Supermarket Watch,,,,And The Winner Is ?

OK been meaning to do this or ages, so today i visited the 4 main supermarkets with a shopping list of what could be considered an average weekly shop, to find out who is and who isn't.

Fruit, veg and meat are per kilo, everything else is identical brand and weight. In the event of a product no being available IE, fresh cut Brie in Makro, Onions in Tesco, and Pork Mince and beans in Tops, i took an average from the other 3. If a product wasn't available in 2 or more i disbanded the item from the list. If an item was on offer, the offer price is used. Where i was unsure if an identical brand will be available, i have chosen the home brand (eggs).

Now i did this for a bit of fun and share info. Of course we all have our favorites, and rewards cards.....so no sarcasm thank you.

I am not going to list the brand names or weights etc, but they are all identical.

Big C Makro Tesco Tops

Milk 39 39 39 43

Butter 75 72 75 75

Fresh cut Brie 2300 p/kg 1966 1800 1800

eggs 37 36 47 54

French Stick 29 22 31 49

Box Singha small 690 692 692 692

Chicken breast skin on 75 p/kg 73 104 152

Pork Mince 105 p/kg 114 109 110

Onions 38 p/kg 19 35 47

Tomatoes 29 p/kg 45 25 33

Potatoes 50 p/kg 29 39 59

Water melon 29 p/kg 13 17 34

O/Juice 69 66 61 57

Smirnoff 70cl 599 595 599 659

Drinking water 52 51 54 64

Toilet roll 35 31 31 35

Kitchen Cleaner 60 56 60 47

Washing Powder 55 45 55 55

Cat Food 34 34 35 40

Tuna 33 29 34 34

Baked beans 33 30 33 32

AND THE WINNERS ARE ........

Total 4466 4057 3875 4168

4th Big c 4468

Tops 4168

Makro 4057

Tesco 3875

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool, pretty helpful actually, I always knew that Top's is bloody expensive, but what is worse, their products are more than often out of date as well. Thanks.

Bloody expensive?? TOPS is only 111b more so then the 'warehouse store' and cheaper then Big C by some margin... There are always stores that are cheaper on some products some days and others other days even Villa near us has many common products that are cheaper then the big stores. That's where it pays to be a savvy shopper but not worth it to hold off just for few baht savings cause you'll just use it up in fuel unless you plan to purchase several items that are limited to certain stores which is how I shop..

JFYI While I myself avoiding purchasing out of date it doesn't mean harmful either, that's a myth..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Cool, pretty helpful actually, I always knew that Top's is bloody expensive, but what is worse, their products are more than often out of date as well. Thanks.

Bloody expensive?? TOPS is only 111b more so then the 'warehouse store' and cheaper then Big C by some margin... There are always stores that are cheaper on some products some days and others other days even Villa near us has many common products that are cheaper then the big stores. That's where it pays to be a savvy shopper but not worth it to hold off just for few baht savings cause you'll just use it up in fuel unless you plan to purchase several items that are limited to certain stores which is how I shop..

JFYI While I myself avoiding purchasing out of date it doesn't mean harmful either, that's a myth..

I do really agree with you. Further considerations are to be taken in account, not just the bare price. I am used to go to Villa once a week and I am well aware that is averagely more expensive than others. But it also offer a fidelity card that gives me a 3%+ discount on the bill and it actually keeps some foreign food that you hardly find elsewhere (for sure not in BigC, Lotus). Transportation cost is to be included. Spent time also (IMO). And also I want to mention courtesy. I had a couple of small problems in the past and they were solved in a blink. This, I have to admit, kept me visiting them regularly.

Anyway I do believe that all (or most) of the people is already aware of all these "additional features" and they keep them in account.

Therefore a good "thank you" is mandatory for GINQUEEN30 who spent his/her time for this research for the benefit of everybody.

;)

Not that I am a BigC fan, but if they stopped selling brie, their total would drop to 3986, making them no2 on your list.

And although I can appreciate Brie, i don't spend close to 10,000 baht on Brie per month. Better take the Brie item out, as it is now responsible for half of the totals...

Rest of the list is very informative though.

I take your point Gulf sailor, however cheese is a commodity we from the west would normally buy on a weekly basis, and Brie was the only one which i new varied in price, everyone would know and that they stocked, and all cheese is expensive,,so which ever example would push the cart price up.

Whats French Stick?

Baguette

I prefer the Tesco french stick/ baguette, the 42 baht ones will last a few days, where as the cheaper ones are OK if you can eat fresh the same day. (paying for preservatives I guess! ) Big C's Baguettes are smaller & too dry for my liking!

Know that Tesco is selling the large boxes of Kellogg's Cornflakes, I don't have to go to Big C anymore ... I think because Tesco has a larger turn over their products are generally fresher... they seem to clear out, "Sell by date" items regularly. I saw they had the Seriously Cheddar taped together, 2 for 1 today.... never seems to move at one small block for 299 baht.

I find it amusing that Yogurt has a discount sign for price reduction, but the price never changes! Been 46 baht for 4 tubs for as long as I can remember...

I am with you on the Tesco French stick/baguette. (I think that they call it restaurant bread)

At 42 baht it is more expensive, but it's more tasty and if you wrap it in foil it lasts 3 days.

Observation about Big C - small one plate meals are tasty and they normally have a wider range of salami's, hams, cheese etc. BUT their bread is rubbish.

Makro for me wins hands down. I stay away from the deli (I think it must be run by a sub contractor as all prices are higher than at Carrefour or Foodland.) If you take out the Brie and tomatoes on sale now Makro is equal and look at the foreign foods, and bulk items. Makro is like Costco or Sam's club without a annual membership fee. (I would gladly pay)

As some things I require are not available in either Big C or Lotus but are in Makro, I usually visit at least 2 and sometimes 3 shops on the same day (they are all close together). That way I can get the cheapest price available on every item.

But over time if you check carefully, promotions (which generally last about 1-/14 days) repeat themselves every 3/4 months. The trick is to stock up on promotion items (providing they are what you use), for the time period until the next anticipated promotion.

I do really agree with you. Further considerations are to be taken in account, not just the bare price. I am used to go to Villa once a week and I am well aware that is averagely more expensive than others. But it also offer a fidelity card that gives me a 3%+ discount on the bill and it actually keeps some foreign food that you hardly find elsewhere (for sure not in BigC, Lotus). Transportation cost is to be included. Spent time also (IMO). And also I want to mention courtesy. I had a couple of small problems in the past and they were solved in a blink. This, I have to admit, kept me visiting them regularly.

Anyway I do believe that all (or most) of the people is already aware of all these "additional features" and they keep them in account.

Therefore a good "thank you" is mandatory for GINQUEEN30 who spent his/her time for this research for the benefit of everybody.

;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As some things I require are not available in either Big C or Lotus but are in Makro, I usually visit at least 2 and sometimes 3 shops on the same day (they are all close together). That way I can get the cheapest price available on every item.

But over time if you check carefully, promotions (which generally last about 1-/14 days) repeat themselves every 3/4 months. The trick is to stock up on promotion items (providing they are what you use), for the time period until the next anticipated promotion.

Leaving price aside as there's really not a huge difference I prefer Makro because its convenient. Tesco is too much hassle and takes too long and Big C is OK if I want to have the Moscow shopping experience circa 1975....

Makro is especially pleasant in April for some reason.....

Leaving price aside as there's really not a huge difference I prefer Makro because its convenient. Tesco is too much hassle and takes too long and Big C is OK if I want to have the Moscow shopping experience circa 1975....

Ginqueen30 thanks for all the research, very interesting. Hope you will update regularly!

As an aside but slightly related, it seems that Tops generally only hold small stocks with a very slow replenishment system. I have to be quick to get my kippers, and more than 2 cans of draught beer at a time is impossible.

Tescos constantly make things interesting by putting items in areas where you would least expect to find them. Last week, dog food in the camping area.

But worst of all why are there myriads of staff in Big C constantly stocking up the shelves during opening times and blocking up the aisles with trolleys the size of a Panzer? Most supermarkets carry out these tasks during night hours. :bah:

Ginqueen30 thanks for all the research, very interesting. Hope you will update regularly!

As an aside but slightly related, it seems that Tops generally only hold small stocks with a very slow replenishment system. I have to be quick to get my kippers, and more than 2 cans of draught beer at a time is impossible.

Tescos constantly make things interesting by putting items in areas where you would least expect to find them. Last week, dog food in the camping area.

But worst of all why are there myriads of staff in Big C constantly stocking up the shelves during opening times and blocking up the aisles with trolleys the size of a Panzer? Most supermarkets carry out these tasks during night hours. :bah:

Yes sorry forgot to say....thanks Ginqueen for putting in the hard work! :thumbsup:

i want to thank you for this as my wife is convinced that makro is the place to shop i like tessco and often find myself at Big C and on occassion use tops which always makes me feel guilty because thought i was paying too much, now i have a better grasp of things and can see where using the combination of shops is still needed but i will continue to use tessco as my main supplier and we can top off at maccro. big c is now out of the loope

Thank you Ginqueen. We also use a combo of Tesco & Makro. Depending on what we are buying & quantities. Tesco have made a great effort with their fresh produce quality , Makro has some good moments, but in general inferior quality or not fresh.

Good point, Tops staff do the same, can't get near the veggies until midday. We do all our dry goods shopping at Saengphet in Nathon. It's worth the trip and they are cheaper than anyone on the island, ginqueen please check it out. Some items are carried by only one store, I'm addicted to sardines on toast and canned sardines are only available at Villa in Buddy's Lamai