Found Money

alobar

If you were walking through, say the Panthip dining area or on the street by a vendor, and spotted a hundred baht note (or larger- would it make a difference?), would you pick it up and 'offer' it to the nearest person/cashier who might have dropped it, or would you pocket it?

In the west I would palm it without hesitation, unless it was obviously just out of someone's purse or pocket, but feel less inclined to do that in a land where the wealth paradigm, as far as I am concerned is more skewed in general.

I suppose If I were in the lobby of the Oriental and I spotted an errant 1000B note, I would have less compunction about making it my own.

In Thailand if I found some money dropped in a public place, it would depend on the circumstances whether or not I handed it in.

For example, if the money was in a wallet or an envelope with the person`s details inside, I would 100% find the owner myself and return the money with any other personal effects that was in the wallet.

Now, if the money was loose with no information about the owner, that would be another kettle of fish. I would never hand it in, because the odds are that whoever I handed in to would keep the money themselves.

If I found a lot of money complete with the owners details, I would ask for a some reward to return it. Why? Because some people can be absolute pigs and not say thank you or show any appreciation. This has happened to me in the past.

• Like 1

Last year my wife and I drove on a motorbike from the north of Koh Samui to Chaweng beach at 11pm. A couple of miles before Chaweng Beach there's a 7-Eleven, a restaurant and a bar on the right hand side. 200 yards after the 7-Eleven my wife spots money in the middle of the street and asks me to stop. When we got off the bike we realised there was money everywhere. Thousand baht notes was lying in the street, in the ditch and in the bushes on the other side. Money everywhere!! Took us ten minutes to run around like two chickens and pick them all up.

Now here's the thing: we discussed what to do with the money and how to return it to the owner, and after spending a week trying to find out if someone was missing a large sum (we failed) we agreed we couldn't keep it. I failed to find a suitable charity organisation on Samui so we gave the money to one of the local temples. There was absolutely no way that my wife was going to keep the money, she was more or less terrified by only keeping it in the safe for a couple of days.

I still wonder where that money came from...

Last year my wife and I drove on a motorbike from the north of Koh Samui to Chaweng beach at 11pm. A couple of miles before Chaweng Beach there's a 7-Eleven, a restaurant and a bar on the right hand side. 200 yards after the 7-Eleven my wife spots money in the middle of the street and asks me to stop. When we got off the bike we realised there was money everywhere. Thousand baht notes was lying in the street, in the ditch and in the bushes on the other side. Money everywhere!! Took us ten minutes to run around like two chickens and pick them all up.

Now here's the thing: we discussed what to do with the money and how to return it to the owner, and after spending a week trying to find out if someone was missing a large sum (we failed) we agreed we couldn't keep it. I failed to find a suitable charity organisation on Samui so we gave the money to one of the local temples. There was absolutely no way that my wife was going to keep the money, she was more or less terrified by only keeping it in the safe for a couple of days.

It's a karma thing, Thais shun the idea of picking up and keeping money, even a 1 baht coin. Unless they're thieves and then they worry about karma in their next lives :-)

It's a karma thing, Thais shun the idea of picking up and keeping money, even a 1 baht coin. Unless they're thieves and then they worry about karma in their next lives :-)

karma sharma. im a good tipper-barkeeps have no problem of moving into another girls territory to get me my drink, hoping 4 my tip. what i do on occasion is just give the tip to the girls who is supposed to serve me. the majority of thais dont care about common decency to their fellow worker.

Shoud this happen gainplease contact me will forward you my address.

Many times I've found small amounts... $1 to $20, but with no one around who looked like the likely owner I've kept it. However, twice I've found envelopes with large amounts (once $8000 and once $12,000) in bills and negotiable bonds) Fortunately, there were bank statements in the envelope and I was able to return the money to the rightful owner. There was a time as a teenager I would have kept the money, but I changed my ways when I was given a second chance on another matter. I vowed at that time I would be honest in everything I said or did from that moment on.

Before coming to live here I worked in London UK. populated by the most ignorant people in the world. Travelling to work on the bus, tube or train was always the same. Full of people who had their Ipods on and just ignored any conversation or eye contact.

I can remember getting on a bus after a guy and as he puled his bus pass out of his back pocket he also pulled out a fifty pound note, 2,500 baht or thereabouts. He swiped his card and proceeded down the bus. I picked up the money and said several times " excuse me mate " Only to be totally ignored, No ipod for a change. When he sat down I walked up to him showed the note to him and said " this isn't yours then, so must be mine " and walked off and sat down.

He paid for a very nice Thai meal that night for me and a friend

Sometimes trying to do the right thing doesn't work. :D

Not my wife. She'll run out in the middle of traffic on the expressway to pick up a 25 satang coin. Don't know which Thais you've been hanging out with, but she considers finding money extremely lucky.

If she ever found a bag of thousand baht notes it would go straight into her bank account without hesitation, not to mention bragging to all her friends about her good fortune. Very strange some of the stories I hear on this site.

Not my wife. She'll run out in the middle of traffic on the expressway to pick up a 25 satang coin. Don't know which Thais you've been hanging out with, but she considers finding money extremely lucky.

If she ever found a bag of thousand baht notes it would go straight into her bank account without hesitation, not to mention bragging to all her friends about her good fortune. Very strange some of the stories I hear on this site.

Yep totally agree.

My wife as well.

If I tell her she is cheap, she just laughs loud, and agree.

She is proud of it.

Makes her feel responsible in life.

In the UK if you hand in "found" items to the police they will

be returned to you if not claimed within 3 months............

1. Money is hard to identify.

2. Does the Thai police have the same procedure. :whistling:

I suspect that if the Thai police did have such a policy you would find that 100% of all items turned in would be claimed by their 'rightful owner'.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I suspect that if the Thai police did have such a policy you would find that 100% of all items turned in would be claimed by their 'rightful owner'.

Why burden the police and thus the taxpayer with such tedious task of finding the rightful owner of unmarked property?

Seriously... the bigger the sum the more likely I would keep it.

I'd probably search for the owner of sums up to 20.000 baht, because that means a lot to small people.

whereas one million...

Well, I guess there are honest and dishonest Thais just as there are honest and dishonest Farangs. Needless to say, I dont know which Thais YOU have been hanging out with, but judging from your statement above I get a feeling which of the two categories you and your ilk belong - but I struggle to understand why someone would want to brag about it, this is usually the kind of thing others find a bit embarrassing. :D

Well, I guess there are honest and dishonest Thais just as there are honest and dishonest Farangs. Needless to say, I dont know which Thais YOU have been hanging out with, but judging from your statement above I get a feeling which of the two categories you and your ilk belong - but I struggle to understand why someone would want to brag about it, this is usually the kind of thing others find a bit embarrassing. :D

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the nearly proud replies too. I'd prefer to boast about someone who'd try to return something they found rather than keep it. I can just imagine what they're like.

FWIW, I dropped my wallet in the street in HK about 10 years ago, while running to my apartment building to avoid the rain. ~18,000 HK$ inside - about 100,000 baht at the time. 2 hours later I got a call from my bank - someone had handed it in to the police, on the other side of town, and the police had contacted my bank due to my credit card being inside. I'd already cancelled my cards, but when I went to collect it, all the money was still there !

It's a karma thing,

Sounds like an expert. :rolleyes:

Thais shun the idea of picking up and keeping money,

Nonsense.

A thai finding a note on the pavement will consider it such good luck that they'd probably write down the serial number on it and buy 10 lottery tickets.

even a 1 baht coin.

Bizarre that you say 'even'. Everyone here knows how Thais feel about 1 baht coins - you want to insult someone, give them a one baht tip. Guess you just don't know that much about Thailand.

Even if your change is 19 one baht coins, you don't give it as a tip, unless you really want to insult the Thai.

:jap:

Edited by thomo

Even if your change is 19 one baht coins, you don't give it as a tip, unless you really want to insult the Thai.

Give a 19 baht tip...!? Have you lost it completely? The first 15 of them make up payment for my daily dose of Roti..!! :D

Motnhs ago, I was walking behind a woman who had purchased a cup of coffee. As she walked away, she dropped several 20THB notes. One cycle taxi driver and a street vendor noticed the money...both eyeing the bills, and not saying a word. I picked up the money, and both of them started yelling and pointing their fingers at me. The woman turned around and asked for her money. I asked her how much she dropped. "Three 20THB notes." She was right, and I handed the money to her. Of course, the cycle driver and vendor were unhappy about the whole thing.

Honest and dishonest Thais?

:cheesy:

A Thai whom told his/her friends the he/she delivered in a 1000 Baht note to the police station (or a reception somewhere) would be looked upon....how shall we put it? Kind but extremely stupid.

Nothing else.

Religion is taking the back seat to Sex and Money here, just as it does everywhere else in the world.

So the carma crap, is just good stuff when it is convenient.

Picking up a coin is considered as good luck everywhere in the world.

Oh yes, I know, some of you would of course go to the Police station with a dime, as you are so honest.

And it would be good carma.

It's a karma thing,

Nonsense.

A thai finding a note on the pavement will consider it such good luck that they'd probably write down the serial number on it and buy 10 lottery tickets.

even a 1 baht coin.

Bizarre that you say 'even'. Everyone here knows how Thais feel about 1 baht coins - you want to insult someone, give them a one baht tip. Guess you just don't know that much about Thailand.

Edited by Tonto21

It's a karma thing,

Nonsense.

even a 1 baht coin.

Oh my! We don't want to upset the Thai's and their delicate sensibilities do we? To hear some Thai's talk, you'd think they had attained perfect enlightenment. IMHO some of the biggest hypocrites in this world are Thais, One minute you're being chastised by some Thai for being insensitive to Thai culture, only to watch the same Thai person carry out the same "insensitive" act. This whole attitude by some people; "Don't upset the Thai's" is total pathetic and only fuels some Thai peoples chidish actions in dealing with westerners.

There's a good chance you've just paid over the odds for whatever service you've had…………….and I'm insulting him, for leaving money…………How does that work?

Finding money? If I saw who dropped it, sure I'd give it to back, same as being given too much change in a shop, I won't try or knowingly rip anyone.

Edited by Tonto21

A Thai whom told his/her friends the he/she delivered in a 1000 Baht note to the police station (or a reception somewhere) would be looked upon....how shall we put it? Kind but extremely stupid.

Nothing else.

What an utter bunch of horses arse from Peddle the Peddlist...

Pardon my French, but I think you may have wondered a little bit above your ability to argue and debate, your latest contribution actually makes George Bush look like he's exceptionally sharp.

Perhaps the average Farang opinion of Thais and honesty is somehow distorted by socializing with nothing but prostitutes and scam artists (statisticly speaking)? I'm confident all of them would agree with you. I guess we can call you soul mates then, can we?

For your information, there are plenty of both honest and honorable Thais. I can’t find an explanation to your statements other than grievance over a missed opportunity to pocket something that isn’t yours. If you want to referr to someone opposing your apparently skewed perception of honesty as being stupid, fine – but we both know you’re dead wrong, don’t we.

:lol:

PS.

Last Saturday there was a message on the SIAM Paragon PA. Someone had handed in a lost wallet and the owner was asked to contact the information on ground floor.

I'm sure the owner of the wallet agreed with you :jerk:

DS.

"Don't upset the Thai's" i[/size]s total pathetic and only fuels some Thai peoples chidish actions in dealing with westerners.

There's a good chance you've just paid over the odds for whatever service you've had…………….and I'm insulting him, for leaving money…………How does that work?

Begins working when one frees oneself from one's arrogance and simplistic cultural ignorance.

Unfortunately for many this doesn't happen before their cultural ignorance results in Thailand chewing them up and spitting them out for breakfast.

Is that right “Grasshopper”

Of course you think your above being chewed up “Oh perfect enlightenment one”

Sorry thomo, but for all your “High brow” bull how do you manage to maintain the lotus position and be so full of it? It would seem your cultural knowledge of Thailand so far is all about how not to upset the Thais! I do wonder just how chapped your lips are from all that ass-kissing you must do. Maybe you could explain how to act, when being the victim to that lovely Thai custom of “fleece the farang” do you still go out of your way not to upset or allow loss of face to them?

Nothing else.

What an utter bunch of horses arse from Peddle the Peddlist...

Pardon my French, but I think you may have wondered a little bit above your ability to argue and debate, your latest contribution actually makes George Bush look like he's exceptionally sharp.

Perhaps the average Farang opinion of Thais and honesty is somehow distorted by socializing with nothing but prostitutes and scam artists (statisticly speaking)? I'm confident all of them would agree with you. I guess we can call you soul mates then, can we?

For your information, there are plenty of both honest and honorable Thais. I can’t find an explanation to your statements other than grievance over a missed opportunity to pocket something that isn’t yours. If you want to referr to someone opposing your apparently skewed perception of honesty as being stupid, fine – but we both know you’re dead wrong, don’t we.

:lol:

PS.

Last Saturday there was a message on the SIAM Paragon PA. Someone had handed in a lost wallet and the owner was asked to contact the information on ground floor.

DS.

You are Pardoned Big Boy.

:)

I have to give it to you Big boy, you are very good with words.

But I learned the other day that rambling out bad words and phrases doesnt exactly make you good in debate Big boy.

At least dont bring in G. Bush (he doesnt know where Thailand is), the prostitutes and scam artists in the picture. Nothing to do with picking up money from the street.

So tell me Big Boy, do you really believe many people, anywhere in the world, would go to the Police station if they found a 1000 Baht, or a 15 Dollar/Pound, etc, on the street?

Do you Big Boy, really believe the money would end up in the rightful owners pocket again?

My remark about the honest and dishonest Thais, was in fact that I dont see anything dishonest about pocketing a note or coin one find on the street.

Of course, if one know who the owner is, that is an entire new ball game, but the thread was about finding the money (100-1000 Baht) on the street, and NOT wallets or bags with 100 000 Dollars.

Finally Big boy.

Go through some of my posts, and I think you will find that I believe the absolute vast majority of Thais are honest decent people.

I urge you to take a few minutes to do that.

:)

PS.

DS.

hmmm my wife accidently paid a taxi driver 1100 baht for a 200 baht drive.. she mixed the bills up. She found out today.. taxi driver never mentioned it.

Im sure i can find something bad for everything you can find.

PS.

DS.

hmmm my wife accidently paid a taxi driver 1100 baht for a 200 baht drive.. she mixed the bills up. She found out today.. taxi driver never mentioned it.

Im sure i can find something bad for everything you can find.

Just for the record.

In this case I think the driver should have given her the money back, since he knew who the money belonged to.

This is stealing.