Legally Living, Working, And Retiring In Thailand

This was intended as a reply to teaching English in Thailand without a bachelor's degree, but that topic has been locked, so:

Okay. Regarding teaching English, I think we've determined that if schools don't do the paperwork properly it's the English language teacher that gets the shaft. Not to mention the fake degrees that can lead to jail time and deportation.

So, what's the alternative for people skilled in English but who do not have a bachelor's degree?

Shall we consider combining resources and starting a business?

There are several to choose from: an English school where we teach adults and children good English? Those who really want to learn as opposed to the horror stories of 60 students per class and no real way to teach them. It would require an investment to open a quality school, but perhaps if we combine our resources?

Or the more typical restaurant with farang and thai food?

Perhaps an internet cafe that provides both business oriented services (such as a copy machine, fax, etc.) plus a gaming section for Thais or expats who want to earn money through World of Warcraft or Second Life (check the article in Business Week magazine before you laugh. The article decribes the first person to officially earn $1,000,000 US dollars in Second Life.) What would that be worth to potential customers? A reasonable income for us I would think.

What about earning an income over the web? Ebay? A cash generating web site? Or ... ?

One catch is that a Thai has to own 51% of a business. Does anyone know of a Thai who can be trusted with the business ownership? I know of only one, but she's in the states and plans to move to Ko Sumai (sp?) when the time comes. Personally, I'd prefer the north, and on a quicker time frame.

I'm willing and able, and have a modest amount to invest. We'd need a person skilled in business and accounting, plus others with diverse skills.

Another catch is that I've heard and read that certain elements will demand "protection money" if you want to stay in business.

True?

If you're interested in discussing a possible business, please PM me since it's a bit off topic for the forum.

For other possible ways to obtain a legit Thai visa and work permit, go ahead and post.

Just trying to think outside the box for making a permanent move to Thailand.

Mods, is this okay?

One final concern -- Thais are still having political contention to put it mildly. Personally, I don't want to get caught in the middle of it, and I've read that a number of small businesses are going OUT of business because tourists are staying away. With that in mind, as much as I like Thailand, has anyone researched other countries in Asia that would be good to live, work, and retire in? PM would probably be best since the question is off topic for Thaivisa.

I've read good and bad things about many countries. Cambodia is less stringent with work permits and really wants English teachers, but the huge number of touts, along with children and old ladies aggressively begging for money would ruin that as a possibility, imo. Japan is a jewel, but requires a degree, and retirement is only if it's "good" for the country, according to an arbitrary decision. Philippines? Possibly. I'm just beginning to look into it, but again, there's the good with with the bad.

Any thoughts or ideas, please post or PM.

One catch is that a Thai has to own 51% of a business

That is not necessarily the case. If you are an American citizen (and have 1 other US shareholder and a 3rd shareholder of any nationality), you can establish a US Amity company that is 100% owned by non-Thais.

If you operate a business in certain areas, such as hotel management, you do not need any Thai shareholders.

But then it works the other way in some of your suggestions. AFAIK, to open a language school, you need to have a 'figurehead' Thai national who is suitably qualified in that sector.

If you operate an internet shop, you are likely to meet the 'copyright' police who could claim that your PCs have illicit software, (they could even install this software themselves after using your internet services).

Protection money? Highly unlikely unless you are in direct competition with existing Thai businesses, and they would probably find another way to force you out of business.

Tourist business? Don't believe the stories that all is bad in the tourism sector. My 'ex' is still pulling in a very decent profit from her (our??) Phuket hotel.

Online businesses are attractive because they can usually be managed from any geographical location, but it can be difficult or expensive to establish them as a legitimate Thai business, (meaning that such businesses can often be operated by a single person - yourself - and legitimising them in Thailand would require a company registration, Thai staff etc)

Simon

Gambling is illegal in Thailand. You can find many teaching jobs that do not require a degree or a TESOL course but a work permit would be necessary, the school would prepare the paperwork for the Ministry of Labour. Many government schools hire English teachers thru agencies where a degree is not necessary, and they do not ask for a work permit as usually the hours are limited. Many smaller schools will hire you because you are a native English speaker without degree or work permit This is my personal experience.

Simon,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that a business could be owned by non-Thais.

The copyright police sound rather disturbing though. As long as I set the computers up so only the admin can install software, and the users would login as guests I think I should be okay, but then new hacker software comes out everyday, and the copyright police could possibly bypass the hacker security and then demand a payoff. Not an inviting business environment.

If I can earn income through my own web site in my apartment, would I even have to register as a business?

Good luck in Phuket. I hope you're getting a % of the profits for the hotel.

Colabamumbai,

Yes, gambling is illegal in Thailand. I've read that a number of people make a good living with poker, a game of skill, but my skill level isn't such that I would take a chance on that.

I've read elsewhere on Thaivisa that doing any work, even part time without a work permit is strictly illegal and can lead to jail time and deportatoin.

Yes, my English is good, but I guess I would have to brush up on things like "intransitive verbs" and other obscure defintions. Not fun for the teacher or students, imo.

Do any other Asian countries stand out as friendly to expats, work, and general relative quality?

Simon,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that a business could be owned by non-Thais.

The copyright police sound rather disturbing though. As long as I set the computers up so only the admin can install software, and the users would login as guests I think I should be okay, but then new hacker software comes out everyday, and the copyright police could possibly bypass the hacker security and then demand a payoff. Not an inviting business environment.

If I can earn income through my own web site in my apartment, would I even have to register as a business?

Good luck in Phuket. I hope you're getting a % of the profits for the hotel.

Colabamumbai,

Yes, gambling is illegal in Thailand. I've read that a number of people make a good living with poker, a game of skill, but my skill level isn't such that I would take a chance on that.

I've read elsewhere on Thaivisa that doing any work, even part time without a work permit is strictly illegal and can lead to jail time and deportatoin.

Yes, my English is good, but I guess I would have to brush up on things like "intransitive verbs" and other obscure defintions. Not fun for the teacher or students, imo.

Do any other Asian countries stand out as friendly to expats, work, and general relative quality?

I have been told to check out Cambodia, Thailand has changed very much in the past 35 years since I made my first trips here.

all your business ideas seem to come from the box which has accumulated nothing but losses:lol: :lol:

True. I'm looking at ways to make a living in Thailand without teaching, if teaching isn't the right course of action for me, but opening an internet cafe or restaurant isn't thinking outside the box of what has been done many times before.

Just throwing some ideas out there in hopes that someone who lives in Thailand can see something I don't see, or a forming a group to create a legit business.

Life goes on, and possibilities exist...

"people skilled in English but who do not have a bachelor's degree?"

Ah, yes, another one. I speak English, have spoken it all my life, and even went to school in an English speaking country. I must be able to teach it! ermm.gif

all your business ideas seem to come from the box which has accumulated nothing but losses:lol: :lol:

True. I'm looking at ways to make a living in Thailand without teaching, if teaching isn't the right course of action for me, but opening an internet cafe or restaurant isn't thinking outside the box of what has been done many times before.

Just throwing some ideas out there in hopes that someone who lives in Thailand can see something I don't see, or a forming a group to create a legit business.

Life goes on, and possibilities exist...

30 yrs in Pattaya, & other places in country, but mostly Pattaya, a website called Ajarn.com can give you some insight to teaching & living in Thailand.