Some Concerns You Left Behind In Other Countries

gravion

Hi, I lived in France for 3 months for my holiday, for my final month of stay, I did not pay my rent and power bills. Because it will take about a months to get my deposit back.

Also I have some parking fines I havent payed...

So if I return back to France, will they stop me at the boarders?

Is there any way to confirm this before the visit?

doesn't seem like u left these concerns behind at all. Seems like they are haunting you still...

will they stop you at the boarder? I doubt it. if you get another parking ticket while there maybe you name would come up in the system, but doubt it.

who was your landlord? private individual? if so, and you rented by paying first and last month together, I doubt there would be an issue.

But all that said, I am not French and am merely applying common sense to your fugative follies.

• Like 1

This is one of these small things in life wihich at a later stage can have a very uncomfortable ending.

Besides the tickets, which in many countries is a (low level) federal crime, the unpaid bills will most likely go to the next body (department/agency).

Mormally a private company will take the case for the private creditors.

I believe if unpaid bills, one will soon get a fine slapped on top of the bills, correct?

And as longer one wait, as higher the payment will be.

The name of the person will soon enter the system.

Not a big crime, but they will sonner or later catch up.

If the OP still has some address, or properties (values) within EU, they can at a later stage claim it, after repeatedly reminders have been sent out.

Worst case scenario.

They can even take an entire house if one single unpaid bill is not settled.

Bit of a low life aintcha OP? Return to France? Yes please as soon as possible you're just the sort of individual Thailand could live without.

Just a few unpaid bills....yeah right. listen up everyone cos this is the bloke who'll be trying to borrow a few quid over the coming months......err NO.

I wonder what your landlord did to deserve this....nothing is my guess....hope you have a few more sleepless nights.

:angry:

Bit of a low life aintcha OP? Return to France? Yes please as soon as possible you're just the sort of individual Thailand could live without.

Just a few unpaid bills....yeah right. listen up everyone cos this is the bloke who'll be trying to borrow a few quid over the coming months......err NO.

I wonder what your landlord did to deserve this....nothing is my guess....hope you have a few more sleepless nights.

If the OP's "crimes" were the worst we ever saw from farangs in Thailand I would be very very happy, sounds more like over exuberant youth than anything else. BTW smokie36, is your slate in life spotlessly clean, a rhetorical question!

OP: I wouldn't worry too much about those things but I would guess you now understand they weren't the smartest things you ever did, don't do it again would be my advice and you certainly shouldn't sweat the immigration/customs scene, they're small change misdemeanour's rather than felonies but don't be surprised if they catch up with you some where in life.

OK, this is getting a bit silly, yes you’re a bonehead for doing what you did! But don’t run off just yet and join the Foreign Legion not all’s lost. You can’t do much about the parking fines, (maybe pay them) there in the system, and round and round they will go until they are dumped out, could be 5, 10, 15 years……..But they will get dumped in the end! Landlord and the flat, civil matter, it’s not a criminal offence to owe money….Unless it’s the VAT man. Sad fact is, (for your landlord) it will cost him more to try and pursue you for what you owe…I think you over value yourself…….No attack dogs at the airport trained to recognized your whiff (from a pair of stinky old DNA laden skiddies from under your bed) No, I think your safe gravion……………Or should that be “Carlos”

If the OP's "crimes" were the worst we ever saw from farangs in Thailand I would be very very happy, sounds more like over exuberant youth than anything else. BTW smokie36, is your slate in life spotlessly clean, a rhetorical question!

OP: I wouldn't worry too much about those things but I would guess you now understand they weren't the smartest things you ever did, don't do it again would be my advice and you certainly shouldn't sweat the immigration/customs scene, they're small change misdemeanour's rather than felonies but don't be surprised if they catch up with you some where in life.

:P Someone has to take a hard line with the young scamp!

:P Someone has to take a hard line with the young scamp!

;)

Check what the local laws say about debt prescribing. In my home country if you owe anybody any money and they don't take steps to recover it; that debt prescribes after three years. They have to prove they contacted you to recover debt and that you received notices.

Debt cannot be outstanding indefinitely.

[/quote

Ah shaddup. Christ.

• Like 1

Sounds like he left the deposit, which will probably come close to covering the month rent, if not the power bill.

The landlord certainly won't be pursuing you for peanuts like that. (Unless of course you were running a hydroponics marijuana plantation in the loft with megawatt lighting! :whistling:)

As for the parking tickets, there are probably fifty million unpaid tickets floating around the various maries in France. Don't sweat it. You've got nothing to worry about.

But don't make a habit of it. These things can come back and bite you in the bum.:hit-the-fan:

Parking fines were most probably handed by the City police, which is not the National Police, so you can pretty much forget about it.

Speeding tickets, well, a different matter since they are kept on your record and if you go back to France one day and the cops ask you for your driving license they might find you owe money to the state. And get you to pay for them, or give a legit address where they can force you to pay.

If you are not a French national and/or have no permanent address in France you can forget about it.

As for the deposit, you'd have better dealt with the landlord before hand. I don't get why it would have taken one month to get your deposit back btw. The use is to visit the apartment before handling back the keys, and if everything is fine he hands you back your deposit by cheque. No cheque = no return of the keys, you can always tell them to keep a part of it for the power bill based on your previous bills, and that would have been settled.

Although not in France, I’ve had 2 bad experiences thanks to an ex wife. We were separated at the time and in the process of disposing joint property. I was working overseas.

The first was an unpaid parking ticket. As the car was registered in both names the ticket was awarded against me as I was the Mr. on the registration papers. She ignored the parking fine and “forgot” to inform me.

On arrival back in my home country I had a pile of threatening letters from the debt collection agency along with brochures showing they were in their rights to have my driving license canceled if I didn’t pay the fine. As she wouldn’t accept responsibility I paid the outstanding amount to clear my name. :realangry:

The other was an outstanding dog catcher fine.

The family pet had been caught by the dog catcher at some stage and was returned to the house with a fine. Again she “forgot” to inform me. As the dog was registered against the family home and I was the Mr, the fine was in my name.

The unpaid fine went through the court system gathering further penalties including an “arrest at convenience” warrant. Once again I paid to clear my name. :angry:

Check what the local laws say about debt prescribing. In my home country if you owe anybody any money and they don't take steps to recover it; that debt prescribes after three years. They have to prove they contacted you to recover debt and that you received notices.

Yes they can.

The creditors send out a small notice in local papers in the area where he had his last known address.

This way, the bill stay put, until it is paid, with bigger interests and bigger fees.

Pretty normal routine actually.

The bill doesnt go away because it is 10 years old.

Bills these days are also backed up electronically, so they can be stored until end of time, with out any extra cost.

The creditors send out a small notice in local papers in the area where he had his last known address.

In which country? blink.gif

Because the only notice I usually in French newspaper with names on them are obituaries... ph34r.gif

Edited by PatLogan

Because the only notice I usually in French newspaper with names on them are obituaries... ph34r.gif

Has been done for as long as I can remember in the Scandinavian countries.

These notices will NOT state what it is about, but only this or that person should please contact this or that office.

I think it was last year (or earlier this year) Bangkok Post actually had one litle notice from a creditor company in Norway, where they wanted to get hold of Norwegian bloke, last address Pattaya.

Well it is is in French, but that is an official government website: http://www.minefi.gouv.fr/DGCCRF/documentation/fiches_pratiques/fiches/prescription_dette.htm

They say 5 years for rents and 5 years for electricity.

Well it is is in French, but that is an official government website: http://www.minefi.gouv.fr/DGCCRF/documentation/fiches_pratiques/fiches/prescription_dette.htm

They say 5 years for rents and 5 years for electricity.

I guess that settles it then, unless it is a possibility to transfer the debt to a private creditor company.

These notices will NOT state what it is about, but only this or that person should please contact this or that office.

I think it was last year (or earlier this year) Bangkok Post actually had one litle notice from a creditor company in Norway, where they wanted to get hold of Norwegian bloke, last address Pattaya.

I am pretty sure that somebody doing that in France could well be sued for defamation and/or harassment.

I am pretty sure that somebody doing that in France could well be sued for defamation and/or harassment.

Agree it is a thin line, which is why they use professional companies doing this.

More and more government bodies are being privatized, and debt collecting (not tax) is one of them.