Talk Me Into Apple

KRS1

I'm amazed with the way it installs programs so quicly

The first thing you have to do is remember that with a Mac, they are "Applications", not "Programs" ;)

I don't profess to be an expert on Mac's but a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable says that applications in a Mac are stand alone "programs" they do not get into the registry like a PC does, so if you no longer want a particular application, you simply drag it to the trash......no un-install necessary and no unwanted files clogging up the system.

That is why after a year and opening many different applications and then later deleting them, my Mac is running just as fast as when it was new. When I was a pc user, every year or so I would have to format the hd and re-install the windows os to get it running smoothly again.

To be fair to MS they are in a situation where they are building an OS for a zillion different hardware manufactures and configurations.

Sort of like buying a Toyota with a Nissan engine.....

Mac builds the hardware and the OS so they know it will work together.

4 days ago i bought a new mac book pro,it's the first time ive ever used a mac.So far apart from still learning how to use it after using windows for years

I was the same as you, I found the videos on the Apple site were a huge help in making the conversion.....

Edited by CDNinKS

• 2 weeks later...

One minor thing I just found out about Macs. You can not use a regular headset with the normal 3.5 mm plugs. The Mic Input is high level (line) and a normal Mic that works with a normal windows machine does not have enough output for the Macs. The only solution (besides adding an amplifier to your Mic) is to buy a USB headset. Don't know what User Testing Apple did on this, but it makes the Mic input pretty useless. Bought two headsets before I researched and found this little tid bit. Still love the Macs though. Set up on a new machine was about ten minutes. Excluding the Microphone Input hassle that is.

One minor thing I just found out about Macs. You can not use a regular headset with the normal 3.5 mm plugs.

I assume you are referring to the Mac mini, as this is indeed the case. However, the Macbooks can use any 3.5 mm headset/earbuds.

One minor thing I just found out about Macs. You can not use a regular headset with the normal 3.5 mm plugs.

I assume you are referring to the Mac mini, as this is indeed the case. However, the Macbooks can use any 3.5 mm headset/earbuds.

Not my 5 year old MacBook. Sounds like they must have changed it recently.

OK, my mistake. You are referring to a mic, I was talking about headphones. I use earbuds with my MacBook and the internal mic for Skype, etc. So I suppose that you are correct that if you want to use a headset mounted mic then a USB version is the only thing that works since a MacBook does not have a mic jack.

OK, my mistake. You are referring to a mic, I was talking about headphones. I use earbuds with my MacBook and the internal mic for Skype, etc. So I suppose that you are correct that if you want to use a headset mounted mic then a USB version is the only thing that works since a MacBook does not have a mic jack.

You are right.. The earphones work fine. Don't know what Apple was thinking on the Mic Input. Took a while to find out this information and the newly bought USB headset works fine. They are a bit harder to find in Thailand.

For me, apart from the fact that my screen just died, the software just works and has lots of lots of little options that just make sense. Like when you take a screen shot, you have the option of the whole screen or just what you select. Or F3 which shows all open windows at once. Or being able to just close the lid and then open it up and start working rigth away. No long start up and shut down. Or plugging in a camera or printer and using the device right away. Mo more searching for drivers... The search function is unbelievable. You can find anything on your computer as you type in real time. And on and on.