Tourists Targeted For Dropping Litter

Xircal

no sympathy for smokers whatsoever....I think they should all be made to buy a smoking permit at 10,000 baht/year for locals or tourists 10,000 baht per entry into Thailand......anyone without a permit gets fined 100,000 baht ......use the fees to help build schools and other infrastructure

Yep. Then we will need to initiate an alcohol permit, a sugary food or beverage permit, a fatty foods permit, a foul smelling food permit, a 'gassy' food permit, and what the heck we should charge 100,000 per instance for anyone using any form of motorized transport.

Or even a permit for sex, perhaps compulsory for tourists & non-residents, available in books of five at Arrivals - penalty for not having one, say Baht 5,000, watch the balance of payments soar and Thai GDP overtake China in a few short months.

hows about an Farang OAP Marriage tax.....two thousand baht for every year of age difference between the Farang OAP and his Thai wife ?...:whistling:

I'm fine with that, just as long as it also works in reverse and the Farang receives payment where the Thai partner is older. Umm, but wait, wasn't this thread about litter?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the Op

It seems they deliberately target tourists dishing out maximum fines of 2,000 Baht if you happen to drop a fag in the gutter, yet ignore any Thais who do the same thing.

You missed the point. The point being is that it is their country (yet ignore any Thais ) and not the tourists country.:ph34r:

litter bins were REMOVED. Now why would anyone do that unless to ensure a steady supply of victims for extortion?

Terrorists like bins for bomb placement. It's been done. OK?

Luckily, they're mostly resourceful chaps who can find a place to "fly-tip" if there is no litter bin around...

"<deleted>, there's no bin, I'll just need to carry it round till I find one or I get home and I can put it in the wheely-bin... tick tick tick..."

"Drop it under that motor; that'll be fine"

"I can't do that - that's littering! and I'll get a two-thousand baht fine.."

"Leave it in the pub, and say you're going to the toilet, then nip out the back"

"But what if someone steals it?"

"Just dump it in the gutter.."

"No, that'll arouse suspicion - an unidentified plastic bag in a bangkok gutter..."

Clear away the bins and tell your grandchildren what you did in the war on terror...

SC

a week ago i was smoking on that skybridge between siam discovery and mbk. one of those guys started following me and eying me. i knew exactly what he wanted. i was smoking right in front of him, and when i was done i pulled out a water bottle, dropped my cig in it, and then gave him a smile and walked away. he wasnt pleased.

a week ago i was smoking on that skybridge between siam discovery and mbk. one of those guys started following me and eying me. i knew exactly what he wanted. i was smoking right in front of him, and when i was done i pulled out a water bottle, dropped my cig in it, and then gave him a smile and walked away. he wasnt pleased.

Your lungs are not pleased either, but you still do it.

Tourists should be fined triple for littering anywhere in the world ........ What kind of jerkoff goes someplace as a guest and dumps his trash on host's lawn. ,,,,, complaining about litterbugs being targeted reminds me of the pot dealer complaining that the crack dealer should have been arrested instead.

Silly man....

The first time I came here 15 years ago, there was a scam where the police had removed all the ashtrays/bins along some shopping streets so they could nab people littering. I smoked back then and had two coppers following me as I slowly walked down a road outside a shopping mall in BKK. Just as I got to the butt, I took out a portable ashtray and stubbed it out (ice little silver shtray it as - that had a click shut lid with a cigartte holder on it too). The two cops laghed and turned about face - I had turned to open te ashtray so I could avoid the traffi billwing ash into my face and also so I could see what they did -I smiled at them in a riendly ay as they noticed what I was doing.

Anyway 13 years since I gave up :)

Silly man....

So you think your lungs should be pleased you're clogging them up with poisonous cancerous sludge ?

Good luck....

Unbelievable..............blink.gif

Edited by sillyman99

Tourists should be fined triple for littering anywhere in the world ........ What kind of jerkoff goes someplace as a guest and dumps his trash on host's lawn. ,,,,, complaining about litterbugs being targeted reminds me of the pot dealer complaining that the crack dealer should have been arrested instead.

Spot on !!

Personally, as a non smoker, I think smokers should be isolated on some far off place where they can pollute each other to their hearts ( and lungs ) content.

I hate it when I'm in a restaurant or bar and some fool lights up a cancer stick ruining everybody else's meal.

Fine them every time they light up, littering or not !! I've got no time at all for smokers, disgusting habit.

Thing is they should both be arrested and that is not happening here. There is a selective targeting of the richer of the two while ignoring the other. That is not upholding the law that is using the law to earn money. But that is the way it is in Thailand.

Thing is they should both be arrested and that is not happening here. There is a selective targeting of the richer of the two while ignoring the other. That is not upholding the law that is using the law to earn money. But that is the way it is in Thailand.

That's the way it is.............. not just in Thailand.............. although perhaps more of the loot makes it to the burn bin in some other places.

My Fiancée works near the Benjasiri Park (often referred to as the "Queen's Park) near the Emporium Shopping Centre in Sukhumvit and will occasionally go and sit at the park after work in the afternoons. She tells me she sees allot of foreigners getting nabbed by the Park Police for littering or smoking in the park area. My elderly mother was caught smoking last year when she came to visit us and she was initially fined 4,000.00THB she pleaded with them stating that there where no visible NO SMOKING SIGNS in or around the park, they then dropped the price of the fine to 3,000.00THB she continued to plead her case with them and they said and I quote - ok we give you discount because this being first time only have to pay 2,000.00THB She paid the fine. I have been to the park many times and if you don't look really close to the very very small sign on the front of the park wall, it would be easy for any foreigners to be caught out. I am not saying that she wasn't in the wrong, but the signs in and around the park should be more visible to all to see, a bit like entrapment if I do say so myself.

I have a better idea, since most people would view paying a fine for the alleged liter on the street as "corruption" (among other things which are branded under such circumstance) I propose an alternative: requiring an hour of public service such as cleaning up the street instead of the fine.

Brilliant idea... and get them arrested later on for working without W.P. :lol:

Spot on !!

Personally, as a non smoker, I think smokers should be isolated on some far off place where they can pollute each other to their hearts ( and lungs ) content.

I hate it when I'm in a restaurant or bar and some fool lights up a cancer stick ruining everybody else's meal.

Fine them every time they light up, littering or not !! I've got no time at all for smokers, disgusting habit.

What a bitter, intolerant little man you are. What is your indulgence, then? Because you can rest assured that when the puritanical, anti-smoking Nazis finally succeed in having smoking completely banned, they will then turn their acerbic attentions to other 'vices'. Some people just cannot abide the thought that someone, somewhere might be engaging in an activity which actually gives pleasure.

And I am a life-long non-smoker.

Edited by Rumpole

I say the cops should bang everyone with that fine. A Thai's money spends just as well as anyone else's, and for once the cop's corruption would have a upside. Jerk offs would stop littering! And they could make more money as there are more of their own to target.

I say the cops should bang everyone with that fine. A Thai's money spends just as well as anyone else's, and for once the cop's corruption would have a upside. Jerk offs would stop littering! And they could make more money as there are more of their own to target.

Thais just wont pay that much.. and remember Thai Rak Thai (does count for a lot sometimes)

So , where are all the litter bins in which to place your litter ? Oh , sorry , people may put bombs in them , what a bloody poor excuse to rip off farang for littering when so many Thai make it a pastime . I once dropped a but DOWN THE DRAIN and was fined B500 whilst a Thai butting at the cubicle was not fined , police retort ? Thai have no money , carried a plastic bag from there on in , no more fines .

Thais just wont pay that much.. and remember Thai Rak Thai (does count for a lot sometimes)

Nahh, they would just have to work harder for it. And as far as that Thai Rak Thai, please, I used to believe that till I saw what those redshirt scum bag bastards did to their fellow Thais for what ever lil pennies toxin threw their way. People are people, cops extort folks everywhere they can get away with it.

It is an out and out scam but it is an important lesson for farangs in Thailand.

Make sure you obey every rule and law regardless of what anyone else does because the buffalos are always waiting and if you make a mistake or break a law you will be held accountable.

Spot on !!

What a bitter, intolerant little man you are. What is your indulgence, then? Because you can rest assured that when the puritanical, anti-smoking Nazis finally succeed in having smoking completely banned, they will then turn their acerbic attentions to other 'vices'. Some people just cannot abide the thought that someone, somewhere might be engaging in an activity which actually gives pleasure.

Littering is the subject not smoking ........ and like it or not in a room where no one smokes lighting up is just plain rude. Banning smoking is no different than banning other activities people are to stupid to be able to forgo on their own. If Cigarettes were introduced as a new product today they would not be allowed to be sold, so why wouldn't you bad a product that is only being sold because of the ignorance of it's harm in the past. Smokers don't smoke because it's pleasurable, in fact the first several will make a person sick, they smoke because they have addictive substances in them and they find it to hard to stop, 99% of smokers would quit if it was as simple as buying them. Fighting for the right to smoke additive free cigs, I might be able to understand, but anyone who thinks these company's should have the right to addict and poison people is crazy.

• Like 1

Tetsakit stopping me for littering?

That'll be the day!!

Even traffic coppers never stop me either..

..but these are the benefits for us who live in obscure provinces.

For the rest ..yeah keep staying in high profile,high-ripoff places...Enjoy!

I don't consider people being able to litter , or not being stopped for it a benefit. I consider it a rude form of behavior would prefer to live without. But each to his own I guess

Spot on !!

Littering is the subject not smoking ........ and like it or not in a room where no one smokes lighting up is just plain rude. Banning smoking is no different than banning other activities people are to stupid to be able to forgo on their own. If Cigarettes were introduced as a new product today they would not be allowed to be sold, so why wouldn't you bad a product that is only being sold because of the ignorance of it's harm in the past. Smokers don't smoke because it's pleasurable, in fact the first several will make a person sick, they smoke because they have addictive substances in them and they find it to hard to stop, 99% of smokers would quit if it was as simple as buying them. Fighting for the right to smoke additive free cigs, I might be able to understand, but anyone who thinks these company's should have the right to addict and poison people is crazy.

if you ban smoking and someone lights up, it's rude and breaking the law. however lighting up as the only person in an area that is deemed a smoking area is not a problem. i understand that some people find the smell offensive, but if that's the case dont go to a place where you know smoking will be taking place. of course you may think that the weather is nice and then decide to sit outside at a pub where people will most likely be smoking. but then dont blame the smokers, blame the establishment for allowing it there.

That's not so true , a meeting room that allows smoking and your the only smoker for example, it would be rude, At a party in a room where your the only smoker but their is an ashtray, ect. ..... Just because something is allowed doesn't make it not rude to do. Most non smokers would give you an ashtray in their house but that doesn't mean it's not more polite to go outside. In a bar sure, and non smokers would be pretty rude to go to the smoking area and not want people to smoke.