Visa Run To Laos

hi all - im here in thailand on a non - imm o visa which is valid for a year - my first 90 days here will be up in about a fortnight so i know i have to leave thailand and re-enter - my nearest place to go to do the border crossing will be laos as i am in khon kaen -i am only intending staying in thailand for a further 15 days after i go to laos so what visa do i need to get in laos ? - i know i must get my visa for entry into laos here in khon kaen which is no problem.

my couple of questions are

what documents will they want producing in laos and what visa do i need to get as i will only wanting to be staying on in thailand a further 15 days.

also the bus from khon kaen to vientianne - is there always space on it or is it usually full -

do i need to stay in vientianne overnight or can i come back the same day

thanks in advance for your help

oh so is it just a case of getting the visa in khon kaen to get into laos - jump on the bus - cross the border then come back ? no need to go to the thai embassy in laos?

You don't need to stay in Vientiane, you can come back the same day.

They will give you 90 days stay in Thailand with your current visa, so no need to get a visa in Laos.

You don’t even need to pre-purchase your Lao visa in Khon Kaen if you don’t wanna, as they sell ‘em at the Lao border when you enter from Nong Khai.

Although having a Lao visa in your passport can speed your trip into Lao because sometimes that border crossing is a total cluster-fu_ck with people tryin to get in. :blink:

With the amount of foreigners crossing that border you’d think it was Disney Land or something, instead of what it really is; a communist third world country. :o

As has been pointed out, you don’t need to stay in Lao for any length of time, just stamp outta thailand, cross the border into Lao, stamp in, stamp out, and you can re-enter thailand getting another 90 day stamp on your non-O visa.

You don't even need to pre-purchase your Lao visa in Khon Kaen if you don't wanna, as they sell 'em at the Lao border when you enter from Nong Khai.

Although having a Lao visa in your passport can speed your trip into Lao because sometimes that border crossing is a total cluster-fu_ck with people tryin to get in. :blink:

With the amount of foreigners crossing that border you'd think it was Disney Land or something, instead of what it really is; a communist third world country. :o

As has been pointed out, you don't need to stay in Lao for any length of time, just stamp outta thailand, cross the border into Lao, stamp in, stamp out, and you can re-enter thailand getting another 90 day stamp on your non-O visa.

Lately their have been very few crossing the border, at 5 p.m I was the lone foreigner, most are Thais or Laotians who work or visit both sides regularly. Took ten minutes to get the visa there at Vientiane.

Sorry,

I should have said, EARLY IN THE MORNING, it can be quite the hassle to cross the border, especially right when it opens. All the visa run companies are there with their clients, and there's a plethora of tourists crossing then too.

Later in the day, I dunno and would most likely heed the advice from the poster known as "Colabamumbai".

Sorry,

I should have said, EARLY IN THE MORNING, it can be quite the hassle to cross the border, especially right when it opens. All the visa run companies are there with their clients, and there's a plethora of tourists crossing then too.

Later in the day, I dunno and would most likely heed the advice from the poster known as "Colabamumbai".

I crossed back into Thailand at 7a.m. There were 5 Thai or Laotian women in front of me with id cards, spent less than 5 minutes at Thai immigration, I have multiple entry visa. Saw one sleepy guy sitting by the baggage ex ray machine, that did not look like it worked, I asked him if wanted to check my bag and he said no. That was just my experience, on an other day I'm sure that it could have been quite different.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Get a Tuk Tuk to take you upto the friendship bridge border, dont put up with any hassle from any wannabe "helpers" that will surround you you dont need anything from them so just smile and walk on, Stamp out of Thailand, get the 20 baht bus across the bridge, get off the bus walk to the Visa on Entry window No1, get the form fill it in and hand it back with your passport and a passport size photo. Pay your money, its better if you can get and pay with US dollars if you can as you will pay more in Thai baht (1500). Wait at the second window for them to call you with your passport and visa inside. Walk straight ahead through any queues as you have already been stamped into Laos with your Visa. When you get to the endof that building there will be loads of touts trying to sell you a ride to Vientienne, if you dont want it or need that just turn left,walk back down the other side of the building, stamp out of Laos and buy your bus ticket back to Thailand (20 baht). Get off the bus on the Thai side and fill in your Entry card, stamp into thailand and you should get a 90 day stamp if you have a 1 year Non O multi visa.

The whole process based on my several trips takes around 30 minutes - 1 hr if you are just stamping out and returning straight away, thats based on me crossing between 2-3 pm in the afternoon.

Hope this helped.

Edited by CharlieH

You don’t even need to pre-purchase your Lao visa in Khon Kaen if you don’t wanna, as they sell ‘em at the Lao border when you enter from Nong Khai.

Not true in this case. The original poster was asking about taking the bus from Khon Kaen to Vientienne. To take that bus (which crosses the border and takes you into downtown Vientienne) they require you have a Lao visa before boarding the bus in Khon Kaen.

I have not take this bus, but have a friend that has. My only concern about the original poster's plan would be about how to quickly rejoin the bus going back to Thailand and Khon Kaen? He rides the bus across the border into Laos, gets off to go through immigration, then parts from the bus that continues on into Vientienne. He can easily turn around and head back into Thailand, catching one of those little busses that takes you to the border (for about 10 baht.) But after he gets back through Thai immigration, I'm not sure how easy (or frequent) those busses coming through are (from Vientienne Laos to Khon Kaen). He might have a considerable wait at the Thai border to get back on one of these busses (if they even let him get on from there.) Otherwise, he may need to get to the NongKhai bus station to get something into Udon and/or Khon Kaen. Last I heard, there are two busses a day from Khon Kaen to Laos. (I would assume the same is true for Laos to Khon Kaen.) I believe there are also some busses that run between Udon Thani and Laos, but I don't know about their frequency.

If the Khon Kaen>Vientienne bus does a fairly quick turn in Vientienne (to go back to Khon Kaen), he may be better off to stay with the bus after going through Lao immigration, go into town, and be ready for the bus departing back to Khon Kaen. If there's a little time to kill, grab some lunch or something.