How Do You Spell Pride

di99

which is correct, how do you spell pride in thai? got so many different spellings when i typed it into translator..

noun

• ความภาคภูมิใจ
  • ความภูมิใจ
  • ความหยิ่ง
  • ความภาคภูมิ
  • ความยโส
  • ทิฐิมานะ
  • อหังการ
  • มาน
  • ความทระนง

I believe the most common usage in speech would be ความภูมิใจ

However, if you are writing something where you need to get the register correct (like an official letter of some sort), I think you're going to need a native speaker's advice about what best fits the context given the relationship between reader and audience, and the purpose of the letter/text.

Some comments on the list your dictionary gave you. Keep in mind that many of these appear as as verbs or adjectives (without ความ) as often or more often than as nouns.

"good" pride

ความภาคภูมิใจ - a feeling of satisfaction at something

ความภูมิใจ - same as ความภาคภูมิใจ

ความภาคภูมิ - same as ความภาคภูมิใจ

"bad" pride

ความหยิ่ง - a sense of self-importance, arrogance, conceit

ความยโส - same as หยิ่ง, often paired together as หยิ่งยโส

ความทระนง - more commonly ความทะนง or ความทะนงตน; written more than spoken

ทิฐิมานะ - an elegant term, uncommon; has negative and/or religious connotations, i.e. something a good Buddhist should seek to eradicate

อหังการ - a literary term, not very common

มาน - this form is extremely uncommon; the more common form is มานะ, but used on its own it most often means 'perseverance' (but also paired with ทิฐิมานะ as above)

These comments reflect only my understanding of the terms. Comments welcomed.

This thread, (along with the other one of yours on how to spell your name in thai) as well as the one you made in the pinned 'thai tattoo thread' shows exactly why it is fraught with peril to want to ink something written in thai on your skin. Something which may or may NOT have the desired outcome when read by native readers/speakers of thai.

MANY conceptual things in engrish do NOT lend themselves to being translated succinctly into thai, and a word by word translation, more times than not, comes out as totally nonsensical.

I only mention this anecdote, as I observed the guy once again the other day at the Tops Market Food Court under Robinsons on Sukhumvit Road;

Several months ago, I happened upon a foreigner who had BOTH forearms covered in thai script. They could ONLY be described as 'works-in-progress". He had line after line of centimeter tall thai script which nearly covered his forearms. One side had the script almost totally inked in, but the other side had about half, and the outlines only of the rest of the planned dissertation on who knows what..

FWIW: I sat near him and his thai significant other (or as close as I dared, given his demeanor) and pondered the script which I could make out. I even asking two thais I was with, what they made of it. NONE of us had a frickin' clue what it said, although we made out quite a few thai words, they were just like I said before, GIBBERISH, no meaning in either back translated into engrish or in thai.

Putting your name and what ever thai word for 'pride' you decide on, will have ZERO meaning to any thai, even thais which populate the foreign dominated bar scene are unlikely to pick any meaning out of it without a lengthy discussion on your part. This can and does make a tattoo you think is interesting lose its ‘bang-4-the-baht’ quite quickly.

My advice for ANYONE contemplating a 'thai tattoo';

If you're getting ANYTHING other than traditional 'candelabra', or 'jewish menorah' looking buddhist one (which BTW; has Khmer script), show as MANY native speakers as you can the script of what you want to get. Ask them what it means to them. NOT what it says, but what they think it means (Totally different animals here). Also don't "lead them by the nose" (จูงจมูก) or let them tell you what you want to hear. It is my observation; thais are FAMOUS for their ability to give you the answer you want, rather than offer an opinion which might not be what you want to hear; whether it's the truth or not in any given situation.

Once you get the answers to these questions, you've at least 'vetted' the tattoo as best you can.

I have seen ALL too many foreigners here walking around with totally nonsensical tattoos inked onto various parts of their bodies. I have also seen the all too common ones are where a person tattoos their name in thai on their upper-arm or forearm. Quite useful ONLY if your arm is severed and someone wants to know who it belongs to I guess, but otherwise, ummmm not so much. :blink: ..

Take TIME, there's no reason to rush something that may be on your skin for a very long time. Then again, if you're a tourist here and due to head home soon, you can get just about anything in thai, as so few people in your country will be able to read it that it won't make a bit of difference. ;)

As an aside;

I always thought something along these lines was quite catchy (and looks interesting too in a fancy font);

ไอ-เอ็ม-เอ-รีทาร์ด. .. So far, I haven't seen it, but who knows, it could catch on.

P/S: for the love of pete; DON'T get my suggestion as it says, "I AM A RETARD", written in thai.

Almost every thai will pronounce the engrish sentence pretty darned close, (certainly close enough for any native engrish speaker to understand what they just said) :D .