Oil & Additives

Kwasaki

When servicing vehicles at main dealers are all these extra little bottles of oil addititives & cleaners really necessary.?

In veiw of the advanced fuels and oils of today it seems just a way of hiking the price up.

One more thing Castrol Magnatec oil for diesels adds are everywhere, any good ?

Edited by Kwasaki

oils for diesel engines contain very little additives, they are not needed

what is important for a turbo diesel is oils ability to withstand extreme temperatures provided by turbo, as described in API certification

Yep, thats why l keep going on about Synthetic oil, nothing else needed. Only thing l might bung in now and again is injector cleaner in the tank from new, this stuff doesn't clean injectors with loads of mileage, will not clean heavy tarnish build up, from my experience only ultra sound does that.

advantage of using B5 diesel, the biodiesel works almost like a solvent keeping the fuelsystem/injectors rather clean. advantage, but the same solvent effect from bio can harm fuelsystems orings, gaskets, valves on older engines

I saw a small disposed little bottle containing something good for the injectors when I fetched my car at Toyota Mahanakorn. I have no idea if it was used in my car or not but I remember that those small bottles were very expensive. An old friend from the time before I moved to Thailand who was working at the engine development dept at Volvo swore that they were good

Yes, some of them are probably very good. Necessary? Don't know

Thailand is one of the few countries in the world where the oils for diesel are marketed different then the oils for gasoline/benzene vehicles.

I'm talking diesel as in light diesel engines as in the pick up trucks, I'm not talking about heavy truck diesel...

In europe BMW cars all use castrol synthetic, same spec be it diesel or gasoline/benzene. mercedes is the same story, all get Mobil and the same oil for diesel and benzene.

Thailand markets diesel lubricants as different, which is probably only marketing and not technology.

If you look at the benzene lube specs for example for Mobil 1 you'll see SM/CF. the s gives the API for gasoline, the c gives it for diesel.

If you then look at the diesl/pick up version you will only see the CF spec

Now the Diesel version of synthetics is most of the time a bit cheaper.

So, where does that leave us, all good oils are good, premium brands got much to loose.

Not all companies have a blending facility, there s plenty oil companies who buy from each other

Additives for oils are being frowned upon by the oil companies

Cleaners for injectors and fuel systems do work if they're from a reputable company.

I take the diesel version of mobil 1 for the race car, cheaper and same inside.

Hak

Edited by hakku