Double Scam Restaurant In Pattaya

Beetlejuice

Yeah my impression is that the main tact of the tourist police is to tell people to pay the money, whatever it is, and move on, otherwise there will be trouble.

Of course, I agree the best prevention is if you smell a rat get out before it is too late, but like all such advise, easier said than done, sometimes our ratdar isn't up to snuff.

Edited by Jingthing

While I am not going to argue the facts of your experience as you relate them, I can assure everyone that it is certainly an exception. I have eaten basically 2-3 meals a day out in Thailand for over a decade (so we're talking around 10,000 restaurant meals) and have never come across a scam such as you relate. However, there are many such scams in business that cater to sex-tourists and sexpats (which this place appears to be one judging by the fact that they have those kind of "hostesses" on staff at a RESTAURANT. I would suggest that maybe you upgrade the class of establishments in which you fill your hunger and therefore avoid such unpleasantness at the end of your meal.

I concur most enthusiastically. I have never come across the kind of scam outside of a red light establishment. :blink:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I concur most enthusiastically. I have never come across the kind of scam outside of a red light establishment. :blink:

That's the point. It WAS a red light establishment. However, I have certainly come across menu pricing issues at different kinds of places. There is the old Thai menu/English menu one where the prices are different. Then of course quite commonly the bill will be padded over the menu price with the hope you won't complain. Then you show them the price on the menu your ordered from and they say with a straight face, the price went up, that's the old price on the menu, etc. But those are usually petty amounts compared to the story in the OP, granted.

Edited by Jingthing

A few hours ago the name of the restaurant suddenly returned to me. But I will not give it out, do not wish to further get involved and would rather put this down to experience.

The restaurant looked quite posh from the outside and I had no idea this was a hostess place, it was not obvious. I never kept hold of the first menu because something like this has not happened to me before and when the bill arrived was something completely unexpected. But I know for the next time and have passed my experience on to you.

Edited by Beetlejuice

If you approach the Tourist Police in a sober manner, dressed properly, without offensive tattoos and a grazed shaven head and multiple body piercings and facial ironmongery, then they will listen to your complaint in a sympathetic and professional way.

Sadly, less than 1% of Pattaya dwellers fall into the ideal above said guise.

Sadly even the 1% you are writing about is going to get exactly the same answer, the problem here is not "whom are asking for assistance" but the way "whom supposed to give assistance" are acting, if we can talk of any action at all apart from listening passively and giving an excuse not even the laziest person in the kingdom could think about....

i was in a tense scam situation last week. i was on soi 6 and it was the end of the nights festivities for me and thirsty for a cold beer so i stopped in this bar just for 1 beer. girl comes over, the usual "buy me drink" and i explained i am drinking this and going home.

so she keeps talking to me as i drink my brew and then i asked for check bin. THE BILL WAS 410 baht! i asked the katoey cashier

what is this extra 300 baht item. He says oh you take lady. i said i never asked her etc but he still demanded the money. i slid him 110bt for the beer and said ewt jai lai and started to walk out. he starts yelling and 2 katoeys come and try to block me from leaving

yelling at me.and i pushed my way thru, it was a tense moment that could of turned ugly

• Like 1

The restaurant looked quite posh from the outside and I had no idea this was a hostess place, it was not obvious.

Many such establishments are often "posh" or upscale so that alone is no way to tell what's the deal. However, I would think it's pretty easy to tell a regular restaurant from one with extras...I mean, most regular restos give you a menu, take your order, and bring you your food and DO NOT have any lady staff around pestering you to buy her a drink or trying to engage you in conversation during your meal.

Edited by FarangBuddha

....you could have just called the tourist police

and they would likely dismiss the whole matter with a "did you spoke to the staff? yes? then you have to pay", just ask for "Josh" if you have any doubts....:D The police in Pattaya, what an oxymoron....

If you approach the Tourist Police in a sober manner, dressed properly, without offensive tattoos and a grazed shaven head and multiple body piercings and facial ironmongery, then they will listen to your complaint in a sympathetic and professional way.

Hi Syd

You are so right! The place has changed, hasn't it? :angry:

i was in a tense scam situation last week. i was on soi 6 and it was the end of the nights festivities for me and thirsty for a cold beer so i stopped in this bar just for 1 beer. girl comes over, the usual "buy me drink" and i explained i am drinking this and going home.

so she keeps talking to me as i drink my brew and then i asked for check bin. THE BILL WAS 410 baht! i asked the katoey cashier

what is this extra 300 baht item. He says oh you take lady. i said i never asked her etc but he still demanded the money. i slid him 110bt for the beer and said ewt jai lai and started to walk out. he starts yelling and 2 katoeys come and try to block me from leaving

yelling at me.and i pushed my way thru, it was a tense moment that could of turned ugly

What Bar?

probably best ways to avoid this are to remember:

1. always look at the menu posted outside before entering (not so easy to pull the double menu scam).
  2. Only use well patronised restaurants, there can be many things wrong with the place but if a restaurant is busy it probably is a good place eat.

A few hours ago the name of the restaurant suddenly returned to me. But I will not give it out, do not wish to further get involved and would rather put this down to experience.

The restaurant looked quite posh from the outside and I had no idea this was a hostess place, it was not obvious. I never kept hold of the first menu because something like this has not happened to me before and when the bill arrived was something completely unexpected. But I know for the next time and have passed my experience on to you.

Thank you.

I will practice cowering and running away!

When you are in that situation: do not pay.

Just stand up, very polite and go out, never come back.

I will walk today to see Soi4 if there is such a restaurant, I will not post the name or pictures... I will just tell if such a place really exists.

In 1998, I went into a place in Pattaya for a much needed breakfast, I was offered a BJ and a soft drink.

From the outside it looked like a place you could get a decent chow, and at that hour of the morning, not many people were about.

Edited by Rimmer
Descriptive text

While I am not going to argue the facts of your experience as you relate them, I can assure everyone that it is certainly an exception. I have eaten basically 2-3 meals a day out in Thailand for over a decade (so we're talking around 10,000 restaurant meals) and have never come across a scam such as you relate. However, there are many such scams in business that cater to sex-tourists and sexpats (which this place appears to be one judging by the fact that they have those kind of "hostesses" on staff at a RESTAURANT. I would suggest that maybe you upgrade the class of establishments in which you fill your hunger and therefore avoid such unpleasantness at the end of your meal.

what a snotty post.

what a snotty post.

No No No, I'm there for the hostesses,the food is an extra.

this kind of sh*t cracks me up , when are farang going to start fighting back and standing their ground ? ive seen it done loads of times but its not up to me to intervene, i dont mind a few baht onto a bar bill but this type of scam ? i would have stood my ground no matter what , ive had a few times when thais have tried to take me for a scam but i have stood up and they have backed down when they know you aint no easy touch .

Edited by dmax

....you could have just called the tourist police

and they would likely dismiss the whole matter with a "did you spoke to the staff? yes? then you have to pay", just ask for "Josh" if you have any doubts....:D The police in Pattaya, what an oxymoron....

what about yellow shorts with dogs on them and no tattoos etc. you think ok or not-------------------------also is little bit pissed ok

In 1998, I went into a place in Pattaya for a much needed breakfast, I was offered a BJ and a soft drink.

From the outside it looked like a place you could get a decent chow, and at that hour of the morning, not many people were about.

BJ??? Is that a Burger with Jam?

• Like 1

BJ??? Is that a Burger with Jam?

..and a smoke...