Pattaya Today Newspaper

jamiej

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I am looking for some information about Pattaya Today Newspaper. I went to their office today and it was closed and a sign was there saying the office was up for rent.

I tried to contact Peter Read, the owner of the paper and his phone has been switched off for a few days now. I am worried because I advertise in the paper and have paid for 6 months upfront.

Has the paper gone out of business, does anyone have any information about this please.

Thanks,

Jamie

Let me try again:

I went to their office (the one and only one they have on the Sukumvit Road) and it was closed with a sign on the front saying office for rent). Telephone numbers don't work anymore.

Yes, the website is still online but I am more concerned about their lack of office and lack of people inside.

Can anyone help with information please?

Jamie

Interesting, they've only been on that address about a year or so.

Last news update on their website was 26 August, a week ago. Maybe they folded, it's surely been a hard time for businesses in Pattaya the last half year.

Also weird but my browser starts playing music when I go to their website, apparently no way to stop it short of leaving the page again (Chrome). That'll surely get rid of viewers quickly. Maybe they've been hacked. Again.

Edited by Phil Conners

That's sad, i liked that paper, but i always found weird that the Moderators on their forum were apparently all looking for a job (directly on their forum), i hope they will get back to normal operations again.

I'm not sure if it was the Pattaya Today, but I read a couple of weeks ago, in a Pattaya newspaper, that instead of a weekly newspaper it's changed to a 2-week newspaper.

The advertisers will be compansated with an extended period of advertising, but again: Not sure whether it was the PTN.

Pattaya today was a two weekly paper, always has been (first and 16th of every month).

Indeed, I do not recall getting the last one (1/9/2010) from the paper delivery boy!

A petty indeed, I found them to be much better then the other 2 main Pattaya papers.

They've had some major issues recently and lost some of their best writers. A case in point is Duncan Stearn's 'Nightmarch' column, which now appears in the Pattaya Trader every month. I haven't noticed Peter Lloyd writing his columns in Pattaya Today for a while, either. In fact, the last two copies have contained so little of interest that I've switched to Pattaya Mail instead. Does anyone know what the arguments between the owner/editor and the writers was all about?

Last news update on their website was 26 August, a week ago. Maybe they folded, it's surely been a hard time for businesses in Pattaya the last half year.

Also weird but my browser starts playing music when I go to their website, apparently no way to stop it short of leaving the page again (Chrome). That'll surely get rid of viewers quickly. Maybe they've been hacked. Again.

Ive just had a look, the last news update was the 3rd sept.

That music is well annoying, luckily adblock plus allows me to permanently block it.

I also tried ringing their number, it works.

Ive just had a look, the last news update was the 3rd sept.

That music is well annoying, luckily adblock plus allows me to permanently block it.

I also tried ringing their number, it works.

Where did you see that news from 3rd September? Most of the news are from back in June. The latest I can find is under Pattaya News and is from 26 August.

Edited by Phil Conners

They've had some major issues recently and lost some of their best writers. A case in point is Duncan Stearn's 'Nightmarch' column, which now appears in the Pattaya Trader every month. I haven't noticed Peter Lloyd writing his columns in Pattaya Today for a while, either. In fact, the last two copies have contained so little of interest that I've switched to Pattaya Mail instead. Does anyone know what the arguments between the owner/editor and the writers was all about?

I understand that the writers (at least some of them) were not being paid. Sounds like there were some cashflow problems at the paper. I'd not be surprised to hear that they have gone out of business. It was a great read until about 6 months ago. Since then it went downhill and I stopped buying it.

From what I've been able to surmise, something is definitely happening at Pattaya Today. I hadn't seen any updates to any of the featured columns since June 19th. I had sent an email to Handy Andy asking why I couldn't access his column Ask Andy or any of the other featured columns. This was his response on August 22:

As to the Web site, I didn't know there was a problem until you pointed it out. Initially I thought it was the redesigned Web site that posed the problem. And it may be.

Try this to access Andy--or anything else, go to: www.pattayatoday.net

That will take you to the new Web site BUT not to a direct link with Andy.

I could find Andy only by clicking on the icon for viewing the latest edition (right hand side, upper part of page), then scanning thru successive pages to the Property Section, then enlarging the copy until it's legible.

The new Web site is more attractive but accessing columns is not nearly as convenient.

As to 'Fool,' Neil is no longer writing for Pattaya Today. Neither is Duncan ('Nightmarch') nor Peter ('Pete's Peregrinations'), Alan Brown and others. In fact, I might be the only columnist still with the publication.

Like everywhere else in Thailand and Pattaya, many businesses are finding it very difficult to survive and business models are changing. I guess the same applies to the publications. The baht is rising in value, costs are soaring, tourists levels are dropping, expats are leaving, revenues are declining, and businesses are closing. Only those able (or strong enough) to ride it out will survive over the next few years.

Thailand, including Pattaya, is changing in a very different way. Personally, I do not see the light and the end of the tunnel anytime soon.

I surely hope that Pattaya Today doesn't go under. I like it much better than Pattaya Mail, which seemed to me like a rag just for members of the expat clubs of Pattaya.

I guess we will find out more as time passes.

Edited by BB1950

Thanks for the info, it really does sound as if the paper has gone belly up. I stopped buying Pattaya Mail years back as there was so little of interest in it, and like most of my expat friends I never missed a copy of Today. At 25 Baht a time and just twice monthly instead of weekly, it was good value. We even used to keep it for each other when we were out of the country. Sad, but if they've lost all their columnists then it seems to me that they are scuppered. The Mail is better than nothing now, I suppose, but at 30 Baht a week and lacking anything risqué, it's not great.

So the best read around town now is definitely Pattaya Trader, especially the 'After Hours' supplement. Also, as they say, the price is right... ;)

Hi, jamiej

And hello to all others interested in Pattaya Today. The paper is indeed alive and well. (Maybe not so well, but alive.)

There is a new issue out as of Sept 1. It includes none of those popular (and some not so popular) columns that have appeared for years. A new managing director is taking over and the former chief is rumored to have left the Kingdom.

Your ads will continue to appear, Jamiej...not to worry. Some revamping will take place and it should be for the better.

The fact is that the former owner (who took control only two years ago) was having personal and financial problems which led to the decline in quality. Two former employees have returned and will get things back on track within a matter of days. Not sure we'll again see Handy Andy or Kris & Noi (I know we will not see Nightmarch which is now in Pattaya Trader and Pattaya Times).

The office still is where it has been for the last five years. I think they may be trying to rent a portion of it.

Edited by PaulDee

I live in Bangkok but when I am in Pattaya, Pattaya Today used to be my newspaper of choice.

Last time I was there, I read it and none of the good columnists were in it. Instead, it was full of rubbish about UFOs and life in other galaxies. I first thought it was a joke, but it wasn't funny in the slightest. It was as though The Glitterman was writing it.

Now I may have to go back to the Mail, which is a very dull but businesslike read.

Has anyone read the Pattaya Times? I tried to find it but it was either sold out or nobody bothers to stock it.

Thanks for your replies and although I am relieved the paper has not folder (yet), I am dissapointed to hear that they have lost all their writers. It was columnists like Peter Lloyd and Kris & Noi that really added some spice to the paper. Without good quality columnists I will be taking my advertising elsewhere for sure as I feel there is nothing left to enjoy in Pattaya Today. I have also heard from others who advertise there that the paper owes millions of baht to printers and others, don't know if this is true but this is what I am being told.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what is the best read in Pattaya at the moment, it would be good to hear from readers rather than other advertisers about what they read and why. Not really interested too much in local news because you can get that on the web, I want to see good columns. By the way, don't even mention Pattaya People Weekly, that trash is not worthy of being called a newspaper. Their new layout and graphics are shockingly amateur.

Your feedback please

Thanks,

Jamie

Thanks for your replies and although I am relieved the paper has not folder (yet), I am dissapointed to hear that they have lost all their writers. It was columnists like Peter Lloyd and Kris & Noi that really added some spice to the paper. Without good quality columnists I will be taking my advertising elsewhere for sure as I feel there is nothing left to enjoy in Pattaya Today. I have also heard from others who advertise there that the paper owes millions of baht to printers and others, don't know if this is true but this is what I am being told.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what is the best read in Pattaya at the moment, it would be good to hear from readers rather than other advertisers about what they read and why. Not really interested too much in local news because you can get that on the web, I want to see good columns. By the way, don't even mention Pattaya People Weekly, that trash is not worthy of being called a newspaper. Their new layout and graphics are shockingly amateur.

Your feedback please

Thanks,

Jamie

Simple there isn't one. Some occasionally entertaining columns in Expat mag or the Trader and thats about it. The "newspapers " all seem to be mouth pieces for their owners to say how great they are and what huge sponsors of charity their organisations are. I can't think I am the only one who sees it this way.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what is the best read in Pattaya at the moment, it would be good to hear from readers rather than other advertisers about what they read and why

The Pattaya Daily News is one of the better English language newspapers when it comes to local news and it is the only paper of its kind that launches investigations that appear genuine. It has run several human interest stories that advocate on behalf of those that need a hand. To be blunt, why read the national based publications when you can get 90% of the same stories off of Reuters or the AP yourself? The PDN provides a good eye on local happenings balanced to act as a booster of local business interests. It is unbiased and neutral when it comes to the Red vs. Yellow clashes.

Yes, there is usually a lead crime story but in today's competitive news market, one needs something to attract readers. Yes it runs the usual finger pointing photos, but I actually believe it's a public service. One look at those mugs and you are going to behave yourself so you don't end up on the front page as the man with a fanny/bum bag that was mugged by a 40 kilo kathoey. I admire the courage of a paper and an editor that has the courage to print “JUSTICE FOR SALE IS NO JUSTICE AT ALL” (Warina Punyawan, Editor-In-Chief). Considering the political climate and extent of corruption, this editor is a hero and deserving or support and respect.

I have no financial interest in the PDN. Compared to the local crap on Phukem, the PDN is a much better read, both in terms of integrity, particularly perceived conflicts of interest, and in quality. The offering of a Russian news service was a brilliant business move as well. Pattaya's Russians include alot of very wealthy people who do read the online version. Could the paper be better? Sure, but give them any news source in Thailand today an extra 1MM in revenue per month and they can hire more reporters etc. Considering the tough market they are in, Pattaya residents are lucky to have the PDN.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Simple there isn't one. Some occasionally entertaining columns in Expat mag or the Trader and thats about it. The "newspapers " all seem to be mouth pieces for their owners to say how great they are and what huge sponsors of charity their organisations are. I can't think I am the only one who sees it this way.

No you're not the only one. I concur 100% ;)

I live in Bangkok but when I am in Pattaya, Pattaya Today used to be my newspaper of choice.

Last time I was there, I read it and none of the good columnists were in it. Instead, it was full of rubbish about UFOs and life in other galaxies. I first thought it was a joke, but it wasn't funny in the slightest. It was as though The Glitterman was writing it.

Now I may have to go back to the Mail, which is a very dull but businesslike read.

Has anyone read the Pattaya Times? I tried to find it but it was either sold out or nobody bothers to stock it.

I have enjoyed reading the Pattaya times in the past. Not in Pattaya right now but will but it again when I return. At the time it was clearly the best paper in Pattaya.

Your feedback please

Thanks,

Jamie

'Jamie', the best read newspaper in Pattaya is Pattaya Mail.

It's Fun Town's most vibrant, been around the longest, is most respected, and has

some great columns.

Edited by Rimmer