Pot Luck

scorpio1945

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a great time and yes, food was really good. Sure like those beans and sorry, but went back for more. My wife Lisa also enjoyed it as it was a chance to speak to other poor women married to farang as well :whistling: . Seems I scored about average in the husband scale, altho high in the handsome scale HaHaHa!! :lol:

Thank you all for a nice friendly visit, will do it again.

Bob/Lisa

WHAT I thought they said I was the most hansom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome, thanks for the good day.

Had a great time and yes, food was really good. Sure like those beans and sorry, but went back for more. My wife Lisa also enjoyed it as it was a chance to speak to other poor women married to farang as well :whistling: . Seems I scored about average in the husband scale, altho high in the handsome scale HaHaHa!! :lol:

Thank you all for a nice friendly visit, will do it again.

Bob/Lisa

WHAT I thought they said I was the most hansom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome, thanks for the good day.

Welcome to TV, and glad you enjoyed the lunch and company.

Best to keep the phandamonium under wraps until you've scored at least 100 posts! but will look forward to it! B)

• 4 weeks later...

wink.gifHow about our Pot Luck this month.partytime2.gif?

Apologies... :o Somehow Thanksgiving mislead me into thinking there was an extra Sunday this month. Must of been my expectation of all the turkey I was going to eat today,and did.

Nevertheless, the fourteenth edition of the Pot Luck Picnic will be at the same place and same time (13:00) this Sunday the 27th. Praying for some leftovers from today.

• 2 weeks later...

Since our normal day for the Pot Luck Picnic falls on Christmas Day, what are your thoughts. Should we cancel or reschedule since Don's, La Meridian and I assume others will host special Christmas dinners and there may be religious services for some. I have NO preference.:jap:

Scorpio, have you thought about doing a little marketing for your Potluck? It is really a great way for newcomers to meet other residents of the Rai. It seems to have become more of a private club with the same half dozen couples and very few new people of late. Maybe that is good enough for you, I don’t know.

Some people are shy and might require a PM or some other form of personal invite to feel comfortable joining an established group for a lovely afternoon. Just thinking out loud here. You started it so it is up to you. :)

We haven't seen you for a while VF...though we know the aircon is not as good as the meridian even though the food is better. A few new ones come each time and have a happy time returning though not every month. I do not think anyone wants it to be a bustling village fair, just a place where we relax among friends and gain more each time.

Edited by harrry

Since our normal day for the Pot Luck Picnic falls on Christmas Day, what are your thoughts. Should we cancel or reschedule since Don's, La Meridian and I assume others will host special Christmas dinners and there may be religious services for some. I have NO preference.:jap:

If too many have other things to do (although we will be at the potluck if there is one) my family and I will be going to the buffet at Rimkok. It is a fair buffet.....even though it does not meet Village Farangs standards. They do not generally have a special Christmas menu though it was still good at the standard 160 baht or so a head.

We will post what time we are going and would like to meet any potluckers there and eat together if we do not have the usual picnic.

I have found that we often know a dozen or more people at the Sunday Brunch and it is easy to meet new people there as well. No need to cook or prepare anything in advance. If we feel like going we go and honestly the food can’t be beat.

As I said, if you guys are happy that is great. I was just looking at some of the early pictures and comparing them to the recent ones. There has been a big drop off in attendance.

Scorpio, have you thought about doing a little marketing for your Potluck? It is really a great way for newcomers to meet other residents of the Rai. It seems to have become more of a private club with the same half dozen couples and very few new people of late. Maybe that is good enough for you, I don't know.

Some people are shy and might require a PM or some other form of personal invite to feel comfortable joining an established group for a lovely afternoon. Just thinking out loud here. You started it so it is up to you. :)

In a round about way I do advertise. As someone who tends to go to most events, having the advantage of living in town, I have been building up a separate email list of people I have meet at Expats, Hash House Harriers, Dons, etc. I tend to cherry pick a bit and look for people who are friendly, laid back, good conversationalist, like to cook occasionally etc. I have heard reports that some people have not come back because they did not like someone at the PL. Can't worry about that. Everyone is welcome. I would worry a little bit if someone has not even taken a look at one of the groups if town, if they would fit in and enjoy themselves.

What puzzles me more is why some of the posters on TV, who seem to fit the nice people criteria, have not shown up. Would appreciate a PM from them if they would care to comment.. Of course some peoples TV personality might not fit their in person persona or visa versa. .

I guess I feel the core group provides the foundation for a friendly atmosphere that allows a new visitor an easy entrance.. Suggestions are ALWAYS WELCOME.

Perhaps in the beginning it was easier because everyone was new. Some might be reluctant to barge in on an established group no matter how friendly they see themselves, so it is good to hear that you are putting invitations out there, even if you are cherry picking a bit. ;)

Just because individuals haven’t checked out other groups in town doesn’t mean they wouldn’t fit in. Not everyone can cook so that could be a problem for some. I suppose it is possible that some want to maintain anonymity on TV so they can be as bad as they want to be. Being shy or socially awkward might hold some back. I suppose there are many reasons.

While some of our members are a bit high-strung, I find it hard to believe that they could not hold their own in a civil social gathering or would be frightened off by one individual. In the past I have also wondered whether friends of mine would hit it off when they met. They probably like each other more than they like me at this point so I needn’t have worried. :lol:

I know more people at the Meridien at this point and my wife also likes it there but I still think the Potluck is a great place for people to get together in the light of day and in a casual and low-key environment. Wish more people would turn up as I am sure they would enjoy it. :)

I'm happy having a meal or a drink/coffee with one or two friends but I seem to struggle a little in group situations these days.

I suppose it's selfishness, I'm at the age where I like to do exactly what I please and eating as part of a crowd, trying to make polite conversation among other people's doubtlessly perfectly normal wives and children, doesn't quite get there.

I suspect I'm not alone among expats, there's a few who are trying to get away from something without being completely sure what it is. :)

I'm happy having a meal or a drink/coffee with one or two friends but I seem to struggle a little in group situations these days.

I suppose it's selfishness, I'm at the age where I like to do exactly what I please and eating as part of a crowd, trying to make polite conversation among other people's doubtlessly perfectly normal wives and children, doesn't quite get there.

I suspect I'm not alone among expats, there's a few who are trying to get away from something without being completely sure what it is. :)

That is the beauty of the pot luck....not stuck at a table or in a room. If someone wants to walk off on their own no one notices. You do not have to talk to the wives anway....they are too busy sitting in a huddle taking about us.

Edited by harrry

The one thing mentioned is the ladies. Thinking of my dear wife, she has the chance to meet other ladies married to farang, discuss all our faults and money :blink: .

I find it interesting the new ladies have no problem mixing in, in fact they seem overly pleased at the prospect. It is actually good for them to compare notes, who's husband is good looking, which has the biggest...................smile :lol: . You know, girl talk. They may be thai, but they are girls and talk they love. Now I am rather out going, people type of person, really enjoy meeting new and my old friends. I think those who want to isolate and be alone are a VERY small group when you look at people who travel, some 1/2 way around the world to be here. Most are looking to meet others and just haven't found their way around yet.

I did find the directions somewhat difficult to understand, but then I lose my car at the mall too.

Hearing no contrary chorus, The fifteenth Pot Luck Picnic will be held on Christmas Day at one o'clock at our usual meeting place (CR Ag. Research Center on Old Chiang Mai road). If you are new and need more details/directions, back up a couple of pages and take a read or PM me.:jap:

As the issue was mentioned by VF, be assured that being a non cook is not a barrier to coming. Many attendees because of their schedules or other circumstances bring a purchased dish. We have had dishes from KFC, WCH, Pizza Company, Sausage King, etc. as well as local Thai food. Of course the homecooked dishes are what make it special but other dishes are welcome.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to ALL.:)

Edited by scorpio1945

Hearing no contrary chorus, The fifteenth Pot Luck Picnic will be held on Christmas Day at one o'clock at our usual meeting place (CR Ag. Research Center on Old Chiang Mai road). If you are new and need more details/directions, back up a couple of pages and take a read or PM me.:jap:

As the issue was mentioned by VF, be assured that being a non cook is not a barrier to coming. Many attendees because of their schedules or other circumstances bring a purchased dish. We have had dishes from KFC, WCH, Pizza Company, Sausage King, etc. as well as local Thai food. Of course the homecooked dishes are what make it special but other dishes are welcome.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to ALL.:)

We hope you all have a great time, and send our seasons greetings to everyone. We are catering for the extended family over at Mae Yao this year so won't be along to say 'hello' this time.