Where Did Everybody Go?

tabs053

Having seen a topic about the disappearance of a member called Naam in the General forum, It occurred to me that there are plenty of no-shows on the Chiang Mai forum lately. I've been following it for quite a time but now It seems very quiet, and boring. Not much banter or fun being had, just a few posts asking for the usual 'where can I buy a .......". At this moment 7 of the first 10 posts fall into this category

I'm told that the Chiang Mai forum on TV used to be one of the most popular but I doubt if that is the case nowadays.

If traffic is down, and people aren't posting as much, I would have thought that an open discussion as to why that is would be welcome, but somehow I get the impression that this topic will go nowhere because very quickly it will be closed. Most good businesses welcome customer feedback, but other than sending PM's to the Mods, open discussion here is frowned upon, right?

• Like 1

We are all still here, but these days it's more than dufficult to find the actual posts because of the barrage of adverising on every post. Management seems far more interested in revenue than what the actual concept of a Thai forum really meant. Sadly, as soon as a business becomes a money making venture, the poster comes a very poor second!!

Edited by Maejo Man

We are all still here, but these days it's more than dufficult to find the actual posts because of the barrage of adverising on every post. Management seems far more interested in revenue than what the actual concept of a Thai forum really meant. Sadly, as soon as a business becomes a money making venture, the poster comes a very poor second!!

I don`t see it this way at all. If people have something reasonable to say, there is nothing stopping them from opening a thread. The ads never bother me, just ignore them.

Perhaps it`s because there is not much happening of interest in Thailand and all the best topics have all ready been covered, Girls, best and worst restaurants, politics, farang issues and lots of other things.

Perhaps everyone has simply become bored.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I'm not sure that 'open' discussion is frowned upon, unless it contravenes what appears to be a very strict set of rules that the mods have to follow. There have over the years been vibrant discussions that were closed down too soon (IMO) and sometimes it would be nice to see where some of these discussions are actually going. Sometimes a person would post something and it might not be strictly Chiang Mai based, but nevertheless very interesting.....but out there, is someone who is watching 24/7 (not a mod) and has a flashing red light which alerts him or her to such cases. Personally, if something is of benefit to people in general it doesn't bother me one iota if it's not Chiang Mai based, this isn't the centre of the universe as some people think.

I'm not sure that 'open' discussion is frowned upon, unless it contravenes what appears to be a very strict set of rules that the mods have to follow. There have over the years been vibrant discussions that were closed down too soon (IMO) and sometimes it would be nice to see where some of these discussions are actually going. Sometimes a person would post something and it might not be strictly Chiang Mai based, but nevertheless very interesting.....but out there, is someone who is watching 24/7 (not a mod) and has a flashing red light which alerts him or her to such cases. Personally, if something is of benefit to people in general it doesn't bother me one iota if it's not Chiang Mai based, this isn't the centre of the universe as some people think.

By 'open discussion' I mean talking about moderation. I understand that a conversation about a specific moderators action is not allowed but is a discussion about moderation in general allowed. I think not. You mentioned it - topics closed because someone decided it was not strictly about Chiang Mai. I've also seen topics closed because a mod decided that it had run it's course. If a topic has run it's course it will fall down the page and disappear by itself, but so long as some people are still interested, why close it? I personally think that too many posts are closed or over-regulated to the point that no-one posts anything interesting or amusing anymore because they know it will be closed.

I know a guy who said he used to spend his lunch-time being entertained by TVisa when he was back home working. He said that these days, it gives it a quick look then logs off because there is nothing of any interest. I tend to agree.

Is it because of over Moderation? I think so, and hopefully those at the top on TV want to know that.

• Like 1

Is it because of over Moderation? I think so, and hopefully those at the top on TV want to know that.

Here is your answer since you haven't apparently read the forum rule on it:

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues.

And since this has started going down that road (not unexpected actually) - Closed

• Like 1