Samed Ferry Scam

Longbow212

Just a heads up on a minor but very annoying and deliberate scam at Ban Phe to allow others to avoid it,

Recently went to Koh Samed on the minivan from victory monument. I was dropped off in a car park opposite the police station. Immediately I was approached and ushered to buy tickets for the ferry at an official looking area at the side of the car park...at this point alarm bells starting ringing but I was cautious and specific about what I wanted despite the repeated attempts to urge me to buy speed boat tickets.....

Anyway bought two return tickets for the ferry for 200bht, at departure time we were taken two a pier by a tuk tuk which was less than 5 mins walk away. Upon boarding we were told our tickets were not valid and that we has been lied to - the woman only sells speed boat tickets and has nothing to do with the local ferry. Apparently she does this a lot. Walking back would have meant missing the last ferry.

The name of the agency/desk that sold us the tickets is *******. Based on the information I have provided you may wish to avoid doing any kind of transaction with these people.

Edited by Mario2008
name deleted - no naming and shaming
  • Like 2

Buy the tickets on the ferry (I'm sure I paid 50bht)

Buy the park ticket from the Park official on the beach (20bht with Thai driving licence ..... or was it 40?)

Why not to buy return ferry ticket, of ticket from booth

Several ferry operators, pre-paid ticket only good for 1 operator.

Why not pay park ticket in advance, they will only sell at white person price (200bht) and then they keep the extra 180bht.

Then you can't get ripped off by anyone.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Buy the park ticket from the Park official on the beach (20bht with Thai driving licence ..... or was it 40?)

Why not pay park ticket in advance, they will only sell at white person price (200bht) and then they keep the extra 180bht.

Yes, ferry tickets are 50bht. When I have bought on previous occasions it was always at the pier where you get on the boat and can actually see the ferry - that's were I strongly recommend buying one from.

I disagree with the comment about the dual pricing. I speak enough Thai to explain I live and work it Thailand so it was only 40bht and not 200. They accepted with no quarrels, quite pleasant to be treated like a Thai person for a change and another reason why I really like Samed.

Yes, ferry tickets are 50bht. When I have bought on previous occasions it was always at the pier where you get on the boat and can actually see the ferry - that's were I strongly recommend buying one from.

I disagree with the comment about the dual pricing. I speak enough Thai to explain I live and work it Thailand so it was only 40bht and not 200. They accepted with no quarrels, quite pleasant to be treated like a Thai person for a change and another reason why I really like Samed.

If you go on a speed boat (200bt each last time) you generally land on an isolated beach and pay nothing to enter the park.

That is also what Sarahsbloke said. So it seems you agree with the comment about paying 20 or 40 Baht for parking.

Hi, I live in Ban Phe. Not debating with you but in the last 2 years havnt heard of not one scam here regarding the ferries or speedboats that has affected tourists. I also frequented the island never had 1 issue, maybe there was just some misunderstanding or possibly u did get ripped of but i wud have expected to hear many other stories about this issue. If u ever come back my wife and i will get you 2 free ferry tickets to put your mind at ease. Just come into Bedrock Guesthouse and ask for me.

Cheers Mark