OK, I have done a search, and I can't find anything about boat ownership and the associated stuff.

If you look around there are some great deals for boats here. I used to own a boat and had a great deal of pleasure going fishing etc.

So I want to buy another "Runabout" and do the same here.

Where I came from, in falangland, there were quite strict licencing etc. I have no idea about the Law for owning and operating/commanding a boat here.

I mean can I just go and buy one, stick it in the water and drive around.

Any experiences out there ?

Where I came from, in falangland, there were quite strict licencing etc. I have no idea about the Law for owning and operating/commanding a boat here.

I mean can I just go and buy one, stick it in the water and drive around.

well, maybe its good idea to ask the information about the Law for owning and operating/commanding a boat

Division of the CommunicationTransport Agency Poholythin Rd, Bangkok,

Tel: (662) -272-3615

(662) 272-5322

(662) 272-5416

BB

Edited by BambinA

Not sure about the smaller runabouts you're talking about, but I have a 70 feet yacht, used commercially and it is impossible to register under a Farang name.

It can only be owned by a company, with less then 10% of the shares owned by foreigners.

The boat can only be captained and crewed by Thai nationals if it is registered in Thailand.

I do know we had a lot of restrictions because the yacht is registered for commercial use, hopefully they are a bit more easy on pleasurecraft!

You might browse the Issues and Answers section of the Phuket Gazette, or post the question over there. Lots of Farang boaters over there, plus the officials are much more knowledgable about the marine law concerning Farangs.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ef=200571520937

This one will answer a part of your question!!!

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=707

Also, the way the owners of boats in Pattaya work around these requirements is the take along a licensed Thai person. At the Bali Hai pier in South Pattaya, the organizations charge 500 Baht/day for a captain. He just has to be on board and you're covered!

This too interests me. I grew up off shore fishing off the gulf of Texas, and I may want to get a 24ft off shore sport fishing rig. Ohh that would be awesome. Other than money, what other types of provisions are needed?

Plan on buying a boat later this year as I have a waterside property.

Can't say I've heard the need for a Thai 'Captain' before thought that was for commercial use.If it is right maybe I can get round it as it is very likely there will be at least one Thai on board who could be nominated captain.

Can't say I've heard the need for a Thai 'Captain' before thought that was for commercial use.If it is right maybe I can get round it as it is very likely there will be at least one Thai on board who could be nominated captain.

As I don't have a drivers license I will give this strategy a try when renting a car in Bangkok but not sure they will go for a "nominated" driver. :o

They do issue Helmsmans Licenses to falangs in Phuket. Have anyone had a license issued in Pattaya or Bangkok and if so where was this done and what were the requirements?

In Pattaya they won't give them to Farangs. They get payed off by the local speedboat maffia not to issue them, since there are quite a few of the boats owned by farangs here. Their 500 Baht/day helmsmen would be out of work!

At this moment the maritime department is the most corrupt piece of the Thai government (they've taken the lead after a clean-up at customs)

Count on paying 50000 Baht for a 10000 Baht piece of paper :o