Look Between Your Legs To See Ghosts?

farangnahrak

You know that belief that if you look between your legs you can see ghosts? What is that called in Thai?

- ถ้าก้มมองลอดใต้หว่างขา คุณจะเห็นผี

You know that belief that if you look between your legs you can see ghosts? What is that called in Thai?

I am trying to work out what this means is it any of these; ' If you try hard you can find what you don't want/ Effort brings reward/ do something unnaturally brings unnatural results?

I am trying to work out what this means is it any of these; ' If you try hard you can find what you don't want/ Effort brings reward/ do something unnaturally brings unnatural results?

Its not an idiom - this should be taken literally. Many Thais actually believe this, and you'll see it in ghost movies occasionally.

Personally, I think it's the Thai way of saying 'go get me a left handed screwdriver' to someone that doesn't know better.

Its not an idiom - this should be taken literally.

Personally, I think it's the Thai way of saying 'go get me a left handed screwdriver' to someone that doesn't know better.

Idiom or not from experience I can tell you that it is not true!

Perhaps . . . unless you are haunted by a คัณฑมาลา (don't bother memorizing that word, as most Thai people don't know it).

This type of ghost sits on your shoulders, so if you look between your legs, you won't be able to see it.

The only way you'll know is you'll suddenly start gaining weight fast and feeling back/neck pain.

Are you overweight and feeling back/neck pain? whistling.gif

And yes, theres been a few Thai movies with this ghost too, and its always some crazy female ghost with long black hair . . . why are Thai ghosts almost always women with neck issues, anyway? whistling.gif

What do you mean? There is no left handed screwdriver???

Darn! My search has been in vain. :lol:

Perhaps . . . unless you are haunted by a คัณฑมาลา (don't bother memorizing that word, as most Thai people don't know it).

This type of ghost sits on your shoulders, so if you look between your legs, you won't be able to see it.

The only way you'll know is you'll suddenly start gaining weight fast and feeling back/neck pain.

Are you overweight and feeling back/neck pain? whistling.gif

And yes, theres been a few Thai movies with this ghost too, and its always some crazy female ghost with long black hair . . . why are Thai ghosts almost always women with neck issues, anyway? whistling.gif

I did some search and คัณฑมาลา abscess in the neck or ฝี in Thai. Are you sure there is no confusion between ฝี and ผี here?

ฝีคัณฑมาลา (ฝีคันทะมาลา)

คำแปล

n. abscess of the glands of the neck

I did some search and คัณฑมาลา abscess in the neck or ฝี in Thai. Are you sure there is no confusion between ฝี and ผี here?

ฝีคัณฑมาลา (ฝีคันทะมาลา)

คำแปล

n. abscess of the glands of the neck

hmmmm embarrassing . . .

I re-went through this book I was reading, and found it says "ฝีที่ขึ้นเป็นแถวที่คอ" . . . I usually read on my morning commute, and I guess my eyes were just out of focus enough to see ผี instead of ฝี . . . lol.

That said, this type of ghost I guess doesn't have a name . . . or at least I couldn't find it:

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/รายชื่อผีไทย

The last ghost name was hilarious: ผีทะเล - เจอทั่วไปในประเทศไทย

(fyi its an idiom for pervert)

FWIW; (which might be nothing :lol: ) thais are deadly serious about the bend over, look between your legs and see ghosts dealy!

I asked the thai guys I drink with out on the soi. As I've said before they're middle aged (40-47 y/o) middle class working stiffs who have great jobs at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel. To a person they said, NEVER EVER do that :o !!!

I mean the warnings I got from them were so severe I actually apologized to them for asking such a stupid question :blink: . They thought my question was just too stupid even for a foreigner to ask. They all said, "That is the way you can see ghosts 100%."

Take it for what you will, but if these middle aged guys believe it, I imagine EVERY thai in this country believes it too! :P

As an aside, and just to show you HOW prevalent the belief in ghosts are here in thailand; here is a Sylvania light bulb commercial which goes over some of the more ‘famous’ thai ghosts. (Including the infamous ผีขนุน or "Jackfruit Ghost", lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mqTwfUwnU

I asked my missus about this. She's a pretty smart lady - but she (along with most other Thais) believes this nonsense, in a literal sense... TIT...

I guess if she can't do it, it's down to me to do the looking between her legs. Oh well... tough work, but somebody's got to do it! :ph34r: