Retirement Checks

Both my wife and I will be getting Social Security checks when we move there next year. Also my 2 other retirement checks. Will be forced to send them to the American Embassy in Chiangmai and then we have to go get them to prove every month we are alive or can they be sent directly to Bangkok bank?

Thanks for any responses.

I would suggest you have your money direct deposited to a Fidelity Investments MySmart Cash account in the USA. Then use the ATM card they give you to make withdrawals at ATM's in Thailand. Fidelity will reimburse you your ATM fees.

I would suggest you have your money direct deposited to a Fidelity Investments MySmart Cash account in the USA. Then use the ATM card they give you to make withdrawals at ATM's in Thailand. Fidelity will reimburse you your ATM fees.

Agree with direct deposit to a U.S. bank, altho I have no idea about Fidelity.

It's a hassle if you have checks sent via the Consulate either in Bangkok of C. Mai, delays receipt by a bit and check have been know to get lost (not necessarily stolen) in the State pouch system or the Thai mails to your house, and takes time to get them replaced. Has happened to friends.

I retired in 1992 and have been going the ATM route since then. Also just write a U.S. $$$ check at your local Thai bank for deposit to your baht account. The Thai bank will hold access for perhaps 45 days but this isn't a problem once you get on a roll of doing this monthly. Siam Commercial Bank charges just baht 203 (including the tax stamp) for this, and you get a good exchange rate. Been doing this, too, since 1992.

Mac

I have had the same permanent home address in Canada for over 20 years , all of my important paper work goes to or from there , my personal bank has been in the same area for the same period of time . My retirement checks go by direct deposit to this bank and I draw funds from local ATMs wherever I may happen to be on close to the same dates , this has kept the computer base with the government very happy because I have been stable , anything untoward and it seems the computer spits out a return at tax time for hand checking . This may not be the most prudent in as far as garnering the last dime may be concerned , but I have always been more concerned about government sticking thier nose in .

Kions is spot on but perhaps not perfectly clear ..... Bangkok bank has a branch in NYC, that means you can have your checks deposited in The bangkok bank branch in new york city and save yourself some fees. I don't know if it was clear in his post that Bangkok Bank has an American branch office.

Kions is spot on but perhaps not perfectly clear ..... Bangkok bank has a branch in NYC, that means you can have your checks deposited in The bangkok bank branch in new york city and save yourself some fees. I don't know if it was clear in his post that Bangkok Bank has an American branch office.

Actually the way it works for me is I transfer from my U.S. bank checking account to Bangkok Bank in Thailand. The funds go through the New York branch of Bangkok Bank on the way to my account in Thailand, but I never opened an account at the Bangkok Bank New York branch. Also, then when you use the the Bangkok Bank ATM card, you don't have to pay the 150 Baht fee they charge for Foreign ATM cards. There are of course fees involved in transferring by internet, but they are quite reasonable and are posted at the website. You also get whatever the wire exchange rate is as quoted on whatever day the the money is converted to baht. It takes a few days.

Have you tried using the US Banks bill pay feature ? It's free and uses an ECN so you might be able to avoid those fees, Bill pay will send a check which is not what anyone wants of course but if the receiver can receive an ECN they send it that way. I use it to transfer for free between Stock accounts and US bank but not sure if it works internationally..... for free...... but don't see why it wouldn't

You will want to keep a US account open but as you have other checks I would use them to fund that account and direct deposit SS to your Bangkok Bank Thailand account. This requires a special no atm access account per US Government requirements but only requires you to visit local bank when you wish to withdraw funds/move to ATM card account. Only Bangkok Bank is authorized for direct deposit of US Government checks. Believe they have full information on there web site.

I want to thank everyone here for the quick and knowledgeable answers. Due to our circumstances, we will not be living paycheck to paycheck and want to make this process as easy as possible for my wife. She has no clue on computers, bank transfers, etc. The easiest and best route for us will be to have the checks sent to the local Bangkok bank. Will never need an ATM card or a need to write checks. I guess the best place to find out the specifics will be calling the NY Bangkok bank. Also 401k money to be transferred in it.

You do not deal with Bangkok Bank New York - you have to have an account in a Thailand located Bangkok Bank.

You likely will want to have a second account with ATM/debit card access in Thailand as that is important for easy access to money here. You should also keep credit card/debit card for US account as you are likely to have mail order or other bills that need payment and this account can also be used for tax refunds/insurance payments and such.