Farang Car Ownership Issues In Cmai

jayinoz

I have been getting quite a few stories that upon renewing your car rego (Yearly Government insurance) many Farangs are being told they cannot.These older Farangs swear to me that I will not be able to renew my yearly rego this month. Making me somewhat nervous- as I do not wish to put my car into any Thai name.Am I being told a lot of bs or are the old fellas being taken advantage of by their girls. I would gather the latter...Anyway has any car owners had trouble renewing yearly? Also I am told after 10 years of age (Car) you need to get a Road Worthy or pay them off- is this correct or another Wopper with cheese.Cheersjay

My car is registered in my name and I paid my year's tax in March with no problems. 3 years ago I was told by the tax office that I needed to get a certificate from a local garage to prove the vehicle was roadworthy before they would issue the tax disc.

Now, every year I stop at the garage for the 10 minute test (breaks, exhaust emissions, indicators and lights, no steering test) on the way to the tax office. Cost 100 baht.

5 minutes in the tax office and I'm out with my new tax sticker. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found any recent changes.

Edited by delboy

Unless you have less than 30 days remaining on whatever visa you have, I don't understand why re-registering your vehicle should pose any problem. I always use an agent, Blue book, signed copy of passport, license, and a few baht extra, ready for collection next day, job done.

I understood that MOT type tests were only required when a vehicle is 8 or more years old (.. but don't quote me on that)

Unless you have less than 30 days remaining on whatever visa you have, I don't understand why re-registering your vehicle should pose any problem. I always use an agent, Blue book, signed copy of passport, license, and a few baht extra, ready for collection next day, job done.

I understood that MOT type tests were only required when a vehicle is 8 or more years old (.. but don't quote me on that)

I've never had to show my passport or license at the registration office, just hand over my blue book, and the fee.

Yes, the test was only required when my car was over 8 years old, and you need to produce your insurance documents before they will carry out the test.

My car is registered in my name and I paid my year's tax in March with no problems. 3 years ago I was told by the tax office that I needed to get a certificate from a local garage to prove the vehicle was roadworthy before they would issue the tax disc.

Now, every year I stop at the garage for the 10 minute test (breaks, exhaust emissions, indicators and lights, no steering test) on the way to the tax office. Cost 100 baht.

5 minutes in the tax office and I'm out with my new tax sticker. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found any recent changes.

Well these 2 guys state they went into the tax office with the papers and test confirmed to be told- 'you Farang you cannot have car now'. Upon asking the guys further the car was registered in CMai yet they went into a countryside Lumphun tax office. I told them I am sure if you go to CMai then all will be OK- as out in the sticks they have no idea.

They then state they went into the CMai office and the Lumphun office had marked something on their car book- ultimately the car could not be registered again unless in a Thai name. So they needed to put into the old Farang guys gf name at the time.

Now they breaking up shortly after, the car worth approx. 1 Mio baht and all hel_l is breaking loose. Probably breaking up over the car issues and now she finally has something of value in her name, she is DONE. As she 30yo and he 77yo.

So I personally think he has been stitched up by the tax office in Lumphun- they probably marked the book as in dispute over ownership between Farang and Thai. So naturally they convinced the man to hand over to younger wife.

When I suggest this may be the case they simply state what do you know you only 33 and been here less than 6yrs. We near 80 yo and we been here over 20yr. So you do not know what you talking about- you niave like we used to be.....

This sounds weird, unless possibly the wife/gf is paying installments against the full purchase of the car. In such a case, she might be protesting her ownership of the car ? But, having the re-registration required to be put in a Thai's name, except for the possible reasons stated above, does appear suspicious.

I've never had to show my passport or license at the registration office, just hand over my blue book, and the fee.

Yes, the test was only required when my car was over 8 years old, and you need to produce your insurance documents before they will carry out the test.

Well my car a 2001 model so it will probably need the MOT test. Anyway I will walk into the tax office with book and see what they say.

Where do you get your test done and what is the cost?

Also does the rego lapse on the day marked on book, as I am a couple of weeks over. Will I have issues?

Is it better to have a Thai go pay for you in the tax office, or makes no difference? I assume it must be the owner with ID.

Especially if a couple of weeks overdue. It not like they send out reminder letters out here in Thailand. I simply looked at it the other day when the old guys were talking about their registering issues- I thought Ohhh crap my car is probably overdue. :whistling:

Only bought the thing 5 months ago, so I would have thought they re-register when you changing ownership in car office but no. The Car book states 24th Aug as last payment 2009.

In thinking about it- they do not re-register on change of ownership in Aussie either. So I am overdue.

The garage I go to is quite near the registration office that I use, the office told me where to get the test done, it's probably a relation that runs the garage. They charge me 100 baht. I just get it all done myself.

The registration expires on the day stated and they charge you for time over that date. You are allowed to renew up to 21 days in advance.

Nothing has changed! There are questions you need to ask yourself too. Did you pay cash and the full amount for your car? Is it your name and address in the registration book? If this is the case you can re register the car in your name..UNLESS... there is any hire purchase agreement still current, in which case your girlfriend would be named as guarantor. Bear in mind that she might have put a lien on the ownership if she has been making payments on your behalf.

You need no papers other than the renewal form, and the receipt for your roadworthy test and the registration book.

It didn't say on the letter where it came from? :rolleyes:

Anyway it's not a tax office, it's the Department of Land Transportation office and it's on the Hang Dong road, on the left side before you get to Big C. Just go in with your registration booklet and pay a fine for being over due, in addition to the usual fee.

http://www.chiangmaidlt.go.th/

Or maybe just keep doing what so many Farlungs seem to do: drive on unregistered and uninsured and then whine about it and/or claim racism when their luck runs out? ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

The Land Transport Dept. for registration/tax payment/driver license is 400m before the intersection of BigC on Hang Dong road. If the car is older then 7 years a vehicle check is needed as mentioned. Map below shows where I had my inspection done and is about 2km South past BigC at the intersection of Hang Dong and road going to Night Safari (3 way stop light intersection).

post-566-061072200 1283822074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tywais
Map change

There is a drive through one in Nong Hoi opposite Holiday Inn. Very quick and easy and helpfull.

Iain

If this bloke in Lamphun has given his wife the car, and they are now splitting up, he will get the car back if he can prove that he paid for it with funds he had before they were married. This is basic Thai divorce law. You get back what you went into the marriage with.

Never had a problem, then I do not bother to go myself, I call the local garage, thet come and pick the car up, later in the day they bring it back with the new tax, The Lady owner of the garage also is an insurance Agent so also sorts out my insurance..

Pay Car tax, pay Insurance + pay 200 baht for them to come pick up the car, do test, go to get new tax and deliver car back to me. Another years gone by must call them again for tax in October..

You can go either to the place in Hang Dong or the place in Nong Hoi as mentioned. There is a place on Faham Road (across from where the large Italian restaurant used to be) to get the inspection and certificate - 100 THB. One poster mentioned there was a fee if you were late? I renewed both my insurance policies on the date they were due but didn't make it over to get my registration for another 2 weeks. I wasn't charged 50 Satang more for being 2 weeks late? I was in and out in less than 5 minutes, no late fee at all.

Well these 2 guys state they went into the tax office with the papers and test confirmed to be told- 'you Farang you cannot have car now'. Upon asking the guys further the car was registered in CMai yet they went into a countryside Lumphun tax office. I told them I am sure if you go to CMai then all will be OK- as out in the sticks they have no idea.

They then state they went into the CMai office and the Lumphun office had marked something on their car book- ultimately the car could not be registered again unless in a Thai name. So they needed to put into the old Farang guys gf name at the time.

Now they breaking up shortly after, the car worth approx. 1 Mio baht and all hel_l is breaking loose. Probably breaking up over the car issues and now she finally has something of value in her name, she is DONE. As she 30yo and he 77yo.

So I personally think he has been stitched up by the tax office in Lumphun- they probably marked the book as in dispute over ownership between Farang and Thai. So naturally they convinced the man to hand over to younger wife.

When I suggest this may be the case they simply state what do you know you only 33 and been here less than 6yrs. We near 80 yo and we been here over 20yr. So you do not know what you talking about- you niave like we used to be.....

You can't own a car if you're on a tourist visa. Apart from that, I can't think why they were refused.

You can't own a car if you're on a tourist visa. Apart from that, I can't think why they were refused.

Incorrect about the owning a car or bike on a tourist visa .I have known people to get a letter at their consulate or Immigration and they bought and register the vehicle at Chiang Mai LTD on a tourist visa.

>>You can't own a car if you're on a tourist visa<<

More miss information .I have taken ownership of both a car and motorcycle while on a tourist visa .You just need to have at least a month left on your visa .

I have seen tourist get a license and car on a 30 day arrival stamp

How did they get past the requirement for a certificate of residency?

Or maybe they had one from their consulate........"I do solemnly swear that my income....................................................." :whistling:

Or maybe they had one from their consulate........"I do solemnly swear that my income....................................................." :whistling:

Nothing to do with income. I'm not saying everybody has or can do this but I have seen individuals with as little as a 30 arrival stamp receive a CR from Immigration and the US Consulate and obtain their DL and car registration form the LTD. It just depends on the people behind the desk at the time.

Nothing to do with income. I'm not saying everybody has or can do this but I have seen individuals with as little as a 30 arrival stamp receive a CR from Immigration and the US Consulate and obtain their DL and car registration form the LTD. It just depends on the people behind the desk at the time.

Sorry, I wasn't focusing on the income.

I thought that in order to buy anything from a Honda Dream up, you must produce a certificate of residency from Thai immigration, stating exactly what it is you intend to buy. Immigration will not issue COR on 30 day visas.

That's why I mentioned the consulate issued COR......I'm not sure about this.

Sorry, I wasn't focusing on the income.

I thought that in order to buy anything from a Honda Dream up, you must produce a certificate of residency from Thai immigration, stating exactly what it is you intend to buy. Immigration will not issue COR on 30 day visas.

That's why I mentioned the consulate issued COR......I'm not sure about this.

There was a time.....:whistling:

Got mine done last month at Nong Hoi office. Had the check at the garage next door (to the right if you're facing the drive thru center from the road) for an extortionate 200Baht and they sold me the compulsory insurance with another 100 on top, but at least I didn't have to queue! Girl was cute and lent me her motorbike to go to the ATM whilst the car was being checked (5 mins).

Drive thru office asked for no paperwork other than the blue book, test certificate and insurance.

Edited by naboo

>>You can't own a car if you're on a tourist visa<<

More miss information .I have taken ownership of both a car and motorcycle while on a tourist visa .You just need to have at least a month left on your visa .

I do apologize. What I should have said is: 'About 4 years ago in Thailand I was denied the right to own my own vehicle on the basis that I had a tourist visa'. That was first hand, rather than second or third hand experience. I hope this clears things up and apologize for the 'miss information' (whoever she is...;))

Edited by hanuman1

I've got an old Toyota Hi-Lux registered in my name.

Got tax & insurance yesterday at holiday inn office.

Went to the vehicle testing place next door first.

Paid insurance at the same time. 1100 B

Went to the drive thru window paid the tax. 1100 B

About 30 mins total.

Got done by the cops the day before.

"but officer, its not a full year out of date yet" !