Looking For Headphones

dttk0009

I've been thinking about picking up a nice pair of headphones as I don't really own one that's even worth mentioning. I guess I don't want to really set myself on too strict of a budget because I understand that you're going to get what you pay for, for the most part.After a bit of reading and research, I've decided that I'm interested in a few models, for example:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Denon AH-D1001

Denon AH-D7000

Anyone know where these brands can be bought and how much I should be expecting to pay? The first two are something like $150 in the US and the last is close to $1000. I don't really mind going that high, I just don't want to pay $800 dollars for a $150 product.

Any other input or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by dttk0009

Check out the ratings at www.headphones.com. The site is considered very definitive by audiophiles. They rate them and also sell them. Good to step through their "headphone buyer's guide". I homed in on my Sennheiser cans using that route about 5 years ago and have not regretted it a bit.

Also check www.headphones.com, similar to but different from the above.

I use Etymotics.

If I wanted to replace them I would get these Monster Turbines.

Monster

For full size I use Sennheiser HD 600's.

There is a shop in Pantiip Plaza. Ground floor, toward the back you'll see s full service Bangkok Bank. Go back in the channel on the left side of the bank 3 meters & you'll see the shop.

Holler if you need more help.

I too cast my vote on Sennheiser.

The distributor for Sennheiser in Thailand is: EPS IT PLUS Co. Ltd., 48/26 1st fl., EPS Building Soi Rungruang Ratchadapisek Rd. Samseannok, Huay-Kwong, Bangkok

Tel: 02-276 8381

Web: www.epsitplus.co.th

Yeah go to Pantip, ground level, straight ahead toward the back. You can't miss it because it's full of head phones. If you are really serious you want to try before you buy. Headphones/speakers are like wine. Personal preference comes into play. Also you might want to see where they distort, if the mix is anyway muddy, or lacking clarity, etc. I've owned Audio-Technica in the past and currently own. I always thought they gave good bang for the buck. What about Grado's?

Hi

The three best places to get a new pair of cans in BKK:

1. http://www.munkonggadget.com/ (Probably the shop previous posts mentioned at Panthip Plaza, got more shops around town)

2. http://www.sanookgadget.com/ Got a few shops, like downstairs at Central Lad Prao

3. http://www.proplugin.com/ More into upmarket Studio production and live gear, but got a great selection of headphones.

Don't forget to get a good headphone amp... If you don't want to spend too much Fiio just released the E7. It sounds fantastic for under 3000baht.

Got a DAC built in as well, so you can use it with your computer.

Good luck.

If you're in that market you need to consider some Grado and Beyers too. I loved my Beyer's until I got a pair of Stax electrostatics....which sounded as if I had no headphones on at all. Great if you only plan on listening at home (they need a power supply and plug straight into the amp), but otherwise problematic.

Hi

The three best places to get a new pair of cans in BKK:

1. http://www.munkonggadget.com/ (Probably the shop previous posts mentioned at Panthip Plaza, got more shops around town)

2. http://www.sanookgadget.com/ Got a few shops, like downstairs at Central Lad Prao

3. http://www.proplugin.com/ More into upmarket Studio production and live gear, but got a great selection of headphones.

Don't forget to get a good headphone amp... If you don't want to spend too much Fiio just released the E7. It sounds fantastic for under 3000baht.

Got a DAC built in as well, so you can use it with your computer.

Good luck.

I can vouch for sanookgadget. Bought a fine pair of Shure SRH440s from them, good service, no problems. If you order online in Thailand, though, you'd better call or email the company first because they don't actually have half of what they show on the website--and they can't get it either.

Also, compare prices w/ USA prices. Some items suffer an extreme price hike in Thailand; but you can usually find something as good at a much more reasonable price w/o such a high markup.

I saw munkonggadget in Panthip and they had some good stuff. Thinking about getting a Cowon player from there . . . .

Edited by JSixpack

• 2 months later...

Wow, thanks so much for the numerous replies! I must embarrassingly admit that I sort of forgot that I made this thread. I'm going to be checking out the store in Panthip. I'm pretty sure I want to get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, though I didn't manage to find them on those websites. But as has been said, I'll make my final decision when I get to test those and a few others.

Again, many thanks for the numerous thorough and helpful responses!

• 2 weeks later...

I just found another shop that ONLY sells headphones...and good ones. Some quite expensive ones in there including Stax and Grado. It's on the 2nd floor of Exchange Tower...linked to the BTS Asok station. Go into Exchange from the station and go right to the back just beyond the restaurants and there is it. A very cool little shop indeed!

• 4 weeks later...

I just found another shop that ONLY sells headphones...and good ones. Some quite expensive ones in there including Stax and Grado. It's on the 2nd floor of Exchange Tower...linked to the BTS Asok station. Go into Exchange from the station and go right to the back just beyond the restaurants and there is it. A very cool little shop indeed!

That's the store named Jet Live Audio or you can look at their website www.jetliveaudio.com. I've been there once and that was indeed good headphone shop. The owner was nice and he knew a lot about his stuffs. I think they have most headphone demos in Thailand from entry level to very high end headphones included ATH-M50 that dttk0009 was looking for.

Edited by bangkok10

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Grado's 225 from Mungkon at Panthip . Cheaper then european prices for a Grado and all models are there for listening . Small shop but friendly guys and real hififreaks . Last time my Ultimate Ears were broken ( connector break ) and they fixed it in 20 mins .