Thailand Wants More Aussie Tourists

Merlin

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Thaila...0934349607.html

Thailand is launching an advertising blitz to get more Australians to visit and reverse a drastic drop in foreign tourist numbers since the tsunami disaster.

Thai Finance Minister Somkid Jatusripitak told the Tourism Authority of Thailand, or TAT, to spend more on their marketing and promotion activities mainly in Australia, China and Japan.

The new "hard sell" launch is intended to boost tourism receipts in the second half of this year and so ease pressure on Thailand's dismal current account.

Before the Boxing Day tsunami close to 400,000 Australians used to visit the kingdom a year.

But this year less than 300,000 are expected to come.

On average each Australian holidaymaker spends $A1,500 in Thailand. That adds to millions of dollars for the Thai economy.

But the threat of international terrorism and the tsunami's effects have had a drastic impact on the numbers of foreign visitors.

One official said tourism had "fallen flat" since the beginning of the year.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

Some analysts doubt TAT can meet its overall target of 13.38 million visitors for 2005.

TAT governor Juthamas Siriwan said one obstacle in encouraging more tourists from Australia was the lack of flights to Thailand, particularly Phuket which is recovering from the tsunami.

She said TAT would ask the national carrier, Thai Airways, about the possibility of adding more flights to serve these markets, because a large number of foreign airlines had stopped flying into Thailand this year.

There are also plans for the authority to design new packages aimed at Chinese tourists, only 270,000 of whom have visited Thailand so far this year, against a full-year target of 1.2 million arrivals.

Finance Minister Somkid said it was crucial for the economy for the tourism sector to make a full recovery.

TAT has asked the Thai government for an additional $A140 million to help finance marketing activities in Australia, Japan and China.

Other woes which have hit the Thai economy include the effects of soaring oil prices, which have caused trade and current accounts to fall sharply into the red in the first six months of this year.

Economic growth is projected at just 4 per cent this year, from 6.1 per cent for 2004.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Thaila...0934349607.html

Thailand is launching an advertising blitz to get more Australians to visit and reverse a drastic drop in foreign tourist numbers since the tsunami disaster.

Thai Finance Minister Somkid Jatusripitak told the Tourism Authority of Thailand, or TAT, to spend more on their marketing and promotion activities mainly in Australia, China and Japan.

The new "hard sell" launch is intended to boost tourism receipts in the second half of this year and so ease pressure on Thailand's dismal current account.

Before the Boxing Day tsunami close to 400,000 Australians used to visit the kingdom a year.

But this year less than 300,000 are expected to come.

On average each Australian holidaymaker spends $A1,500 in Thailand. That adds to millions of dollars for the Thai economy.

But the threat of international terrorism and the tsunami's effects have had a drastic impact on the numbers of foreign visitors.

One official said tourism had "fallen flat" since the beginning of the year.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

Some analysts doubt TAT can meet its overall target of 13.38 million visitors for 2005.

TAT governor Juthamas Siriwan said one obstacle in encouraging more tourists from Australia was the lack of flights to Thailand, particularly Phuket which is recovering from the tsunami.

She said TAT would ask the national carrier, Thai Airways, about the possibility of adding more flights to serve these markets, because a large number of foreign airlines had stopped flying into Thailand this year.

There are also plans for the authority to design new packages aimed at Chinese tourists, only 270,000 of whom have visited Thailand so far this year, against a full-year target of 1.2 million arrivals.

Finance Minister Somkid said it was crucial for the economy for the tourism sector to make a full recovery.

TAT has asked the Thai government for an additional $A140 million to help finance marketing activities in Australia, Japan and China.

Other woes which have hit the Thai economy include the effects of soaring oil prices, which have caused trade and current accounts to fall sharply into the red in the first six months of this year.

Economic growth is projected at just 4 per cent this year, from 6.1 per cent for 2004.

Then they had better get busy and order hundreds of thousands of ashtrays and towels for the various hotels in Phuket. :o

Then they had better get busy and order hundreds of thousands of ashtrays and towels for the various hotels in Phuket.    :D

Harmonica,

:o:D :D

Funny you should say that! We have recently given an Aussie relative a tour of Thailand and this relative likes to collect something with logos or whatever on them from various establishments..

My Thai wife couldn't believe it - relo putting her into a "position" if caught. Who would have to do all the talking. :D

Cheers, BaanOz

plus the lack of sanook nowdays. My mates back home would rather go to a place that they can drink after 1am, buy a beer in the arvo at a resturaunt, not worry about the place getting shut down for a piss test (not scared of the test itself) etc etc.

Then they had better get busy and order hundreds of thousands of ashtrays and towels for the various hotels in Phuket.    :D

Harmonica,

:o:D :D

Funny you should say that! We have recently given an Aussie relative a tour of Thailand and this relative likes to collect something with logos or whatever on them from various establishments..

My Thai wife couldn't believe it - relo putting her into a "position" if caught. Who would have to do all the talking. :D

All to do with why the Brits shipped them to Oz years ago, Kleptomaniacs

plus the lack of sanook nowdays. My mates back home would rather go to a place that they can drink after 1am, buy a beer in the arvo at a resturaunt, not worry about the place getting shut down for a piss test (not scared of the test itself) etc etc.

Bloody h3ll Tuky! Just when I was really starting to convince myself that TV is completely a "accept Thailand the way it is or leave" crowd, you go and say something like that! And you're a mod! :o

Seriously, I'm glad all this sillyness is getting acknowledged by some users of the forum - very much appreciated.

Hey, big spenders. 45,000 Baht per person..... Whats the average length of stay I wonder? 3 days !!

Hey, big spenders. 45,000 Baht per person..... Whats the average length of stay I wonder? 3 days !!

yeh, I wondered about that bit too - my average when coming here on holidays was 10,000 a day from the ATM.

yeh, I wondered about that bit too - my average when coming here on holidays was 10,000 a day from the ATM.

These are ozzy’s we’re talkn’ about – 45,000 Baht = 30 days in LOS, and here’s how they do it:

100 Baht Cathouse happy hour (all you can drink Chang) + 600 Baht Hotel + 300 Baht Food + 500 Baht Bar Fine = 1,500 baht per day = 30 days in LOS :o

These are ozzy’s we’re talkn’ about – 45,000 Baht = 30 days in LOS, and here’s how they do it:

100 Baht Cathouse happy hour (all you can drink Chang) + 600 Baht Hotel + 300 Baht Food + 500 Baht Bar Fine = 1,500 baht per day = 30 days in LOS :o

Well that's a lot more than the average expat spends :D

The average Aussie wage for 2000/1 is as follows according to http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/

For the financial year 2000-01, the average individual annual wage and salary income for wage and salary earners in New South Wales was $37,191. This was an increase of 4.4% over the previous year ($35,636) and a 24.4% increase on the average in 1995-96 ($29,890). The average annual rate of increase over the last five years has been 4.5%.

AUD37,191, of that 7,329.30 is taxed according to the ATO http://calculators.ato.gov.au/ at this point in time (after tax, AUD28,861) is equal to 938,819.09 THB

according to http://www.xe.com with house repayments, tuition, petrol, housekeeping etc etc perhaps all the avergae Aussie can spend after saving for a holiday is AUD1,500.

Don't forget guys most of us are the lucky ones, we got out of there :o

The average Aussie wage for 2000/1 is as follows according to http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/
For the financial year 2000-01, the average individual annual wage and salary income for wage and salary earners in New South Wales was $37,191. This was an increase of 4.4% over the previous year ($35,636) and a 24.4% increase on the average in 1995-96 ($29,890). The average annual rate of increase over the last five years has been 4.5%.

AUD37,191, of that 7,329.30 is taxed according to the ATO http://calculators.ato.gov.au/ at this point in time (after tax, AUD28,861) is equal to 938,819.09 THB

according to http://www.xe.com with house repayments, tuition, petrol, housekeeping etc etc perhaps all the avergae Aussie can spend after saving for a holiday is AUD1,500.

Don't forget guys most of us are the lucky ones, we got out of there :D

Thanks for reminding me :o

100 Baht Cathouse happy hour (all you can drink Chang) + 600 Baht Hotel + 300 Baht Food + 500 Baht Bar Fine = 1,500 baht per day = 30 days in LOS  :o

what, nothing for the girl???

:D

I would take the $1500 with a grain of salt, if the figure is obtained per census,how many are going to admit to spent on beer and bargirls.

Most Aussie tourists I see spend like drunken sailors.

As a matter of interest ,the Av wage and salary income for 2005 was over $55,000 with a paye deduction without dependants of $11000 leaving a disposable income of about 1.4 mill baht.

I can think of more than just economic, natural disasters, or terrorist related reasons that people arent going to thailand............ try fixing the country from the inside first, what about all the corruption from higher levels? What about all the moral issues? Ofcourse there should be money spent on tourism promotion but band aid solutions will never fix the problems that lie within.... Thailand could be so much more beautiful than it allready is........

Edited by soi lurker