Why Do Thai Wives Learn English

mpdkorat

"""" My wife would disagree with you on that one. She has told me that many Thai's do not like Falangs who know too much about anything, not just the language. You could be talking about car mechanics, farming, breeding dogs, anything really and when you display a superior knowledge to them they back off and do not want to know any more.

I have seen this once or twice but know it does not apply to most.""""

I have seen that too. I was sitting in a training meeting with some Thai, Americans and Chinese. The spoken language at the metting was English. The Thais would deny any translation assistance, and did not learn squat in the meeting because they were too busy trying to act as though they had a command of the English language, when is was obvious they had no clue. They were offered a translator, but denied it. The translator was Thai, she had recieved a B.A. in English in Thailand, lived in America for 5 years, and had recieved a M.S. in America. She was flown in from America specifically to translate for that meeting!

The Chinese would ask for translation assistance when needed, but the Thais... they would get offended if anyone would try to help them. Weird....

The meeting was a complete failure, waste of time and money.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recette_thai_somtam.jpg

Yum, that looks good! What is it? :D

Som tam (Thai/Isan ส้มตำ) is a spicy papaya salad originating in Laos and the Isan region of Thailand. Som (ส้ม) in Isan and Lao is sour, and tam (ตำ) means pounded. It is also sometimes written as som tum, som dtam or som dtum. Other names for the dish are papaya pok pok (from the sound produced when preparing the dish in a mortar),

Bambi :D (som tam with 1 prick.....ewwww i mean chilli!!)

chilli-space.jpg Prick :o

Edited by BambinA

recette_thai_somtam.jpg

Yum, that looks good! What is it? :D

Som tam (Thai/Isan ส้มตำ) is a spicy papaya salad originating in Laos and the Isan region of Thailand. Som (ส้ม) in Isan and Lao is sour, and tam (ตำ) means pounded. It is also sometimes written as som tum, som dtam or som dtum. Other names for the dish are papaya pok pok (from the sound produced when preparing the dish in a mortar),

Bambi :D (som tam with 1 prick.....ewwww i mean chilli!!)

chilli-space.jpg Prick :o

That is a shame, well I hope papaya is better in Thailand than here in the states. I have tried papaya here and was felt feeling like I had chewed on sweaty gym socks. :D

My father-in-law loves papaya, like my sister-in-law, but thankfully my wife and mother -in-law hate it, so I don't get teased for being a picky farang. :D