Foreigners Can Own One Rai Of Land In Thailand

An article today from the publication that we are prohibited to discuss here states among other things that:

"However, the Land Code has been amended with Section 96 bis providing that since Jan 19, 2002, an alien is allowed to purchase land in Thailand for residential purposes with a maximum of one rai if they can meet certain conditions."

Please google it.

Now this is news to me! So as a foreigner, I can go buy one rai of land and a house today? This just doesn't seem right. Any ideas what they are on about?

Invest 40 million Baht with BOI approval. Then get you permission. Easy. Now, where did I put that suitcase full of cash?

im gutted i have the 40 mill but then i have no money left to buy the 1 rai beachfront land that they want 20 mill for...................5555555..:D

Invest 40 million Baht with BOI approval. Then get you permission. Easy. Now, where did I put that suitcase full of cash?

im gutted i have the 40 mill but then i have no money left to buy the 1 rai beachfront land that they want 20 mill for...................5555555..:D

Oh, so after 20 years here, learning the language, working, paying tax, supporting a Thai family, the Thais are kind enough to allow me to own one rai of land and all I need to do is invest 40 million Baht. Why, no matter how long I spend here, do I never really feel welcome or accepted?

• Like 1

Oh, so after 20 years here, learning the language, working, paying tax, supporting a Thai family, the Thais are kind enough to allow me to own one rai of land and all I need to do is invest 40 million Baht. Why, no matter how long I spend here, do I never really feel welcome or accepted?

But you can get citezenship after 5 years or more and purchase as much land/property as you like, if you are too lazy to bother then you wont be able to reap the benefits

You mean the Bangkok Post. You can mention it but can not quote from it. The subject you are referring to has been beating to death on Thai Visa.

This subject has indeed been beaten to death and the fact remains the same - Falangs cannot own land in Thailand.

If there is a Falang out there owning land, please come forward and introduce yourself , because I have never met one.

This is actually described in the Land Code Amendment Act (No. 8) of the 10th of May 2542 (1999).

The wording is:

Section 96 bis The provisions of an alien who may acquire land by virtue of the provision of a treaty under Section 86 paragraph one shall not apply to alien who bring money to invest as amount specified in the Ministerial Regulation which not less than forty million baht. Thus, an alien shall acquire the land for residence not more than one rai and shall obtain permission from the Minister.

The acquisition of land of an alien in paragraph one shall be in accordance with the rules, procedures and conditions prescribed in the Ministerial Regulation in which shall contain at least the following essential matters:

(1) The type of business invested by an alien shall be beneficial to the economic and social of the country or shall be eligible to obtain the promotion of investment pursuant to the Investment Promotion Law as declared by the Board of Investment.

(2) The investment period needs to be maintained not less than three years.

(3) The location of land permitted for acquisition shall not beyond the confines of Bangkok, Pattaya, Municipality of land specified for residence purpose provided by the law of Town and Country Planning.

i.e. nothing new and I have never heard of anyone who has got permission to buy one rai this way.

Edited by stgrhe

But you can get citezenship after 5 years or more and purchase as much land/property as you like, if you are too lazy to bother then you wont be able to reap the benefits

Are you saying that you have purchased land in your name? If so, would you be so kind as to explain in detail how you did it as I think there are many people who would like to do the same.

TheWalkingMan

Are you saying that you have purchased land in your name? If so, would you be so kind as to explain in detail how you did it as I think there are many people who would like to do the same.

TheWalkingMan

And ESB7 please don't jump to conclusions about me. I am not lazy, but I do NOT wish to become a Thai citizen. As someone who has lived here for quite some time, is married to a Thai national, and pays taxes, I do wish to own ONE rai of land with a house. The fact that even this is out of the question unless I give up my own citizenship leads me to the conclusion that the Thais (at least the ones at the top) are a xenophobic lot who want my money, but not me.

Are you saying that you have purchased land in your name?  If so, would you be so kind as to explain in detail how you did it as I think there are many people who would like to do the same.

TheWalkingMan

And ESB7 please don't jump to conclusions about me. I am not lazy, but I do NOT wish to become a Thai citizen. As someone who has lived here for quite some time, is married to a Thai national, and pays taxes, I do wish to own ONE rai of land with a house. The fact that even this is out of the question unless I give up my own citizenship leads me to the conclusion that the Thais (at least the ones at the top) are a xenophobic lot who want my money, but not me.

Why would you need to give up your current citizenship. Thai law does not require this. Maybe your home country does?

Are you saying that you have purchased land in your name?  If so, would you be so kind as to explain in detail how you did it as I think there are many people who would like to do the same.

TheWalkingMan

Why would you need to give up your current citizenship. Thai law does not require this. Maybe your home country does?

Yep. The more I think about it, the more unbelievable it is to me that one rai with one house cannot be owned by a foreigner married to a Thai national. I guess I finally realize where my place is here.

of couse , you are an alien , and allways will be farang .

It's specifically not allowed to be beachfront land.

Also, 40m baht is the MINIMUM, and it needs to be with BoI approval. i.e. I think it's really to allow the CEO of a company that is setting up a big factory here (Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Seagate, etc.) to have a house here if they want.

It's not for regular people...

As for the person with the Thai wife... - Either trust your wife and give her the money to buy the home (or give her the deposit and be a guarantor of the mortgage for her), or buy a condo if you must buy in your own name.

• 1 month later...

so if Ive been here for 5 years I can apply for citizenshi[p and buy land...?

Well Ive been here on tourist visas and non imm o's for about 3, will that make a difference...?

Does that mean in 2 years I can apply..?

Let me guess, Im missing something :-)

Well Ive been here on tourist visas and non imm o's for about 3, will that make a difference...?

You guessed right, you're missing tax payments.

Edit: unless you're a female married to a Thai. And it's permanent residence (PR) not citizenship.

Edited by PattayaParent

You guessed right, you're missing tax payments.

Edit: unless you're a female married to a Thai. And it's permanent residence (PR) not citizenship.

For single men, you first need to get a PR. If you are married to a Thai, you can apply for citizenship without the need for PR. There is a wonderful thread in TV which gives loads of interesting info on the topic of citizenship.

Edited by GarryP

This subject has indeed been beaten to death and the fact remains the same - Falangs cannot own land in Thailand.

If there is a Falang out there owning land, please come forward and introduce yourself , because I have never met one.

That should read "Aliens/Foreigners Cannot Own Land in Thailand". Bill Heinecke, a "farang", owns quite a bit.

For single men, you first need to get a PR. If you are married to a Thai, you can apply for citizenship without the need for PR. There is a wonderful thread in TV which gives loads of interesting info on the topic of citizenship.

That's news to me.

Why don't all these foreigners with Thai wives get citizenship and put the land in their own name?

Seems it would solve a lot of problems? and cut down the number of posts on ThaiVisa by half.

That's news to me.

Why don't all these foreigners with Thai wives get citizenship and put the land in their own name?

Seems it would solve a lot of problems? and cut down the number of posts on ThaiVisa by half.

Because there is a great difference between applying for Thai citizenship and having citizenship granted.

That's news to me.

Because there is a great difference between applying for Thai citizenship and having citizenship granted.

But I've never read of any of those posters that lost 'their' land and house to the Thai wife complaining that they were not granted Thai citizenship after having applied for it.

Maybe you could advise us of the difficulties and obstacles?

Edited by PattayaParent