Share Taxi: Hua Hin To Ranong & Return?

enigma

There does not seem to be any visa run service here in Hua Hin, such as Jack's Golf in Bangkok. Please steer me in that direction if I am wrong about this.

I would like to be able to do the round trip in one day, which would seem to be difficult to do by bus.

Does anyone want to share a taxi for the round trip? I haven't done this visa run before so I'm assuming I can do it in one day.

You can make it there and back in a day by bus, but it's a long day.

Get the 8am bus in HH- always seems to arrive at 8.30am - and get to Ranong @2-2.30pm. Cost 190 B.

Jump on motorcycle taxi. He'll take you to immigration (not waliking distance) then on to the pier. Wait for you, back to imm and then bus station for @150 B.

Return boat will cost 250-350 (up to you to negotiate). Takes 30 mins to get over.

You'll need 5 US dollars. Get at bank before and it'll cost you @200, or from a multitude of Thais at the pier, for 300.

All being well, you'll be in time to get the 4.30 bus from Ranong. There's another at 5.30pm. Takes 7 hours to get back. Continual stops for school kids between Ranong and Chumpon.

I'm due to go on the 28th, but don't mind going a couple of days early if there's other interest in splitting the cost of the taxi. Gets expensive with only two people.

Many thanks for the detailed information. It sure is a long day on the bus!

It would be good if there were others who want to share a taxi. I don't mind which day I go, but my visa expires on 28th.

My mobile number is 079 750 842. Give me a call if you would like to discuss further.

There is a taxi/car service in Poolsuk Road (behind the temple) which advertises a visa run. It is operated by Jack, a young Thai guy, who also appears to be the manager of Willy's Station, a Swiss beer garden.

He advertises the run for Mondays but says he is flexible about that! The cost is 1,500 baht return per person but only if he gets a minimum of 3 passengers. If he gets more than 3 passengers, the price goes down for each person.

His business card gives his mobile number as 01-5753153.

Enigma,

Couple of things. You say that your visa expires on the 28th. Are you permitted to stay until that date?

If you go to Goanna's guest house and bar on Soi Selekam in the centre of town, Rod and Amanda, the Ozzie owners, have a notice up for shared runs. You'll have to fit in with their dates and I'm not sure how many people go on it. I usually do the run myself.

If you're still intrested in doing it on 27/28th, let me know and I'll tel you. The bus isn't too bad going down. Getting back's a pain though.

Suy yai, Again many thanks for your help on this, it’s much appreciated. I’m on an “O” visa and 28 July is 90 days since my last entry, so I have to renew it on or before the 28th.

I put my name on the shared run list in Goanna Guest House. The only other entry on the list is a guy who is driving down to Ranong on 7/8 August and is seeking passengers to help with expenses. I met Rod and Amanda (fellow Aussies!) while I was there.

Maybe now it’s a matter of wait and see. Make a decision next Monday 25th.

You may have difficulty if you try to contact me on my mobile, but I logon here every day.

Sua yai, I had a call from Jack (see my earlier post) who is planning a visa run on Wednesday 27 July in a mini bus. He has 3 or 5 other passengers already and invoited me to come too. He intends to leave about 5.00 am and return about 5.00 pm.

However, the cost seems to be fixed at 1,500 baht return irrespective of the number of passengers, despite his previous advice to me that the price would reduce as the number of passengers increased.

Are you interested in this arrangement? We may be able to exert some pressure on him to reduce the price a bit if we work together.

I will also call in to Goanna's guest house this weekend and see if anything has come up there.

You can ring me on 016523398, it should work ok.

Thanks for the message.

1,500 per head for five or more people is outrageous. If you can negotiate, then I'm still interested.

I'll tel you Tuesday to see how you're getting along.

BTW, check with him that the price, whatever it is, includes your 5 dollars and return long tail boat!!

Thinking about it again, 1,200 would be reasonable if it includes dollars and boat.

Maybe even 1,300 for the speed and ease of travel. Any more and I do feel you're getting ripped off.

Friends of mine used to organise trips like this and they charged 1,100 all in. OK, prices will go up a bit due to increased fuel costs.

I agree that 1,500 baht is outrageous. I'm also rather pissed off that Jack reneged on his earlier offer to lower the price as the number of passengers increased.

However, I am spared having to negotiate further with Jack, as I had a call from Rod of Goanna Guest house today and he has three English guys who want to do the visa run to Ranong on Tuesday 26th and are thinking of hiring a minivan.

Rod seems to think that a minivan would cost about 4,500 baht so that would make 1,100 approx for each of four of us, not including the boat trip.

If you would like to join in on Tuesday, we could divide the cost by five, so can you give me or Rod (070377731) a call to confirm?

Hello Enigma,

Thanks for the info. I've spoken to Rod. Your phone was ringing out.

I hear that you're going to The Andaman club which isn't too good for me. I'm only doing a 30 day run and there's an additional 700 Baht charge for 30 dayers unless you go 5 days early, so I'll give it a miss this time.

Having got married on the 15th of this month, I'll be going to Penang within the next couple of months to get my nonO visa. Would be good to meet up and plan a run after that.

BTW, are you a resident here? If so, there's a number of us that go out for a Saturday afternoon stroll and a few beers around town. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you details.

I'll try and call again later.

Have an ask around town. I'm sure that there are private companies doing the visa run.

:o You dont really need to come on a forum for this advice, but then if the best you can do is play darts in Cha Am on a monday night you wont know a lot will you.

A couple companies advertise in the Observer or the Thai fella that serve's behind the bar at Willy's, take your pick.

If you are on a budget which the majority of Ex Pats are then use the bus, the direct one to Ranong goes through Hua Hin about 11:30pm (bedtime for most residents of Cha Am), you cannot book so take your life in your hands jump in front of it, gets to Ranong around 05:30.

Edited by lostsoul

for a self proclaimed non poverty packer, you are a mine of information as to how poverty packers get to and fro on poverty transport for ' run ' purposes. BTW I must say that I intend to watch your Thai negative comments from now on. That sort of comment is not welcome here. And yes, that is a warning.