Getting A New Uk Passport From Bangkok

Hello All

My UK passport is full and I have a Non-Immigrant O visa which expires February next year.

I'm going to send it to the UK consulate in Bangkok and get a new UK passport.

I'll have to carry both old and new passports to show my visa when moving around.

HAVE I GOT THIS RIGHT?

How long does it take for them to send you a new one - can the process be speede up by taking it in person?

Many thanks to anyone who knows about this

and regards to all on here

LL

The British Embassy in Bangkok no longer handle applications for the renewal of passport applications, you need to apply directly to Hong Kong. There have been a number of topics on this subject, please note that from Thailand you only send a copy of your passports bio page to Hong Kong, not the original passport.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

I know that if you have permission to stay in Thailand an Immigration office will transfer it from your old passport to your new one though I'm not sure if this is the case with visa's.

I have the same problem and went to the British embassy to find out the best way forward. I discovered that all British passports, not renewed in the UK, are now renewed via the British Embassy in Hong Kong. All the British Embassy in Bangkok do is forward the Passport on and return it to you assuming you have enclosed a prepayed envelope. It is much faster to send your passport directly to Hong Kong, the address of which is on the web site (I think). A deal has been done with Fed Ex where you pay around 980 baht for them to send and return your passport to Hong Kong. A time period of 4 weeks is quoted for reissue of passports and 6 weeks for new passports. As you have to send your old passport I suggest you retain photocopies of the relevant pages including your visa while your passport is being processed. When you receive your new passport you should go to immigration and get your visa transferred to your new passport (this is free of charge). You are then meant to cut the corner off your old passport so that it is invalidated. Don't ask me why the British government are doing this but you can be sure it is not to help us. If you have an emergency while your passport is being processed you can obtain an emergency one on the day by going to the British embassy in Bangkok. Good luck.

The British Embassy in Bangkok no longer handle applications for the renewal of passport applications, you need to apply directly to Hong Kong. There have been a number of topics on this subject, please note that from Thailand you only send a copy of your passports bio page to Hong Kong, not the original passport.

http://ukinthailand....nals/passports/

I know that if you have permission to stay in Thailand an Immigration office will transfer it from your old passport to your new one though I'm not sure if this is the case with visa's.

I didn't know that you only have to send a copy of passports bio page. Many thanks for that info as will simplify the visa issue here in Thailand.

Cheers.