Howies Homemade Brand Pickled Onions

mallmagician

Just for you foodies. Wife brought me home a jar of Howies Pickled Onions, as I had a craving for them (Pickled Onions).

In my part of the world (England), a Pickled Onion is usually still crispy and crunchy, and takes on the Pickling spices well.

I opened up the jar, and the smell was just right. But the Onions were flacid. Almost like they had been boiled before pickling.

Have I got a dodgy jar of them (The top did Pop when I opened it), or are they always like that from the Howies brand?

Any reccomendations on the right brand to get?

Thanks

Phil

Phil:<BR><BR>I have sold Howie's products in the past until we started making our own dill pickles and sourkraut. I suspect that the onions were blanched to keep them from going off. I have not bottled any onions but will try doing some in Chaing Rai where my vegetable processing plant is.<BR><BR>Don Battles<BR>Don's Foods Co. LTD<BR>[email protected]

I have found with Howies pickled onions that fresh out the jar they are flaccid.

I have found over the years that if you leave them in a cupboard for 3 months, they crisp up.

I by a few jars in October and keep them until xmas when they are nice and crunchy.

make your own, then you will never be disappointed..

Lobin did you buy those jars locally?

Easy to make; wash and clean (~1kg) onions removing skins (important don't handle them with you hands), place in a sealable container (I use plastic), tablespoon of rimping's pickling spice, half cup rock salt (handful, I was taught to cook with out measuring much at all; remember let ratio's and your ingredients decide), half kilo of dill (rimping) that's received a good cleaning and trimming, just less than half cup of cleaned garlic cloves - a small handfull(love the cheapness, flavor and availability of that here), 3-5 bay leaves (how smelly decides how many), leave at room temp for 4-5 days, remove the gralic and dill, place in fridge afterwards, I find the crispness takes a week or so to develop.

make your own, then you will never be disappointed..

Lobin did you buy those jars locally?

Easy to make; wash and clean (~1kg) onions removing skins (important don't handle them with you hands), place in a sealable container (I use plastic), tablespoon of rimping's pickling spice, half cup rock salt (handful, I was taught to cook with out measuring much at all; remember let ratio's and your ingredients decide), half kilo of dill (rimping) that's received a good cleaning and trimming, just less than half cup of cleaned garlic cloves - a small handfull(love the cheapness, flavor and availability of that here), 3-5 bay leaves (how smelly decides how many), leave at room temp for 4-5 days, remove the gralic and dill, place in fridge afterwards, I find the crispness takes a week or so to develop.

We use Howies pickled onions in our Ploughman's Lunch. They're not bad but I agree with the OP they could be crisper. Thanks for the recipe fishenough, may try our own. We tried making our own chutney a couple of years ago when Fountains the Aussie firm pulled out and most people said ours was better! you can't beat home made!