Supermarket Watch,,,,And The Winner Is ?

Thanks Ginqueen30, you did a nice job. The result surprised me. I live in a place with relatively few westerners. I considered Tesco Lotus expensive because I found identical product priced lower at the local market. The only other 'big' shop in the neighborhood is a recently opened Makro. I also suspect there are price differences within the the same food chain brand depending the location. May be the subject of a new study? I would be glad to cooperate/help.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about organising a sort of "Thai Visa supermarket sweep?"

Can you explain that please Carmine.

You get to rush around the supermarket for a set period of time and however much you get to fill your trolley with you get to keep for free. It was very popular on daytime tv in the UK.

You get to rush around the supermarket for a set period of time and however much you get to fill your trolley with you get to keep for free. It was very popular on daytime tv in the UK.

No no its all about mince. Or more specifically mincing. ;)

No no its all about mince. Or more specifically mincing. ;)

Smokie, can you please use plain English & not code please.:blink:

I am having my semi annual "island fever" release & staying Krabi..... Yesterday I checked out the local Tesco Lotus...

In checking out some of the usual things I would normally buy, there was little or no difference in prices compared to Samui.... Same sign on Yogurt "price off" 46 baht for four tubs!

The food court, has same food selection, but without the annoying lunch time music show!:whistling:

KFC ice cream cone, 10 baht here,,,, Samui 15 baht!

Not get too much off topic, there is more tourists here than I expected to see... many bars & restaurants are reasonable busy.... More Pizza joints than in Rome! :)

thanx people for your positive and appreciative replies,,i will give it a few months then do another, same preoducts,,even though the Brie caused concern,,but the example being 600thb a kilo different,,,,,,i did for fun myself,,but happy it helped.......and the only sarcastic comment was from me ,,,,happy days and Thai smiley faces biggrin.gif

Thanks for interesting post.

Two things - Sampet has the best prices on some of the smaller imported items the bigger stores don't carry. It also has some interesting features the international chains don't - you certainly know you are on Samui!

Another survey could be taken on least excruciating shopping experience. Makro has been better (in my view) than Tesco ( endless jingles and blasting in-store promotions) but is now catching up. Big C for some reason is the hardest for me. The smaller stores are all much better on the noise front. Some people also seem to find the endless banks of fluorescent lights at the 'super'stores cause them problems.

GinQueen30, maybe you could do a column for a local paper? Let them pay for the petrol ;)

Thanks for interesting post.

Two things - Sampet has the best prices on some of the smaller imported items the bigger stores don't carry. It also has some interesting features the international chains don't - you certainly know you are on Samui!

Another survey could be taken on least excruciating shopping experience. Makro has been better (in my view) than Tesco ( endless jingles and blasting in-store promotions) but is now catching up. Big C for some reason is the hardest for me. The smaller stores are all much better on the noise front. Some people also seem to find the endless banks of fluorescent lights at the 'super'stores cause them problems.

GinQueen30, maybe you could do a column for a local paper? Let them pay for the petrol ;)

:) And the beauty is Saengphet will let you open an account and you pay at the end of the month. Also all liquor and wines they'll knock off 10% from their listed wholesale price. All the locals shop here and that speaks for itself ! They even have a toilet with toilet rolls !

They used to be the original supplier to all the hotels on the island, well before all the other specialty shops started.They have a great variety of spirits not found anywhere else at very reasonable prices.

Glad they fixed the toilets, still having nightmares about the old ones.

And where exactly in Nathon is Saengphet/ Sampet / San Pet store located? Please pardon my ignorance. :jap:

OK Directions; from the North, drive South through Nathon town and main road, past Kasikorn Bank on your left and another 100 m. turn right at the junction towards the sea (silent lifesize cop facing you here), then past Boncafe on your left and then look for a large godown (warehouse) on your left with parking with the store next, part of the compound.

When I started my life on Samui in the 80s as a young guy there was no supermarket anywhere. Just very simple and very old fashioned local shops here and there without anything western. Actually there were no shops selling furniture, electronics or anything. All have to be brought over from Surat Thani.

At that time people were very relaxed. You guys can't imagine how pristine Samui was before. Can't remember any problems at all. People were beautiful. Magic was in the air. Everything was smooth and very relaxed. No electricity for one week - no problem.

The first supermarket, which had somewhere in the back cheese and Salami, was in Nathon on the corner left opposite the market. The owner was a nice, very handsome fellow, a biker. He was shot.....a second supermarket was on Chaweng.

Later Tesco opened. And with that the old ways were gone. People said there is a time before Tesco and after Tesco.

Edited by Birdman

I totally agree with everyone regarding sanphet use them often myself,,,,when,,,,i have reason to go to Nathon,,,,and as they don't sell fresh meat and veg would not really give a fair comparison,,,,,,,however i could include them up to a point if i do again more as a price difference on dry and canned goods,,,,they used to do some great Baxters Chutneys,,but not seen in a while, and if anyone can suggest a cheese other than brie and prepacked i will be happy to swap,,,maybe Edam as i think they all stock that????

When I started my life on Samui in the 80s as a young guy there was no supermarket anywhere. Just very simple and very old fashioned local shops here and there without anything western. Actually there were no shops selling furniture, electronics or anything. All have to be brought over from Surat Thani.

At that time people were very relaxed. You guys can't imagine how pristine Samui was before. Can't remember any problems at all. People were beautiful. Magic was in the air. Everything was smooth and very relaxed. No electricity for one week - no problem.

The first supermarket, which had somewhere in the back cheese and Salami, was in Nathon on the corner left opposite the market. The owner was a nice, very handsome fellow, a biker. He was shot.....a second supermarket was on Chaweng.

Later Tesco opened. And with that the old ways were gone. People said there is a time before Tesco and after Tesco.

Wasn't the original owner of Sanphet shot for trying to open one in Chaweng Birdman? His wife runs it now.

Wasn't the original owner of Sanphet shot for trying to open one in Chaweng Birdman? His wife runs it now.

they said so, but I don't know if it's true or not.

I think the first attempt to start a supermarket was Bill the Swede and the building still stands in South Chaweng. Previous to this, he was the only source of butter and bacon on the island which he used to hand carry down packed in dry ice, from BKK on the train every two weeks ! Then a German opened Nowi Deli next door. Both these guys are still around, true entrepreneurs !

Bugger and i asked for NO sarcasm,,,,well nobody,,,,,,, even me can be perfect blink.gif

Hey I am perfect I remmember my mother telling me.

Good survey will add my pennies worth. I find Villa Mart very expensive but they do carry a decent range, i find Tesco expensive too but it could be lack of competition here in Hua Hin we only have Tesco and Villa Mart but we do have a couple of decent Thai supermarkets. However for fresh fruit and veg use the local markets you will help out the local community and prices they charge are vastly lower not just pennies but at times 50%

I think the first attempt to start a supermarket was Bill the Swede and the building still stands in South Chaweng. Previous to this, he was the only source of butter and bacon on the island which he used to hand carry down packed in dry ice, from BKK on the train every two weeks ! Then a German opened Nowi Deli next door. Both these guys are still around, true entrepreneurs !

Was it not at the place of the First hotel? Or a little bit further? Nowi was way later than Bill's Supermarket. I think they are in Nathon now. There is also a closed Nowi on the street to Raja ferry.