Availability Of Transportation

HarryLL76

As I continue my plan move to Chiang Mai, I have another question. Because I am single, I hope to live in a somewhat central location. However, I will need to move around the city. I plan to maintain an active lifestyle. (Fitness center, fishing, walking, yoga, and so on) Ok, I am not going to do all these things every day. But, I will need to move around the city.

How about transportation? Is it easy to move around the city via taxi, private taxi, or do I need think of owning some form of transportation? I am thinking of maybe buying a motor scooter but not sure it is the best way to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Harry

Quick answers revolving around money and the effort you have to go through (either to own, e.g., registration, or find) since I saw only one response when I started this.

BUY A CAR:

1. Doesn't matter what size, but with air conditioning; will appreciate it 10 time over. You go everywhere when you wish and are protected from the rain and less likely to have an accident.

2. You need to live where you have assigned parking

3. You could hire a driver and never have to worry about parking.

BUY A MOTORCYCLE:

1. You have transportation when you want it.

2. Again, need a protected place to park it.

3. Limited ability to carry packages from stores, etc.

4. At the mercy of the weather.

USE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION (tuk-tuks, baht buses, etc.):

1. Still have transportation when you want it but not as quickly;

2. may go circuitous routes on baht bus unless you pay more.

3. Will have to bargain/specify price to tuk-tuks that do not know you, specially at popular sites (e.g., Airport Plaza) or returning in the evening from areas high-rolling tourists frequent.

4. May be hard to find in many locations at night (e.g., you go to a friends house); will have to arrange pick up.

5. May be at the mercy of the weather (more standing in the rain waiting than once on board); may deter you from trips on rainy days.

TAXIS:

1. On call; have to wait.

2. Known trips (e.g., flight out): can set pick up time the day before; taxi shows up on time.

3. Get to know one driver and just call on cell phone; good response but still have wait time. Have increased confidence in showing up on time.

4. Can set return time pick up.

BAHT BUSES:

1. Can use like a taxi; get cell phone number.

2. Pay more but usually less than taxi

3. You are the single passenger (and pay for that).

4. Ride up front if raining

5. Ride in back if you take group somewhere

Edited by noise

I'm living within a 15-20 minute walk of the moat and decided not to purchase a mortobike or car. So far it's working out. Between baht-busses (the red taxi trucks), tuk tuks, walking, and the occasional ride on the back of someone else's motobike I can get around just fine. Aside from walking, taxis & tuk-tuks, I also bought a a bicycle that good enough for both working out and for commuting, and since I don't need to cover huge distances that's just as useful to to me as having a motobike would be.

Edited by OriginalPoster

It's easy to get around CM from a central location via song thaews and tuk-tuks. Why not wait until you're here for a while before investing in some other form of transportation? Consider renting a car or motorcycle for a while just to see if it's right. You can always rent a vehicle short-terms for a weekend trip. We've hired a car and driver for some mini-vacations, also.

It's easy to get around CM from a central location via song thaews and tuk-tuks. Why not wait until you're here for a while before investing in some other form of transportation? Consider renting a car or motorcycle for a while just to see if it's right. You can always rent a vehicle short-terms for a weekend trip. We've hired a car and driver for some mini-vacations, also.

I agree with NancyL, when you are confident enough to ride a motorbike, just rent one the first month. For 2,500 baht per month you have an automatic.

You can decide later to buy a motorbike or car. The taxi company I used was very punctual (i can give you the tel.number)

Public transport when living in town (or along major roads out of town) is great. The Red Buses (Converted pick-ups that work like share taxis) take you any reasonable distance to common destinations in town for 15 baht. Or negotiate a bit more for off the beaten track / off the main roads type destinations. (Or a bit less for VERY short hops)

BAHT BUSES:

:rolleyes:

Public transport when living in town (or along major roads out of town) is great. The Red Buses (Converted pick-ups that work like share taxis) take you any reasonable distance to common destinations in town for 15 baht. Or negotiate a bit more for off the beaten track / off the main roads type destinations. (Or a bit less for VERY short hops)

BAHT BUSES:

:rolleyes:

Is 15 baht the common price for a trip within the central area ?

Yes it is. Though every once and a while I come across a Farlung who thinks it's 20, or who just doesn't bother with the 5 baht change. ;)

Note that it helps if you grab one in a sensible spot relative to your destination, i.e. not on the side of the road going the other way. And if at all possible then pick a common landmark for your destination; I often see tourists go shove a map in the driver's face and point at it. That, is futile. ;)