Learning The Thai Language

professor

Any recommendation for good Thai courses?

I want to learn thai not just to daily conversational level. I want to learn it to high school standard for the purpose of academic communication.

Thammasat has a 45-week intensive course which is quite expensive. Any alternative in BKK? Any distance learning course?

wow, 45 weeks? how much is expensive?? how intensive is it? I mean, my idea of intensive would be 6-8 weeks, not 45! there are courses on the internet, don't know how good they are. alternatively you could try hiring a tutor, may be cheaper. check around the unis. could be some poor student would be willing to take you on. don't know, guess it depends on how expensive the thammasat course is.

wow, 45 weeks?

I imagine that's a full academic year, minus the holidays. In my opinion you won't get to high school standard (or anywhere near it) after just 45 weeks, no matter how intensive it is.

A tutor would be cheaper, but probably more erratic (less ''structured'', as they say these days).

Still, I am sure a university course is better than any private language school course.

If Pat (Dr Patpong) has heard positive things about the university courses then I am sure he is right.

By the way: I hope as a ''professor'' you haven't forgotten how to laugh at your mistakes. That's an essential prerequisite for learning a language.

Good luck.