not trying to question you but the more information for others the better and if you had a long conversation you might have picked up on what they might have been looking at.

they did ask if i had bank statements of my home country accounts, which i did not have as it was not one of the stated requirements. i am not of retiring age, and do not need to work, so looking back it could be that my age was of disadvantage to me - i guess it is a sin to be relatively young and wealthy - but this did not stop me from obtaining visas in the past. Maybe they wrongly assumed i must be working illegally in Thailand, so my guess is that people of retiring age or are frequent travellers will not have any problems. another strange thing was they actually stuck a multiple entry visa into my passport, but it was not stamped. when they offered me the single entry, they just crossed out the 'M' and wrote 'S' beside it, so i am thinking the boss change his mind at the last minute.

Did you put your address as being in Thailand on your application? Then this is why the multi-entry was rejected and you were advised to get an extension of stay through immigration in Thailand. You should not have been rejected for the visa but rather only given a single-entry non-o instead.

i put my address as being in Hong Kong, as i have dual citizenship. i have put the same information in the past and have been successful with my application. In hindsight, i should have got a HK passport also and alternated the passports when applying for visas, but i assumed as my wife is Thai i would not have any difficulties. this does bring up a good question: are there any advantages or disadvanatges in using a Hong Kong passport over a UK passport? Would the Thai embassy in Hong Kong be an option for a multiple entry visa?

There is a bilateral agreement with Hong Kong for visa exempt entry, meaning that you will always get 30 days on arrival whether you arrive by land or air.

If you were to work in Thailand you would only need to show an income of 45,000 a month to get an extension of stay based on work.

There is a bilateral agreement with Hong Kong for visa exempt entry, meaning that you will always get 30 days on arrival whether you arrive by land or air.

If you were to work in Thailand you would only need to show an income of 45,000 a month to get an extension of stay based on work.

that great! so worst case scenario is i can stay in thailand for as long as i want - i just have to do a border run every 30 days. As there is no Hong Kong embassy in Thailand, would i have to return to HK to apply for passport? I know it's a long shot, but are there any HK citizens on this forum who have successfully applied for passport from within Thailand?

With your current UK passport you would get 15 days when entering at a land border and 30 days when entering at an airport.

You can always get a 60 day extension of stay based on your Thai wife from immigration, without the need to show money.

With your current UK passport you would get 15 days when entering at a land border and 30 days when entering at an airport.

You can always get a 60 day extension of stay based on your Thai wife from immigration, without the need to show money.

yes, i am aware of this, but the reason i am reluctant to do this as there is no agreement between uk and thailand, and they could at any time say i have too many back to back stamps and refuse me entry. also, they can change the rules at anytime, which they frequently do. I am thinking it is better to do this on a Hong Kong passport, as there is an agreement between the two countries.

also, can you get 60 day extension on a 30 day entry?

I think only 7 days.

I think only 7 days.

No, he is married to a Thai national. That means you can get a 60 day extension.

Considering all the costs and travelling around asia several times a year , flying to

your homecountry in my opinion could be cheaper costwise , especially if you can stay with family or friends , a couple of days and back you are ....

that is the solution .

I have just returned from KL where I was given a multi entry and my home address was given as in Thailand, so this doesn't necessarily apply.

I was however surprised when I got home and my wife told me that the embassy had called her, asked her for her ID number and confirmation that she was my wife!!