Pet Euthanasia In Cm

DavidOxon

~

Putting a family pet down is always VERY difficult and I am truly sorry for your stress but my dog seems to be taking the news easily.

Having had, bred and trained dogs for a hundred years (my current age), I always did my own.

I would personally prefer to cross that threshold at home with family/friends than by lethal injection in some clinic.

I have always found veterinarians very helpful in providing the means for you to administer at home and have also heard

from many people that a couple/few human blood pressure tabs passes them on very gently indeed.

Just me I suppose but I would rather have my beloved friend in my lap at home at a time like that

rather than subject them to a cold and sterile environment in their last few moments of life.

Boo-Boo may appreciate that as well...

~

I agree with everything you say and if it's possible to put your beloved friend down at home and do it personally then that's the way to go.

However, I have heard of a couple of cases where the 'stuff' didn't work as people thought (for whatever reason) and caused the animal and owner great distress. One owner smashed the dog over the head with an iron bar because it seemed to be having a great seizure and the owner just freaked out.......he remembers this incident daily and will until he dies. :(

• Sad 2

I agree with everything you say and if it's possible to put your beloved friend down at home and do it personally then that's the way to go.

However, I have heard of a couple of cases where the 'stuff' didn't work as people thought (for whatever reason) and caused the animal and owner great distress. One owner smashed the dog over the head with an iron bar because it seemed to be having a great seizure and the owner just freaked out.......he remembers this incident daily and will until he dies. :(

Yeah, I had to do the very same with my Grandma but Grandpa consoled me by saying that it was all for the best...

• Haha 1

I do not understand why you haven't already asked the vet at Ban Mha ka Meaw who is currently treating her, or did you?

They do euthanize pets, but only when treatment doesn't work anymore and the dog is suffering. They also will go to people's houses.

I saw your dog just two days ago, and although her hind quarters definitely aren't good at all, she didn't give the impression she was ready to go. She does need a lot of extra care, though. But then, I saw her only briefly and you see her day and night.

Ban Mha ka Meaw also provides the service of cremating pets.

• Thanks 1

I do not understand why you haven't already asked the vet at Ban Mha ka Meaw who is currently treating her, or did you?

They do euthanize pets, but only when treatment doesn't work anymore and the dog is suffering. They also will go to people's houses.

I saw your dog just two days ago, and although her hind quarters definitely aren't good at all, she didn't give the impression she was ready to go. She does need a lot of extra care, though. But then, I saw her only briefly and you see her day and night.

Ban Mha ka Meaw also provides the service of cremating pets.

Hi Nienke, just wanted to get an idea of what protocol was in a Bhuddist country.

Little Boo Boo was worse this morning and I felt that the care she got yesterday, 7 days tablets,

and no return appointment was supposed to be a clue as to how long they thought she'd last!

My wife took her to CMU vet dept this morning where she was diagnosed with worms in her red blood cells

and possible hip displacia after blood tests and xray. And an appointment to return on Thursday...

fingers crossed!

david

• Agree 1

Our vet in the U.S. came to our home (with an assistant) when it was time for our elderly cat to go. They offered to do this and much to our surprise refused to accept any money for their house call. It was such a comfort to us (and the cat) since cats really don't handle traveling well. Perhaps your usual vet here would do the same when the time comes.

she was diagnosed with worms in her red blood cells and possible hip displacia after blood tests and xray.

fingers crossed!

david

Worms in her red blood cells? Protozoa? Some feed on red blood cells. If so, ask the vet if it can be transmitted to people.

Sure enough fingers crossed that they will find out what it is soon, so she can be treated accordingly. Boo boo is an adorable little dog, and it was obvious how much attached she is to you. :)

• 13 years later...

A friend of mine had to euthanise one of his dogs. The vet said no but told my friend the drug which he had to buy and take back to the vet. The vet then put the hypodermic with the drug in it into the dog and my friend had to actually push the plunger to inject the life ending drug. He said was hard enough euthanising his beloved pet but knowing he actually ended its life was so hard on him.

Vet not really doing their job if they refuse.

My dog suffered terribly with aggressive cancer.  The vet's in Samui had no sympathy because of their beliefs.  I found a local mobile Russian vet who kindly came to my home and helped my baby boy to sleep.  Thank God for her.  Obviously she's too far from you but I found her on a local FB pets group.  Maybe hopefully there is someone like her near you.  Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

A friend of mine had to euthanise one of his dogs. The vet said no but told my friend the drug which he had to buy and take back to the vet. The vet then put the hypodermic with the drug in it into the dog and my friend had to actually push the plunger to inject the life ending drug. He said was hard enough euthanising his beloved pet but knowing he actually ended its life was so hard on him.

Vet not really doing their job if they refuse.

A friend had an experience that sounded very similar to this. Looking after a dog that a Thai missus and vet refuse to euthanase is not fun.  I had this experience for 3 months with a beloved 16 year old dog and it was horrible to watch but our maid lovingly nursed and took care of her till the end when she couldn't walk any more and had difficulty eating and holding down food.  Finally she was able to eat a hearty last meal and seemed to feel better but keeled over and died to our great relief. I wouldn't wish that on any dog or dog owner and I am still wary of having another dog in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I lost my 13 y.o. dog in June. He refused to eat anything that we gave him. Vet found no reason for his refusal to eat so it just seemed his time had come. We offered him his old favourites but he got thinner and weaker by the day. Euthanasia was refused by our vet. Although he was largely immobile in what turned out to be his last days, he managed to find a place in the garden that he very rarely visited and he just collapsed there and died. Sadly, that was while we were away from home for a while although our son was looking after him as much as he could. He's now buried in that spot. It was heartbreaking to see him pass and be unable to help him but, since it seemed that, effectively, he starved to death as much as anything else, it was a relief - for both of us, I believe. He was a good lad and had a happy life, I think. I still have one dog - his daughter - who's now 10. I hope the vet's attitude to euthanasia changes by the time it's her time to go.

Edited by MartinL
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let us please not use the word euthanasia here. Euthanasia is a specified process with a written letter of intention, a second opinion etc. It is called putting down, ending life, whatever, put also not "putting to sleep" if waking up is not the intended outcome.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

Let us please not use the word euthanasia here. Euthanasia is a specified process with a written letter of intention, a second opinion etc. It is called putting down, ending life, whatever, put also not "putting to sleep" if waking up is not the intended outcome.

I would rather used a term I have know for years in regards to animal is euthanise. Prefer that to putting down, to me that is terrible.

Maybe we could use the snowflake term of unalive them. How stupid.

Edited by Dazinoz
Corect spelling.
  • Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

What dictionary are you using?

The Oxford English Dictionary states;

euthanasia  
n    noun the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable disease or in an irreversible coma. 

ORIGIN
    C17: from Greek, from eu 'well' + thanatos 'death'.

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What dictionary are you using?

The Oxford English Dictionary states;

euthanasia  
n    noun the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable disease or in an irreversible coma. 

ORIGIN
    C17: from Greek, from eu 'well' + thanatos 'death'.

That is correct, the killing of a patient. But it's not done just like that but covered with an extensive and careful procedure. And it always requires the wish and consent of the patient. That is just my point.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

What is your point?

Just a name that has been used many many years.

Maybe I am a bit sensitive about this. In my professional life I have had to do with terminal patients and voluntary death. I remember it as a very sensitive and emotional procedure for all concerned. But in my opinion it does involve a careful deliberation of the patient him/herself and a free choice. Putting an animal out of its misery comes nowhere near. But if, as some seem to do, you just mean a kind way of causing death then OK, but as I said it has very different implications for me and I cannot use the term without that.

On 11/28/2023 at 8:39 PM, Dirk Z said:

Maybe I am a bit sensitive about this. In my professional life I have had to do with terminal patients and voluntary death. I remember it as a very sensitive and emotional procedure for all concerned. But in my opinion it does involve a careful deliberation of the patient him/herself and a free choice. Putting an animal out of its misery comes nowhere near. But if, as some seem to do, you just mean a kind way of causing death then OK, but as I said it has very different implications for me and I cannot use the term without that.

So you muddle and obscure the main point of the thread to satisfy your own personal emotional  issues about a dictionary definition ?

Well done and clearly much appreciated by all.

Now just let it go please.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

Thank you for your understanding. Much appreciated. But I was not only talking for myself but for many colleagues I know.

I am sure you must have some scintillating conversations down your local pub with your "colleagues" on this very hot and important topic. 

What do you call your group?

Is it the 'Pets Euthanasia Grammar Internet Tautology" (PEGIT) Group"? 

What a stupid and pointless stance over a simple word!

We are discussing putting dumb animals out of their misery, NOT humans!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

We are discussing putting dumb animals out of their misery, NOT humans!

Actually a lot of animals are smarter than a lot of the people I meet here. But still a good point on the use of a word.