How Does Life Change For Expats In Chiang Mai?

JustCurious

Thanks for your thoughtful reply,

There are, of course, many variations on the expat theme. I live in a mooban where I know there is a white man in every house, but only ever see the same 1 or 2. The rest are all locked away with air-con running 24/7. I do call round to see one particular person, he will accept visitors but absolutely refuses to leave his air-con. You are quite correct in that his wife can get him to drive his air-con car to a air-con shopping mall, where he can walk round with her, hand in hand. Where you have specified these as a separate type, I consider them type 2).

I did completely miss the golf/gym/cycling crowd, my bad, I don't, so I don't encounter many of this sort and I completely forgot about them. I shall add a 3) Overactive health/exercise.

I don't really fit into any category, being newly married, and with a wife who really, really wants a baby, I don't get much of a chance to do anything ..... I might just be able to squeeze into my new type 3) expat definition. I would be willing to bet money that 75% of expats fall into type 1) or 2) though.

I don't write anything about expat females, as I have met so few.

From my observation, the golfing/gym/cycling/tennis/jogging etc crowd is fairly sizable, though they might not cross paths very often with people in those other two categories that you mentioned. Actually I noticed that before retiring too - amongst people working on expat assignments, at any given destination there seem to be a fair number that catch the physical fitness bug and also a fair number that instead get into the habit of eating & drinking too much.

Generally though, the two categories of people that you mention sound like what they have in common is that they retired without having sufficient hobbies & interests to keep themselves busy in their retirement, and hence have started to go stir crazy. That's a potential hazard for retirees anywhere though. I suspect that most of those people would probably be bored to death no matter where they were living, I think that it has very little to do with the fact that they retired in the CM area.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Then there are those of us that work ... and work ... and work.

I am a director of a small Thai company that is rapidly expanding and I put the hours in that are required. For the most part I have no practical reason for ever going out in the areas already discussed in this thread.

Just like anywhere in Thailand, you have the retirees ... the wannabe retirees ... the drubks (typo intended)... the visa runners .. the punters etc. Also, just like anywhere in Thailand you have the business owners and those that are gainfully employed as well as the reputable and not-so-reputable English teachers.

How has my life changed since moving to Chiang Mai? I moved up here to accept a job after having spent over 6 years in Thailand as a wannabe retiree. I moved here at 39 and took some classes. I learned Thai. I studied culture and Buddhism. Finally, I got bored. I knew that I wasn't cut out to be an English teacher so started looking around for something I would enjoy doing. I found it. No border runs, no immigration hassles, wages that I would expect living in the West for doing the same job, friends, polite company to dine with and enjoy conversations with in my limited free time. Add it all together and I have what I would have almost anywhere... I like to call it "a busy, useful, and productive life."

Expats are just people like anyone else, you get those who are active and some who are lazy, drunks and activists, socialites and do gooders, etc. etc. Whoever you are, you can continue being that person here, and if you want to chage, there is opportunity for that too. I have many groups of friends and acquaintances from really poor expats who can only afford one night out on sangsom a week to the rather financially lubricated who dine out every day. Some are family folks who spend their lives making their families happy, others are immersed in the local culture. So, there is no real answer. We are all different (even though I am not expat, I have many expat friends) and Chiang Mai, like most decent sized cities in the world, offers opportunities or the lack thereof for those who seek, or shun them. My tuppence.

Wow a lot of negatives here (only goy halfway down the page - too depressed to read on).

My answers...

1) Which community?

Thai community - more difficult, depends where you live. If you live in a sprawling farang populated moo bahn, then the Thais tend to keep to themselves (other than a quick 'hi' perhaps - or 'if you cat shit lawn my another, I poison.' - just joking). If you live in a small Thai moo bahn (like me) - you get to meet the locals more and get offered lift, drink/food invites, help with contacting ToT when they screw up your internet again, etc. To be really accepted means life outside of the city - perhaps in a small village somewhere - where slowly your face will become known and people are (as usual with country folk the world over - except France and Wales (sorry France/Wales, but its true)) more friendly and interested.

Expat community - easy as pie (though pies are not so easy to find here :D) - just pop long to any of the expat pubs/bars/cafes (ther are quite a few haunts - some younger, some older, most mixed). Be brave, and you'll be talking and making friends in no time.

2) What kind of things wear me down?

Landlords/ladies can be really hit or miss - and there's sod all you can do if you get a lazy bugger who will not fix that leaking roof or back-flowing toilet other than leave and loose your deposit. Electricity is expensive and crap - need surge protectors and frequent brown outs. Pavements are crap and often impossible to walk down - I really feel for guys like Harry who need to use a wheelchair! The usual rip-off-the-farang mentatlity, especially amongst songtaew/tuktuk/taxi drivers. Kee Nok tourists (i.e. hooligans, thugs, larger louts, trouble makers, drunks). Immigration rules. Lack of any logical thinking at all in any office, shop or call centre. Thai refusing to unrstand Thai because a farang is speaking it. Expats who ae too big to return a smile, nod, hi to another passing farang (sheesh I'm not after a loan you know - usually :D). Bug infested rice at Big-C regardless of grade, all apckets seem to be swarming with weavel bugs. Mozzies. School bus is so bloody early. Bloody workmen next door have spent two weeks putting in some wooden window frames, hammering and drilling from early to late - how long does it take - I'm not carpenter but three window frames and two door farmes should't take more than two days max. Nothing seems to be made well here, glass breaks at a touch, electronc items fizz out in weeks, fans just stop working in a month, handles fall off of saucepans, and so on (even stuff with branded names). Ants... And about a millon other little things. However, there are far more positives for me here and I try to dwell on those, because sure as cheese is expensive, it ain't going to change because it pisses me off.

Ok, so maybe I shouldn't have been so specific with my example of the thrill of serendipity in finding a great sales lady and a good product, that I never expected to find in Thailand. Blinky Bill, I hope your bras fit comfortably. And for those who don't know, a European style bra is one that isn't made of molded rubber with thick padding in sizes that we couldn't have worn even at age 10! JimGant sounds like one of those guys who thinks that western women shouldn't be allowed to live in Thailand and SarahsBloke is missing some of the best part of the expat community if he doesn't know any western women here.

Edited by NancyL

A requirement is to get old and cranky. You must whinge about everything and criticise any other expat who appears to be making a successful business.

It's fun to post a good whinge just before going to bed. But, you have to know how to write and cleverly word it to get maximum attention. Then, wake up in the morning refreshed, have a nice brewed coffee with some hot buttered raisin toast, and turn on the computer. Your topic will be filled with comments about how you should REALLY run your life. It's great sport. :lol:

Ok, so maybe I shouldn't have been so specific with my example of the thrill of serendipity in finding a great sales lady and a good product, that I never expected to find in Thailand. Blinky Bill, I hope your bras fit comfortably. And for those who don't know, a European style bra is one that isn't made of molded rubber with thick padding in sizes that we couldn't have worn even at age 10! JimGant sounds like one of those guys who thinks that western women shouldn't be allowed to live in Thailand and SarahsBloke is missing some of the best part of the expat community if he doesn't know any western women here.

Thanks for my evening laugh, Nancy. Now I can go to bed with a smile on my face.

It's 3 AM in western Canada. :lol:

European-style bra

Three cups?
JimGant sounds like one of those guys who thinks that western women shouldn't be allowed to live in Thailand

Do Western women now have 3 boobs!!? Oh my. Easier to feed those fertility drug litters, I guess.

Edited by JimGant